Newly arrived Dixon - problem - advice?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Well, The Whistle Shop is definitely speedy, I'll give them that. My Dixon tunable just arrived, but the high D seems a little off to me It seems like the D in the 2nd octave is tilted more toward an Eb. Maybe I'm just used to my Susato, but I play by ear and it simply doesn't sound right. And that's a major factor for a whistle.. I used Tune it to confirm the frequencies after tuning it - made the A dead on to 880, and everything else checked out except the second octave D and a little bit on its neighboring C.

I'm keeping the Whistle Shop's return policy handy, I may end up exchanging it for another Dixon. Or maybe something else, if this is normal. Is there normally a disparity between whistles for just one or two notes? If anyone is willing to help me troubleshoot, I can make .wavs of a simple scale in susato and in dixon as a comparison, and I can get numerical frequency values with Tune-It.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2001-08-23 00:55 ]</font>
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

A few months ago I bought a nontunable Dixon low D from the Whistle Shop. Turns out it was seriously out of tune, both "with itself", and out of tune when checking against a tuner.

On Rich's advice I wrote Tony Dixon, telling him about the problem. He was more than kind in his reply, seeming almost embarrased to have let such an instrument out his door. <i>And</i> he offered to send me a tunable replacement free of charge. This replacement turned out to be much better in tune with itself, and is a really nice instrument. So I'm happy with his customer service. :smile:

That being said, you might want to try the whistle out for a while, to determine if it's <i>really</i> out of tune, or if it's merely a case of getting to know its particularities. If you are convinced the whistle is at fault, my advice would be to contact Tony or the whistle shop.

Cheers,
Jens
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

I dont own a Dixon although I do have a Susato and I,ve read that the air requirement for the Dixon may be slightly more.Its pretty normal for 2nd octave notes to sound flat if you,re not pushing hard enough and maybe you just need a few days to adjust.I would also learn to trust your ears more than any sort of tuner as perfect tuning may sound wrong to many traditional musicians. :smile: Mike
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

My Dixons are a little off on B C C# and D', but I can usually compensate by adjusting my blowing.

It's still more in tune than most of my lower-priced whistles - with the possible exception of my Susato.

If it's really off, I would suggest you contact Thom and make plans for an exchange.

Good Luck,
Frank
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

It's off enough to my ear that I don't want to play it! =( I emailed Thom last night, hopefully something will work out.

Who generally pays for shipping in a return? I've never returned a mail/net order item before.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Well, this worked out well. Similar to your experience, Jens, Tony Dixon is sending me a new one, and I'm returning the original to The Whistle Shop. I'm impressed at the speed involved all around concerning replies, and quite satisfied with the customer service of both parties! :smile:
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Well see, here's the flip side of what's been discussed in some other recent threads.

I've also received excellent service from both Tony and Tom in the the past. Come to think of it, I don't recall ever hearing anything negative about either one's customer service, it's all been positive.

Way to go guys!

Loren
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

WEll, I got one of the good ones! I tried out a couple of the tunable high D's at Thoms'..... picked one I thought sounded a tad better but really little difference. I've played it along with other instruments and with little adjustment. Haven't noticed any additional air requirements and easy transition from one octave to the next. So thanks Tony and Thom...you done good! Gm
stimps

Post by stimps »

Yeah, I've ordered a ton of books & stuff from the Whistle Shop too, and haven't had anything but great service. The prices are good too, even considering the exchange rate. Good job. :grin:

stimps