Oz whistle in Masur bjørk ( curly birch )

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Oz whistle in Masur bjørk ( curly birch )

Post by Mitch »

Loren wrote:P.S. Nice looking whistles Mitch! Interesting choice going with the Nitro.......

The bands are cast, or perhaps laser engraved?

How are you stamping the serial numbers? It looks as if you could use an indexing head, to keep everything lined up and spaced out evenly.

Loren
Hi Loren,

I used nitro because it penetrates so well, dries fast, produces a good hard surface and does not alter the color of the wood. In the case of the Masur bjork, I was surprised just how much it took - the danger was that it would become a "plastic" whistle with some wood imbedded in it. But as it turned out, the wood imposed itself (which was part of the objective). I know the materials should not matter to the sound, but I find that each wood has an influence. It could be as banal as the way each responds to the tools, but the exploration is something I never tire of. It would be a shame to totally dominate .. be like losing a friend.

The bands are cast. To start, I did the casting myself, but now I get them done by a casting company off the original molds (less ouch-per-whistle ;) ). As you can imagine, lost wax casting can be a little imprecise so there's a lot of stretching, squeezing and machining to get the tollerances right.

I am investigating alternate methods. But for now the result satisfies what I set out to do. I will go looking for an indexing head - many thanks for the suggestion! For now the serial numbers have a kind of crazy charm, but it can be better.

I know what you mean about unsuitable woods - The very first tunable whistle I made used an Asian ebony - very beautiful wood: a pleasure to cut and work .. BUT it would crack and warp if one looked sideways at it let alone breathing on it ... and if sunshine touched it, the damn thing would start moving in wierd and entertaining ways. Shame really - when it was not cracked and moving, it sounded nice.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
chrisp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by chrisp »

Hi Mitch,

It would be interesting to know how the other masur bjørk whistles turned out? :)
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

chrisp wrote:Hi Mitch,

It would be interesting to know how the other masur bjørk whistles turned out? :)
Hi Chris,

I am pedalling hard to get a c, D and Eb finished for Easter - I'll let you know!
All the best!

mitch
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Mitch wrote:

Hi Chris,

I am pedalling hard to get a c, D and Eb finished for Easter - I'll let you know!
This C whistle just gets better and better, i love this baby. I don't know what you did to this one, but it's a real one off, can't wait to hear about the others :love:
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Mitch wrote:I know what you mean about unsuitable woods - The very first tunable whistle I made used an Asian ebony - very beautiful wood: a pleasure to cut and work .. BUT it would crack and warp if one looked sideways at it let alone breathing on it ... and if sunshine touched it, the damn thing would start moving in wierd and entertaining ways. Shame really - when it was not cracked and moving, it sounded nice.
I do have a Busman C in Asian Striped Ebony as well as one made from a different Ebony species from Asia. Luckily they're both still alive and kicking.

Mitch, from my last conversation with Ben Stewart, he mentioned that he may have my whistles completed for the Easter festival. That means you may get to see them first before they make their arduous journey stateside. :)
dagoose
Tell us something.: I have been a member for years. I haven't been very active but would like to sell a few whistles to help pay for medical costs. Over the years I have purchased several high end whistles that I rarely play now. My hands are contracted with arthritis and I can no longer play my low whistles. I also have some high D's that I don't play enough to warrant keeping in my condition.

Post by dagoose »

Those are so uniquely beautiful.
-------
dagoose
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Steamwalker wrote:
Mitch wrote:I know what you mean about unsuitable woods - The very first tunable whistle I made used an Asian ebony - very beautiful wood: a pleasure to cut and work .. BUT it would crack and warp if one looked sideways at it let alone breathing on it ... and if sunshine touched it, the damn thing would start moving in wierd and entertaining ways. Shame really - when it was not cracked and moving, it sounded nice.
I do have a Busman C in Asian Striped Ebony as well as one made from a different Ebony species from Asia. Luckily they're both still alive and kicking.

Mitch, from my last conversation with Ben Stewart, he mentioned that he may have my whistles completed for the Easter festival. That means you may get to see them first before they make their arduous journey stateside. :)
The wood was Cambodian ebony. It is an horrendously endangered species. I only got the stock because it had been sitting under someone's house for 30 years. As it turns-out, whistle makers will not be responsible for its extinction - totally unsuitable .. still .. if a wood presents iteslf with the advantages of that wood without the downside ... the thing with that stuff is that the blacknesss of the wood is because of a deep green - most black woods resolve to red - the sawdust is green, it stains everything that touches it green. I assume it is chloraphyl - would explain the bizar peristaltic behavior when sunlight touches it. of all the woods called "ebony" Macassar ebony sems to stand up OK. .. just OK, not good.

I look forward to seeing Ben at the festival - last time I met him he had very little time - this time I will get to see more than one of his whistles in one place (I've seen only a couple close-up - all of them brilliant). I'll ask him about your whistles.
All the best!

mitch
tyiam

Post by tyiam »

Hi Chris... Not sure if you got this reply...

I agree that Mitch makes one hell of a whistle. I really appreciate his willingness to share and his depth of knowledge in flute making... he is an inspiration.

