Question - Slow Airs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mason

Question - Slow Airs

Post by Mason »

I've been trying to figure out for a couple of days what "slow air" means. Can anyone give some help?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Question - Slow Airs

Post by Nanohedron »

Mason wrote:I've been trying to figure out for a couple of days what "slow air" means. Can anyone give some help?
In the Irish tradition, anyway, an air (also: aire, slow air(e), fonn, fonn mhall) is normally the melody of a song, only just played on an instrument instead of sung with the words. If traditional playing is what you're after, I'm of the firm opinion - if you want it - that it's essential to be familiar with the song in question so as to play its air properly; that is, an air's playing should refer to the cadence of its being sung.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Nanohedron wrote:(also: aire, slow air(e)
It is never "aire" unless it's careless misspelling or, more likely, coming from someone clueless. There is no such word as "aire".

An "air" is as Nano described the melody to a song.

A "slow air" is the melody to a Sean Nós irish song. Or in other words it's a particular style of air that adheres to that style (and/or tradition) of singing.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Here's my take on an attempt at an answer based on what I have come to understand over the years. I don't vouch for it being "correct" and I'm sure a debate will ensue. Nano and NicoMoreno posted while I was writing this, so pardon any redundancy.......

A slow air is a tune that is not a dance tune and which is played quite slowly and often with significant metrical liberty and possibly with virtuosic ornamentation and variation. Most older slow airs are in origin song tunes - the words to which may or may not be extant and in use in the song tradition. Any slowish song tune may be taken and interpreted instrumentally as a slow air. This is true in the Irish tradition in particular, but similar statements can be made for other traditions. In more recent times there have been quite a lot of specifically composed slow airs. In Scotland that may be a longer standing phenomenon (laments, root airs for pibroch, etc.), but I'm not well versed in the Scottish tradition. Medium paced non-dance tunes like O'Carolan's compositions are not slow airs. Confusion can arise in reading older sources in that the word "air" used to be more synonymous with "tune" than it is in modern usage - so don't assume that any tune you see labelled "air" is to be interpreted as a "slow air" played with great freedom and approximating to the "haunting" solo low whistle with big reverb and synth chordal drones with accompanying sea crashing on rocks film or whatever cliche....... That said, it is possible to take (and people have taken) just about any kind of tune and turned it into a slow air just as they transform jigs into reels and so forth. The Blackbird is an example of a traditional tune that exists as a slow air, a hornpipe, a set dance and so on.

Oh, and a plea to those who do so, don't stick an extraneous "e" on the end of "air" - even if you are doing an olde worlde touristy exploitationy shoppe/faire Celtic twilight.......... (yuck, vomit....I'll stop now!)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: In the Irish tradition, anyway, an air (also: aire, slow air(e), fonn, fonn mhall) is normally the melody of a song, only just played on an instrument instead of sung with the words.
Not every song, however. It's an instrumental version of a song sung in sean nos style.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

That orthodox definiton with regard to Sean Nos is a little too narrow, IMO, to reflect the modern situation, though I daresay it accounts for the majority of the traditional repertory of old slow airs. What about tunes that are indubitably played in an instrumental slow air style that have never been songs, like Tommy Peoples' An Feochan for example? I don't see what else you can usefully call them and that is de facto how they are invariably described.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

A well-split hair. I suppose we could amend the definition to add '...or instrumental melodies played in a style evocative of sean nos singing'.

~~

The scots piping repertoire also has it's own version of slow air, which is somewhat different but not specacularly so.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Just a note to all that I didn't endorse the "E" in "aire". It's just that you're gonna see it spelled that way from time to time, and I seem to recall the occasional person wondering if there was a difference in THAT. There is. Archaick spellynge.

There are also airs for which the words have been lost either in full or only fragments survive, or that may never had words to begin with. The Lament for/The Death of Staker Wallace is one such where the words to the ballad have been mostly lost.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Fair enough Nano, I didn't mean to imply you were clueless. I figured you had put it in because it is used occasionally.

However, it is not archaic spelling. Air has never been spelled with an "e" on the end. It is wrong to spell it thus. So while indeed it may be seen spelled thus, it nevertheless means nothing, since it is not a real word.

I agree about the instrumental thing, by the way. It's why I added that additional line. Does the Coolin have words?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Just to say I'd already written my rant about "aire" with an "e" before reading Nano's and Nico's posts as I was cross-posting - and I then edited in a preliminary bit......

Bit by bit folk are gradually repeating or supporting everything I wrote in my first post :boggle: ! (Airs with lost words, airs that never had words, pseudo archaic spelling, Scottish parallels......)
Last edited by jemtheflute on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

NicoMoreno wrote:Does the Coolin have words?
Yes, indeed. We have:

- An Chúilfhionn (As Gaeilge)
"An bhfaca tú an chúilfhionn 's í ag siúl ar na bóithre
Maidin gheal drúchta 's gan smúit ar a bróga?

Is iomaí ógánach súilghlass ag tnúth lena pósadh

Ach ní bhfaigheann siad mo rúnsa

.....ar an gcuntas is dóigh leo.

An bhfaca tú mo spéirbhean lá breá is í ina haonar

A cúl dualach drisleanach go slinneán síos léi?

Mil ar an ógbhean is rós breá ina héadan

'S is dóigh le gach spreasán gur leannán leis féin í.

An bhfaca tú mo bhábán 's í taobh leis an toinn

Fáinní óir ar a méara sí ag réiteach a cinn?

'Sé dúirt an Paorach a bhí ina mhaor ar an loing

Go mb'fhearr leis aige féin í ná Éire gan roinn."

And:

- The Coolin (In English)
"Have you seen my fair-haired girl walking the roads
A bright dewy morning without a smudge on her shoes?

There is many a young man envious and longing to marry her

But they won't get my treasure

.....no matter what they think.

Have you seen my beautiful woman, a fine day and she is alone

Her hair curling and twining, hanging down about her shoulders?

Sweet young woman with the rosy blush on her brow

And every worthless man hopes she will be his lover.

Have you seen my maid beside the sea

Gold rings on her fingers she is making up her mind?

Mr. Power, who is the master of a ship, said

He would prefer to have her than the whole of Ireland."
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

i am NOT trying to start an argument... but since folks are doing the hair-splitting thing....

"aire" is a word. it is a proper noun. specifically, it is the name of a river of approximately 70 miles length in northern england. it winds its way through a valley named Airedale.

but, in keeping within the original topic.... it is NOT a musical word. (not even sure it was an archaically spelled music related word.) (is "archaically" a word?)

just a little trivial clarification.

again, NOT trying to start a fight.

be well

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

NicoMoreno wrote:However, it is not archaic spelling. Air has never been spelled with an "e" on the end. It is wrong to spell it thus. So while indeed it may be seen spelled thus, it nevertheless means nothing, since it is not a real word.
No, that's wrong. The spellings aire and ayre are well-documented. Just to give citations from the Oxford English Dictionary:

1590: Your tongue's sweet ayre, More tuneable than Larke to Shepherd's ear.
1596: If ... any ayre of music touch their ears.
1597: These and all other kinds of light musick ... are by a general name called Ayres.
1604: With these instruments they made many kinds of Aires and Songs.
1656: Whilst Angels sing to thee their ayres divine.

It's an archaic, Elizabethan spelling ... exactly as Nano said.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

cool stuff. thank you, MTGuru.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

How can you hang it in the petrified music museum if you can't engrave a proper sign for it? And God forbid a note should change! Sheesh, I hate these academic nitpickings.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde