And now for something completely different: Härjedalspipa

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
falkbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: And now for something completely different: Härjedalspip

Post by falkbeer »

MagicSailor wrote:
I stumbled across this Swedish whistle maker. (Well, technically Härjedalen is part of Norway that Sweden stole, but...)
Well, even more technically... Norway was a part of Denmark (Swedens arch-enemy in those days) back in those days (1645) when Härjedalen became a swedish province by the treaty of Brömsebo. But, to the winner belongs the spoils... :) We are all good friends in scandinavia nowadays!
The future is bright - let´s buy shades!
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/wh ... usclassics
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

falkbeer wrote:
MagicSailor wrote:
I stumbled across this Swedish whistle maker. (Well, technically Härjedalen is part of Norway that Sweden stole, but...)
Well, even more technically... Norway was a part of Denmark (Swedens arch-enemy in those days) back in those days (1645) when Härjedalen became a swedish province by the treaty of Brömsebo. But, to the winner belongs the spoils... :) We are all good friends in scandinavia nowadays!
You'd have to look very hard to find anyone in Norway who would agree that Norway was any more part of Denmark when it was occupied by Denmark than it was part of Germany when it was occupied by that nation between 1940 and '45.

But anyway, Norway's got loads of oil now, so maybe we'll just buy Härjedalen back... :D

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

MagicSailor wrote:
falkbeer wrote:
MagicSailor wrote:
You'd have to look very hard to find anyone in Norway who would agree that Norway was any more part of Denmark when it was occupied by Denmark than it was part of Germany when it was occupied by that nation between 1940 and '45.

But anyway, Norway's got loads of oil now, so maybe we'll just buy Härjedalen back... :D

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
Well, I´m no historian, but you can hardly compare union of two countries for more than 400 years to a 5 year occupation! It´s like saying that Wales isn´t a part of the UK.
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

falkbeer wrote:It´s like saying that Wales isn´t a part of the UK.
But is it a part of England?

Owen
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

MagicSailor wrote:
falkbeer wrote:It´s like saying that Wales isn´t a part of the UK.
But is it a part of England?

Owen
NO.

Never has been. Some border bits have been switched to and fro between the two nations through history, but Wales as a whole has always had a separate identity.

"Great Britain" is a geographical label that is tolerably neutral politically and can be applied to the whole of the mainland of Scotland, England and Wales without tending to raise much objection or cause offence. "United Kingdom" is a political/legal entity including England-and-Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. It is correct legally/constitutionally but politically obnoxious, at least in Wales and Scotland, to refer e.g in postal addresses to the UK, but many of us (and without necessarily being separatist, rather just anti-imperialist) even in England would prefer to be labelled by constituent nation and "GB" than by "UK". (OK, I know there are many folks, mostly English or Unionists in Scotland and Ulster who prefer "UK".) I'm English born, long term resident in Wales and think of myself as "British" with adoptive Welshness (I play Welsh trad music, support the Welsh rugby team, sent my children to Welsh language school, etc....) - but there are plenty who'd disagree with my doing so! Joyous, ain't it? :(

To summarise, Wales is (and has been since the Anglo Saxon conquests of what became England) a nation in its own right, is technically a Principality of the United Kingdom and is geographically part of Great Britain, but has never in any way been part of England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: just to add that "UK" is NOT synonymous with "England" - see above.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

jemtheflute wrote:To summarise, Wales is (and has been since the Anglo Saxon conquests of what became England) a nation in its own right, is technically a Principality of the United Kingdom and is geographically part of Great Britain, but has never in any way been part of England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well put.

I rest my case.

:D

Owen
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

MagicSailor wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:To summarise, Wales is (and has been since the Anglo Saxon conquests of what became England) a nation in its own right, is technically a Principality of the United Kingdom and is geographically part of Great Britain, but has never in any way been part of England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well put.

I rest my case.

:D

Owen
Well, eh, me too...