BASH the whistlesmiths! BASH'EM!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
McHaffie
antispam: No

Post by McHaffie »

Well, I guess I'll jump in on this one too. First off, OUCH! and my sympathies for those that have had some painful experiences as of late!

On the subject of whistle-order times, I will say this much on the part of whistlesmiths including myself. Making whistles part-time, combined with strange events that life seems to send peoples way sometimes, can really mess up schedules, and perpetuate wait times, etc.

I know that in the first part of this year, I did really well in keeping to my schedule, and I got several compliments and life was grand. Then I personally had some trouble with my epilepsy, and banged myself up pretty good, and did some hospital time. After getting new medication sorted out, I was right back on it, making up for lost time as best I could. THEN my Grandmother fell very ill, probably not going to make it according to the doctors (she did however, thank god) and I am the only one near her to take care of her needs. Along the way there have been other private things to sprout up, but life is well now, and getting back to normal.

I have even gone so far as to stop taking orders until the beginning of next year sometime, so I can get all my orders done and out to my people who have ordered from me. With new designs I have dreamed up and all, this is a VERY difficult decision, but a necessary one in my opinion.

So before you go getting to awfully hardened against anyone, remember that there just might be some personal reasons that they just might not want to bother anyone with. Double edged sword... tell or don't tell? Either way, someone gets annoyed.

And on an end note, I personally have learned that quality seems to be in the eye of the beholder. Although I have had a few problems with my whistles and sets, I also have had MANY people give me nice compliments, and have even gone so far as to exclusively play my whistles. Now THAT is one of the best feelings out there, and I know that every whistlesmith has a few of these.

Anyway, take care all, and great thread.

John McHaffie
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I recently bought a hand-made instrument (not a whistle, though) directly from the small scale maker. It took 6 weeks longer to arrive than he originally said it would, and communicating with him was very difficult. I managed to temper my irritation with the knowledge that I could have bought the instrument through a third party and paid about $75 more (for a $350 instrument) to have faster delivery and better customer service. I think I'll keep my $75. If the maker wants to concentrate on making quality instruments instead of holding the customers' hands and rushing to meet deadlines, I say let them!