I'm back and beginning again (was Midi file recommendations)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

KatieBell wrote:4. Walrii, you said, "Real music, instant gratification, what could be better?" and I respond: free! :D LOL! I don't purchase music online because times are tough for all of us. But I want to learn, so I'm doing what I can with free tutorials, the awesome advice of those here, and practice.
That's what youtube is for. You can find a bunch of tunes and listen to them
being played by humans rather than created by a MIDI converter. I think
that's the idea behind MTGuru's "real music" suggestion... listening to actual
musicians playing. Of course, free is not always ideal, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69vw-QTyHpQ
KatieBell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KatieBell »

fearfaoin wrote:Of course, free is not always ideal, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69vw-QTyHpQ
That's who I got the midi from!
http://www.belfaganmorris.free-online.c ... /monas.mid

The recording I have is on the harp, and it is the one for sale here: http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue ... pid=483424
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Ok. Here I am: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud4aFLGFCG4

Comments or constructive criticisms?
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Had a look at your YouTube, Katie (or is it Cordelia?). Going well, I'd say - you pretty much know what the faults are without us needing to tell you and you are doing most things right and making a decent sound. The fluency and confidence will come. Keep at it!

Are you actually playing leftie (R hand on top) or is the image inverted? Not a major issue, I'm just curious. BTW, try not to curl that little finger up tightly like that - it will reduce the freedom of movement of that hand like that - try to let it hang out in a more relaxed way.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

I am playing left. Someone (maybe you?) tried to get me to change it early on and I tried, but my brain doesn't seem to be wired the other way.

Katie
(Cordelia is just a fancy name for an ID that wasn't already taken on YouTube).
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jemtheflute wrote:(or is it Cordelia?)
The Cordelia reference would catch your eye, wouldn't it, you Gallophile (Cambrophile?). :-)

I'd say Katie's progress has Goneril well, I Regan. Kudos to Kate for allowing us to Lear at her video.

Katie: Either hand on top is fine, whatever makes sense to you. However, your top hand seems too stiff, and sort of stretched out. Try pushing your top thumb in more, so that the barrel of the whistle rests on the ball of your thumb, not the tip. Then allow your top fingers to curve slightly to compensate (similar to the way your bottom hand curves). This should feel more relaxed and natural. Your movement from the first knuckle joints of your hands is excellent - keep it up. And I agree with Jem about relaxing your pinkie (yes, Jem, it's a pinkie :P).
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Katie, take that fawning frog with a suitably sized pinch of salt! And shake a spear at him. He's right on the whistling front, though, of course. (Except about what to call your little finger! :P ) Making systematic salty sorority puns occurred to me too, but for once I refrained (for fear of going mad/senile......).

How's this for a crossword clue "senile royal jet" (4)?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MaryC
Tell us something.: Playing the whistle is so much easier than playing the accordion: I've never yet found an accordion which would fit into my handbag!

Re:

Post by MaryC »

With YouTube, you sometimes get exactly what you paid for it. Someone on here mentioned the following a while back - I've found it very useful for finding higher-than-average-quality MP3's of tunes.

A custom Google search engine for finding tutorial tunes online, e.g., when you want to learn "Geese in the Bog" and you need an MP3 of someone playing the tune to listen to and learn from. You can find the search engine at:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00045 ... r71mpimhd0

KatieBell wrote:OK. :)
I can "translate" the scored music by saying "Every Good Boy Does Fine" on each note and making it a letter, but I don't yet know which letter corresponds with which holes, so I then make the letter into numbers by consulting an illustrated chart. I figured by ear and with illustrations I'd be doing better.
I second what someone below said. You need to get to the stage of going straight from stave to response. You do need to know the note names to do the first notes. But after that reading music is about the gaps between notes, rather than the names. So thing about the starting note then the number up or down.

eg instead of
"A, thats t1 and t2, B, that's just t1, F, that's t1-2 and b1"

think:
"A that's t1 and t2, 1 up, 3 down" etc.

Also, you don't need to install ABC software. The translator at http://www.folkinfo.org/songs/abcconvert.php works very nicely, transposes if you need it, and generates MIDIs if you really must use 'em. By all means install something if being on-line is a problem, but you may not want to clutter up your machine.
KatieBell

Re: I'm back and beginning again (was Midi file recommendations)

Post by KatieBell »

I didn't get a notice until just now for the replies. I'm working on bending the upper hand. I'll get to notes, downloads, links, etc this weekend and maybe be able to put up a new video.

THANKS!