Old new blood to the whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bubbles

Old new blood to the whistle

Post by Bubbles »

Through over the last five decades, I have been playing woodwind instruments that have required me to place my top front teeth on the top of the mouth piece.
I would like to ask any one, "Is this an appropriate proceedure on the low D whistle with an aluminum tip? And if so, should I invest in a composite tipped whistle to save what teeth I have left?"
Any and all opinions, "on the proper way to grasp the mouth piece," will be appreciated.
I want to assure everyone that all answers will be kept in the strickest of confidence.
I don't usually bring up, in polite conversation, the state of my aging dental work. BUBBLES.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Old new blood to the whistle

Post by MTGuru »

Bubbles wrote:Is this an appropriate proceedure on the low D whistle
No. Or on any whistle. Your teeth should not touch the mouthpiece. It's not a saxophone. :-) The tip of the mouthpiece should rest gently against your lips, and extend maybe a few millimeters in. Your teeth, whatever's left of them, will thank you.

Some recent discussion about whistle embouchure here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62029
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

Thank you, from the bottom of my whistling roots. BUBBLES.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

That was something that took me a while to get use to-as another old woodwind player. It seemed so strange to not put my teeth on that mouthpiece. And yes, your dental work will love you for it.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

Thank you. Some things are so simple sometimes. Of course now, I will have to invest in a good chap stick until I get this lip thing down. Its cheaper than caps anyway and comes in delightful new flavors. Bubbles.
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Would this product work for you?

http://careysmokeshop.stores.yahoo.net/pipebits.html

They are intended for pipe smokers to control chewing, but I like to use them on my metal whistles. :thumbsup:
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

What a wonderful idea. I have stored the websight in my favorites in the case it is impossible for me to ween myself from sax to whistle. They probably don't come in different flavors but that is secoundary to my primary motive. Thank you very much for the tip on chewable tips. BUBBLES