PETITION: the "Mistake" as the newest form of ornament?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

In reading recent posts about one's skill level, etc. I would like to start a petition to include the "Mistake" as an official ornament to Irish Traditional Music.

Sure Rolls, Cuts, Crans and Slides all hae their place, but I think that the "Mistake" or "Flub" is by far the easiest ornament to learn.

Even the 'rank beginners' can pick it up pretty quick. Heck, I was doing them like there was no tomorrow my very first day of whistling! I still have a certain knack for them even to this day!

Call it lick? I think not! :wink:

Just a thought...perhaps this can go down in the annals of C&F history as a turning point for whistlers everywhere!

Just trying to do my part to make the whistle world a happier place!

Bri~

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Lee on 2001-08-22 15:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Lee on 2001-08-22 15:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Lee on 2001-08-22 15:33 ]</font>
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

I second the motion, but please, call it a flub not the 'M' word!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Isn't a flub just a kind of improvisation? :smile:
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Hi Brian,
I'm very much in favor of including mistakes into our otherwise purfect werld.
Mack

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mack.Hoover on 2001-08-22 15:47 ]</font>
Blarney Pilgrim

Post by Blarney Pilgrim »

I vote in favor. There have been times when it has happend to me and someone would say, "Oh, that sounded good." But let's call it "improvisation." :wink:
<br>
-Steve

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blarney Pilgrim on 2001-08-22 15:27 ]</font>
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Checked and fixed Mack! *wink* and an improvisation denotes a deviation from the tune that's ongoing. I make mistakes, but if you listen closely, you can almost make out the base tune.

I think the "Flub" is still a good choice! LOL!!

I know I was asked not to use the "M" word to describe it, but is the "F" word much better?! :smile:

In this case, I think so!

B~
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

It seems to me that a good musician is one who know how to recover from mistakes so smoothly that most people won't even know you have made one. I think I am kind of getting to this point on my mandolin -

On the whistle, it is more a matter my occasional listener saying "hey, I think I rcognized that part..." can you play it again?
Jose Ortega y Gasset
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I've been told by one of the best to just fake my way through a flub and pretend it was deliberate, never let 'em know you made a boo-boo, no matter how glaring, just keep on playing and act like nothing happened, so maybe there's no such thing as a profound is truly gonna make a big difference in the BIG scheme of things, after all. I mean after all, one time I passed gas during a solemn moment during a pow-wow and...
gitchel

Post by gitchel »

Let's just call it a "hyper-improvisational embellishment." An HIE.

I am, perhaps, one of the most hyper-improvisational musicians currently playing - at least on the elite "in the bathroom with the door closed" circuit.

--
Jeff Gitchel
jeff@trainorphans.org
trainorphans.org

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gitchel on 2001-08-22 18:22 ]</font>
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Brian--

I'm with ya, buddy!

T
adrianh

Post by adrianh »

Brian,

As a wise man once said "Pure wisdom is born out of things going wrong".

You have absolutely made my day and I whole heartedly agree with you.

As far as I am concerned they can be flubbing mistakes.

Brilliant though, thankyou so much !!!!

A :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

><>
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

On 2001-08-22 15:53, Blaine McArthur wrote:
It seems to me that a good musician is one who know how to recover from mistakes so smoothly that most people won't even know you have made one
This brings to mind one of my all time favorite musicians, Phil Cunningham. He has well mastered the art of screwing up a tune on purpose to make folks laugh, but it also serves as an excellent cover for when it isn't intentional :smile: When it isn't intentional his recovery is always quick and relatively smooth. Take, for example, the whistle intro of "Scarce of Tatties/Lyndhurst" on the "Live Wizardry" recording by Silly Wizard. There is a bit of a musical stumble that most folk don't even realize is there (and it ain't on purpose).
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

Be careful folks; we run the risk of jumping traditions here. Remember the old rule: "Once is a mistake; twice is Jazz?"
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
cj

Post by cj »

Well, since the mistake/flub is going to be considered an ornament, I guess my playing now qualifies as heavily ornamented!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

On 2001-08-23 11:31, ndjr wrote:
Be careful folks; we run the risk of jumping traditions here. Remember the old rule: "Once is a mistake; twice is Jazz?"
So when I play the whistle I'm playing Traditional Irish Jazz.

Dave