Looking at his "cast bands" and beautiful metal work has inspired me to explore my own whistle design. I personally like a clean simple design... the core of what it is... a whistle/ flute. That relationship where the silver accents the beautiful warm exotic wood grain. But after seeing his beautiful whistle/ flute I can see that there is an opportunity for me express myself more and still keep it simple.

Your whistle is a beautiful work of art in wood and metal. His workmanship is fantastic and it sounds like you will have a life time of fun with that whistle.

-Ty
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

tyiam wrote:Hi Chris... Not sure if you got this reply...

I agree that Mitch makes one hell of a whistle. I really appreciate his willingness to share and his depth of knowledge in flute making... he is an inspiration.

Looking at his "cast bands" and beautiful metal work has inspired me to explore my own whistle design. I personally like a clean simple design... the core of what it is... a whistle/ flute. That relationship where the silver accents the beautiful warm exotic wood grain. But after seeing his beautiful whistle/ flute I can see that there is an opportunity for me express myself more and still keep it simple.

Your whistle is a beautiful work of art in wood and metal. His workmanship is fantastic and it sounds like you will have a life time of fun with that whistle.

-Ty
Heya Ty! Swee-eet lookin whustles there my fren!

My agientio just mutterd some waffle that sounded suspiciously liek "thanx for the crypto dude!"

Lurve the Cooktown iron wood .. these li'l babies are way agressive! I kinda like that!

What? eh? .. arrr - someting about maturity .. what the hell would I know about that!

Agient sez some obscure thing about watching people grow. He gets some kinda buz from that.

Por mois? it's all bout what happens in teh limo cruisin New York .. or london if I'm there ;) .. get the sunroof open (speciallly in the Hummmmer) and entertain teh folks!

Paris would be nice with a Ty whustule and mois hanging out the sunroof with a chrystal flute fulla bolly and a trace of bolivia!!! ;) bit of hort quizine' huh? Tunable would get the glances for sure!!! I'd need some extra goons in the trail-car!!
All the best!

mitch
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Hi Mitch,

How did the last batch of masur bjørk go? And what about the laburnum (which doesn't go in the mouth) Did you manage to isolate that problem?

Have you got started with low whistles yet, last time i wrote, you were setting up your new workshop. It would be nice to hear the latest news and how your getting on.

That masur bjørk C is just one incredible whistle, it's got heaps of volume, sweet tone, I can get things out of that whistle like no other i've played, it seems to know what i want out of it, if that makes sense.

Regards

Chris
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

To each his own regarding taste, but a quick word in reply to a comment on the etched rings that someone found "busy." I'm wondering if the enlarged pics just made them look that way or perhaps you didn't like the combination with the wood which has some beautiful busy graining. I have a delrin with sterling OZ rings that looks great and the rings are like, well, lovely well placed ornamentation. Oh well, as said, the really important thing is that my OZ plays like a dream...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

How did the last batch of masur bjørk go? And what about the laburnum (which doesn't go in the mouth) Did you manage to isolate that problem?

Have you got started with low whistles yet, last time i wrote, you were setting up your new workshop. It would be nice to hear the latest news and how your getting on.

That masur bjørk C is just one incredible whistle, it's got heaps of volume, sweet tone, I can get things out of that whistle like no other i've played, it seems to know what i want out of it, if that makes sense.

Regards

Chris
<sigh> well, Since I took over my ageint's computer .. seem's he's getting free secreterial .. I'll be talking to him about my hourly rate! It's all be on the bill at teh next photo shoot!

So yah - Met a Laburnam number on her way out of the workshop .. off to a little party .. got some glances with that gidgee augmentation in the beak and nice clear voice. The "woody" guys at the party were expecting something a bit more "purple" and mutterd stuff like "is this sapwood?" .. someone quiped something about "Ikea whistle!" the gall! You don't happen to have her botanical pedigree?

I believe there's a C, D and Eb waiting for their silver dresses. It's in my calendar to be on the set for a shoot in a month or 2.

Ooops - my agient just heard the word "rings" and went foetal in the corner. Seems the new casts have given him some drama of late ;) .. not sure why - for all the fussing and too-ing and fro-ing they look exactly the same to me. I'm sure he'll come to in an hour or so ..

And with the Curly birchy girls - ahhh -Roccoco!! Nuf Sed!
All the best!

mitch
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Mitch,

Ha Ha.... Wouldn't mind one of those beauties in Eb, girls always wait for rings. Look forward to those photo shoots!!

Chris
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Fantastic looking whistle Chris!
Nice work Mitch! :thumbsup:

I did the same thing a few years ago, sent some masur to an excellent pipe maker and after about a year I he sent me this in return :love:

http://billhaneman.ie/images/gallery/Eb ... llsize.jpg

Hmm, maybe I should order one from Mitch to get a matching pair :D

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

MarcusR wrote:Fantastic looking whistle Chris!
Nice work Mitch! :thumbsup:

I did the same thing a few years ago, sent some masur to an excellent pipe maker and after about a year I he sent me this in return :love:

http://billhaneman.ie/images/gallery/Eb ... llsize.jpg

Hmm, maybe I should order one from Mitch to get a matching pair :D

/MarcusR
WOW!!

Absolutely beautiful Marcus, you'll have to have a chat with Mitch I think.