Water Weasels.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whistle1000

Water Weasels.

Post by whistle1000 »

Does anyone have an idea of the value of a set Water Weasels. I saw, on ebay, a C/D and the last time I looked, the bid was $450 US. Is that so? I have a C/D/Eflat set, with the black lettering and all. I am not looking to sell them as they are somewhere in N. America on loan. Purchased approx. 15 years ago. Just curious!
Mr.Nate
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Water Weasels.

Post by Mr.Nate »

Individual whistles sell for around 120-140. I don't think your going to get 450$ for your set!
If they sold for that much on ebay then I think it was a flook!

Cheers!

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

When you say "black lettering," do you mean the PVC plumbing codes directly on the bodies or the labels that Glenn affixed? My D/C/Eflat set has the labels but not the revered (by some) plumbing serial letters. Cool set - ivory colored tubing with red delrin fipples. Actually, I much prefer the playability and tone of my Bflat/A set with grey piping bodies. For me, priceless, because they are really fine whistles and were made by Glenn. So, I also wouldn't sell my Thin Weasel cocobolo D.

In terms of "value" on the secondary market - whatever the market brings; obviously original prices were much lower - the D/C/Eflat set probably went for about $50 and the Bflat/A set for about $75.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Thanks Mr. Nate. I certainly don't plan on selling them. I'm just curious. BTW, I've been to and played in Colorado Springs quite a few times. (our agent is based there.) My favortie place is that cool bar with the ice counter tops. Love the giant Mageritas! I did play the odd session there once or twice. I remember the free pizza. Maybe saw there. We once invited to a cool house party session. Very lovely group up there. I was, however, quite embarrassed when the flute player asked me to play "The Maids of Mt. Cisco" and had to admit not knowing. Certainly learned since though. We were Fiddle, whistles and harp.

All the best!
Mr.Nate wrote:Individual whistles sell for around 120-140. I don't think your going to get 450$ for your set!
If they sold for that much on ebay then I think it was a flook!

Cheers!

Nate
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

PhilO wrote:When you say "black lettering," do you mean the PVC plumbing codes directly on the bodies or the labels that Glenn affixed? Hi PhiLO, I mean the PVC plumbing codes directly on the body. I resd somewhere that these are the more desirable. I do like the playing of them. I find them a tad loud but they are well tuned and a beautiful, unigue sound to them. They are also excellent for recording! My D/C/Eflat set has the labels but not the revered (by some) plumbing serial letters. Cool set - ivory colored tubing with red delrin fipples. Actually, I much prefer the playability and tone of my Bflat/A set with grey piping bodies. For me, priceless, because they are really fine whistles and were made by Glenn. So, I also wouldn't sell my Thin Weasel cocobolo D.

In terms of "value" on the secondary market - whatever the market brings; obviously original prices were much lower - the D/C/Eflat set probably went for about $50 and the Bflat/A set for about $75.

Philo
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Whoops messed up experimenting with the quotes again. My reply was, Yes, the bodies have the black PVC plumbing code. There was never an affixed label though . I read somewhere that they are the most desirable. Not for playing though, obviously. The whistles play quite well although I find them a little loud. The tuning is perfect. They have a unique sound and they are excellent for recording!

Slan!
chas

Post by chas »

Phil's prices are probably based on when he got his Weasels, which was before most of us. I got my C/D/Eflat set in the late 90's for $135. I think the Bflat/A set was about the same price at the time. I agree with Mr Nate that $450 seems a bit high -- it was probably lucky timing on the part of the seller, but it may become a typical price given some time.

Whatever the prices, Weasels are remarkable whistles.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

chas wrote:Phil's prices are probably based on when he got his Weasels, which was before most of us. I got my C/D/Eflat set in the late 90's for $135. I think the Bflat/A set was about the same price at the time. I agree with Mr Nate that $450 seems a bit high -- it was probably lucky timing on the part of the seller, but it may become a typical price given some time.

Whatever the prices, Weasels are remarkable whistles.
Yeah, I'm an old dude...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

Did they actually sell for $450, or was that just the asking bid?
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Seonachan wrote:Did they actually sell for $450, or was that just the asking bid?
They have been offered at high prices for sure. I don't know if a Water Weasel actually sold for that amount but I wouldn't be surprised if one did as time goes on. The value of the whistle is up to the wallet of the buyer. Thin Weasels, the wooden models, were selling at what I thought were outrageous prices a couple years ago. I know of one high D that went for $700. I paid $250 for the last one (blackwood) that I bought. I think I paid about $120 (mid '90's) for an Eb/D/C set of Water Weasels and $77 (late '90's) for the last high D Water Weasel I bought from Glenn.

I have a price list from near the end of Weasel production. I think Glenn's prices came back down a little bit after this list though. Here's what I have:

Wooden Whistles – Thin Weasels
G down to D $348
C down to A $384
A flat down to G $420
Low F $456

CPVC Whistles – the Water Weasel
Tunable Whistle E down to C $84
Tunable Whistle Set E flat, D & C $174
Tunable Whistle B flat or A $90
Tunable Set B Flat and A $138
Tuneable Whistle G to E $98

They are good whistles. I won't sell the Weasels I still have. I am inspired every time I play one.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.