How do you pronouce....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

"Feadog" properly?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2001-08-22 16:31 ]</font>
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Oh Anna see my post on the Song and Tune. I'm chuckling with anticipation.
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
paulsdad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by paulsdad »

Per StevePower
Posted: 2001-08-07 16:02
"I'd be more inclined to say: feh-doe(g)
(only a whisper on the 'g')"

That sounds like the pronunciation used by my whistle teacher, who was born in Ireland.
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

On 2001-08-22 16:36, MarkB wrote:
Whoo-hoo, Mark! Tell me where it is and I'll go see it! LOL!
AnnaDMartinez

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

On 2001-08-22 16:46, Anna Martinez wrote:
On 2001-08-22 16:36, MarkB wrote:
Whoo-hoo, Mark! Tell me where it is and I'll go see it! LOL! Opps, spaced, found it...never mind she said and Mark neverminded!
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

Anna,

Feadog is pronounced "Shaw Noose."

Did I get it right Mark?
Jose Ortega y Gasset
AnnaDMartinez

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Oy! I'm now so-o-o confused, that I can't find my rear end with both hands!
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

*Brian politely refrains from mentioning Anna's gas incident and how it may be related to "finding one's bum with their hands"*

:wink:

I'll also refrain from mentioning Teri K's idea to play a whistle out of one's bum about a year ago! She had it all worked out WAY too well!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Lee on 2001-08-22 16:57 ]</font>
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

For a real taste of Anna in all her glory you have to check out her "performance poetry" at:

http://www.kdsj980.com/ibh_v02n05.htm

Blaine
Jose Ortega y Gasset
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Blaine I thought it was Sean's nose, but Brian set me right- but if you are hanging a Shaw, then I guess you'll use a noose-at the same time squeezing all the gas out of Shaw who might be hanging to close to a campfire at a pow-wow. And I thought pow - wow was comicspeak for a punch not a f--t.

Now, Anna wants to know how to pronounce "Feadog." Knowing that the Irish alphabet has 18 letters, and vowels and consonants have a relational relationship to each other as they are in the word and can affect the pronunication of either; being long or short in relantionship to the diphthongs and their postition in the word and relationship to either the vowel or consonant, or both depending on the gender of the word and the context in which it is being used. There a a gazillion diphthongs (not dips in thongs)in the Irish language.

Now saying all that, I haven't a clue how to pronounce the word. But since so much of the Irish culture was past on orally, there might be a folklore history of the word.

The story I heard was that there was a child who was missing his/her front baby teeth and and spoke with a lisp, was trying to whistle (lips) to attract a dogs attention. He/she tried and tried. Finally an adult approached and asked what are you doing, the child said "fe (see) a dog, ishtel on't ork. So it came to pass (not gas)that when you feadog you whistle. Not to say that Feadog whistles have a canine attribute about them.

But is lilting a tung or sune, or tune that wants to be song i.e tong or song that wants to be tune i.e. sune. Knowing that Sean is only making up nonsense words that sound like music. In that case would Sean Know before we put the noose around his neck to squeeze the gas out of him with his Feadog up his ----.
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

On 2001-08-22 16:56, Brian Lee wrote:
*Brian politely refrains from mentioning Anna's gas incident and how it may be related to "finding one's bum with their hands"*

:wink:

I'll also refrain from mentioning Teri K's idea to play a whistle out of one's bum about a year ago! She had it all worked out WAY too well!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Lee on 2001-08-22 16:57 ]</font>
Yikes! Wait a minute. This needs clarification. The conversation was about uilleanns and what they were like to play. I said it was a love/hate relationship, and they could be a real pain in the arse. I was then reminded that they are bellows-driven, and if they were a pain in the arse that maybe I should consider not using an orifice instead of my elbow :smile:
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

It's even scarier that you remember all that Teri! :wink: At any rate, all I remembered was playing something out of ones bum! and I remembered you were in the conversation! Guess no one's safe here are they?! LOL!!!

All my best to ya Teri!

:smile: