Half-Holing technique query

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
EscapePod
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Half-Holing technique query

Post by EscapePod »

I would appreciate assistance as to the correct way of holding the whistle when half-holing.

The Tin Whistle Lesson Books I am using, do not show or explain this technique at all.

Do I bend the first knuckle and use the tip of the finger to half-hole
OR
straighten the finger and slide the finger upwards or downwards off the hole to achieve the note.

Many thanks
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

straighten or roll up

if you're doin' piper's grip straighten
finger tips roll up
EscapePod

Post by EscapePod »

Thankyou for the very quick response.
I am using pipers grip as I have a LowD in the wings so I will use the straighten method as you have suggested.
Many thanks
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

if ya wait long enough someone will come along and tell ya that I'm wrong!

learning to half hole will set you free.
not that I don't love keys :D
EscapePod

Post by EscapePod »

Although I use the pipers grip on the high D whistle, I have been using the tip of my fingers to half hole. I admit it has been a stretch and is awkward.
What got me thinking there must be a different way was a Library Book Selections From Riverdance For Pennywhistle - Bill Whelan, I got out the other day. It made mention about not using the finger tips but never elaborated on how to do it differently. Then I started researching and got more confused as ever.
So I will relearn and use the other method.
Thanks again.
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

What breed of Low D did you get E.P?
I just recieved my Goldie/Overton yesterday. I'm finding it a little frustrating with the reach for the bottom D. I practised my pipers grip on my Gen Bb while waiting for the Overton to arrive from Celtic Southern Cross in Tassie. I expected it to take about 10 days to arrive but it got here in three, so all current practise is done on the real deal, so to speak.
Happy whistling mate.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
EscapePod

What breed of Low D did you get E.P?

Post by EscapePod »

Mick
Like yourself the Low D I have is an Overton. That is what got me interested in the first place to learn the Penny Whistle. I just fell in love with the sound of the Overton.

Like all things beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are other Brands which are awesome as well, but the Overton sound is what won me.

I am not as proficient on the Low D as I am on the High D. My hands tire easily on the Low D. It is a challenge I am determined to suceed long term in mastering the LowD. Technique, practice, practice, practice and more practice is the key I believe to the long span in the reach.

Keep at it, you will get there I have no doubt about that.