The most UN-intelligent places one has whistled..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sjcavy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

The most UN-intelligent places one has whistled..

Post by sjcavy »

Ok, admit it. There have been some places that you have pulled out a whistle and began playing that were just not smart.

To begin....

-I have played in the car. While driving. In both Milwaukee and Chicago.

- I have also played at my girlfriend's house when she had a headache.(I am still kicking myself for that one. I swear I thought my blackbird was quiet enough that she wouldn't hear it if I was downstairs.)

-I played in a Marquette dorm hall at 2:30 A.M. (my friend is the R.A, and told me to get revenge on his residents because of their shenanigans.) I almost lost a whistle, and a finger, on that one.

You guys (and gals) got any fun stories?
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
jim stone

Re: The most UN-intelligent places one has whistled..

Post by jim stone »

I sometimes drive my wife to her university and then I go into the library to study.
Once, going up the stair well between floors, I realized the acoustics must be fabulous.
I took out my trusty sweetone and commenced playing.
When the police came I prepared to plead my usual dodge, temporary insanity,
The nastier looking of the two officers looked at
me carefully and said:

Hey, that sounds great! Where can I buy one of those?
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

I don't know about 'un-intelligent' places, what is an un-intelligent place anyway? :lol:
I take it you mean places where, in hindsight, it was not a good move to start playing?
I had the opposite experience, although it didn't start out that way.
I was in The Kitchen Bar in Belfast, 'Norn Iron' one summer having a few Guinnesses while waiting for a gap between rain showers. You know it's summer in Belfast when you get gaps between the showers! :D
I had just bought a whistle for a friend of mine in Australia and had it in a bag sitting on the bar top. I needed a toilet break so I asked a man who was standing beside me at the bar to watch the bag for me while I was away. When I came back he asked what I had rolled up in the bag and I told him it was a whistle. He asked if I could play it, yes I could, could I play something for him, yes I could. "What would you like me to play?" I asked, 'Anything but that diddley-diddley music" he said. I nearly choked! The thing was, the Kitchen bar was known for it's great sessions and the craic, and here was a man asking me to play anything but diddley-diddley music. I came to a compromise, he liked Country music, I knew how to play The Tennessee Waltz, so I did. I got the first couple of bars off and then the whole (packed to the rafters) bar went deadly silent as I played. I wasn't getting any signs that it was being well recieved, no nods of approvement, no smiles, nothing but silence. I carried on regardless and when I stopped the whole bar whooped and clapped as one. I said out loud "Thank God for that, I thought you were all going to lynch me!"
That started off a singing session, and we all had a great afternoon. I heard one of the regulars comment to the bar staff "Started off a bit early today Pat", 'Yep' he replied 'And the way their all knocking the drink back, it's going to be a long night, but fair game to them, you wouldn't want them walking home now in that rain would ye?"
I don't remember leaving, or how I got home :pint: :D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

After I ratted out the mob and started in witness protection, I made the mistake of pulling out the whistle in the parking lot of an Olive Garden while waiting for my personal pager to light up. Nick the Slick, who was serving 15 - 20 on account of me, had a nephew named Vinny, who happened to be a newly hired busboy after being told to lay low for a year or two. Vinny had heard my rendition of Frieze Britches so many times while were waiting for shipments that the before I even got to the B part he had phoned one of Nick's lieutenants. Fortunately I caught sight of him as he was reaching under his car seat for his piece and I skedaddled. Now I live in Montana (oops, now I have to move again) where I will learn another favorite tune.
sjcavy
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

HAHA very funny :lol:

and ceili whistle man, that's some amazing luck you had. I once played in a bar on camps and the owner told me that I should take that dog whistle to the park and give the retrievers some practice. Can you guess the whistle I brought to the bar?

If you guessed a burke low d viper than you would be correct.

I'm still trying to figure that one out.... Dog whistle=low d....
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Pretty much anywhere I play is UN-intelligent, not because of the place but because of my playing. :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My practice spot in the park isn't the smartest place, in February.
But practicing at home... that would not be intelligent at all.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

In the bath. It just doesn't work with wet fingers, but it got the whistle nice and clean.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

In the car while standing in front of a red stoplight. I didn't notice that it turned green until somebody left his car and was kind enough to remind me where I was.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Do Not, I repeat, Do Not, play whistle and drive. That's just stupid and dangerous. To other people too. Do I need to say more?

I only play in highly intelligent, Mensa, genius-savant kind of places. I played in a house with a baby sleeping. I got stopped real quick.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
caitlin ruadh

Post by caitlin ruadh »

This doesn't really count as a place, but as an experience: In front of Joannie Madden. I was taking her intermediate whistle class one summer at the Boston Gaelic Roots festival. Sitting right down front in the classroom. We were doing "The Otter's Holt" and suddenly I could not remember a single note. Joannie looked at me like, "What is this idiot doing in my class?" I just shrugged, because it was all I could do.

I still cringe whenever I think of that...

Caitlin
spittle8

Post by spittle8 »

Wow, y'all make the whistle sound like such a magical instrument, the playing of which will cause exciting adventures to surely follow. I can't wait until I'm proficient enough to say, "Pshyeah, I play tin whistle, what NOW?" Unfortunately EVERYONE plays guitar, so mentioning that doesn't get much of a response usually beyond furled brows and a look of general disappointment.
sjcavy

Post by sjcavy »

Actually....I'm pretty sure just trying to play the tin whistle is a magical adventure in itself.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

spittle8 wrote:Wow, y'all make the whistle sound like such a magical instrument, the playing of which will cause exciting adventures to surely follow. I can't wait until I'm proficient enough to say, "Pshyeah, I play tin whistle, what NOW?" Unfortunately EVERYONE plays guitar, so mentioning that doesn't get much of a response usually beyond furled brows and a look of general disappointment.
Oooo, a mountain dulcimer gets a worse response, at least in the UK. But I'm taking mine along to the Folk Club anyway, partly to see what their reaction will be (they're very polite, but some things are hard to hide) and partly to play "Slan chun Carraig an Eide". Which sounds pretty good, if I do say so myself.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!