Clarke's Sweetone and original whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Clarke's Sweetone and original whistles

Post by hoopy mike »

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd post this as it's got me scratching my head.

My favourite whistle is a Clarke's Sweetone in D - the rather natty Celtic version. Admittedly I haven't ventured into the expensive whistle bracket, but I have a modest assortment of cheapies (Walton's, Feadog, Generation). Not to say that the others aren't good, but the Sweetone is my whistle of choice.

Then I bought a Clarke's Original in C, which is a very different whistle, but pleasing to my ear. It was a bit difficult (for me) to get notes above G in the second octave without playing very loudly and with the occasional squeak though.

All went well, until my Clarke's Original started to sound rather too breathy. I think the lip must've got slightly damaged, but rather than try and fix it too much and ruin it, I decided to buy a Sweetone in C as I thought it'd be more reliable for gigs with its plastic mouthpiece than the wooden fipple on the Original which needs a bit more warming up and getting used to playing.

Anyway (is anyone still reading this?) my Clarke's Sweetone in C arrived (hideous blue colour with the annoying white logo - why on earth do they put that on these whistles?) and I eagerly removed the plastic protective sleeve, but - horror of horrors - the plastic mouthpiece had a bit missing (an injection moulding defect to be specific). The mail order company were great and send a replacement immediately though.

Having upwrapped whistle #2, I gave it a try, but was rather disappointed with the tone. It's in tune, and okish, but not as great as my Sweetone in D or the Clarke's Original in C (before its accident). Maybe it'll take a bit of getting used to - I don't want to blame any whistle for my lack of talent.

But - and here, gentle reader is the reason for my ramblings - I lined up the Clarke's Sweetone in C with the Clarke's Original in C and noticed that the hole spacings are very different. Well, actually the first five holes are spaced roughly the same on each whistle, but on the Sweetone they are nearer to the lip (I'm measuring from the lip, not the absolute end). The big difference is in the placement of the bottom hole. On the Sweetone it's a big stretch between holes 5 and 6 compared to the Original, which I find awkward (probably because I'm not used to it).

I know that hole spacing (and size) is a mix of science, preference and art, with different spacings able to give identical intervals, but I thought it curious that on the Sweetone in C Clarke's opted for this rather odd spacing (compared to the nice even one on the Original and indeed to the spacing on the Sweetone in D). Has anyone else noticed this, or am I going mad?

Oh and you can hear my Sweetone in D at:
http://www.myspace.com/reel2reelfolk

Stay hoopy,
Mike
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

When you're comparing whistle hole spacing and size, line the whistles up so that the cutting edges are even. That's the point to measure from or compare with.

Of course that doesn't explain the additional stretch on the last hole (if I'm understanding you correctly).

I don't know, I don't have a C in either, but I have a D of each and I can check when I get home.

It may be that the body of one (the Original, I'd guess) has a smaller foot, or a tighter cone, as it were. That could effect hole placement.

Jason
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Do try to fix the Clarke's Original--they're fun to tweak. I've played a few C Sweetones and haven't found them to be as good as the ones in D. Walton's makes a nice C.
markbell

Post by markbell »

Clarke's original is one of my favorite whistles. The first one I bought I've played so much that the much-maligned gold diamonds are worn away, just black laquer now.

However, every one that I have bought needed the highly technical thumb-mash tweak to be pleasing. From the factory, the windway is very tall, and tends to be breathy, especially in the upper octave.

Each new Clarke's gets a gentle, firm mash with the thumb to close the windway just a smidge, at my house.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
MTGuru

Re: Clarke's Sweetone and original whistles

Post by MTGuru »

hoopy mike wrote:the annoying white logo - why on earth do they put that on these whistles?
The goofy little dancing fellow is Whistling Billy, a London street performer described by journalist Henry Mayhew in 1856, including one of the first citations of Clarke whistles. His story is summarized in Bill Ochs' Clarke Tin Whistle tutor.

Well, you had to ask, didn't you. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Ah, Whistling Billy...

Interesting chap indeed. See:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fIoB ... #PPA203,M1

(his story starts on page 200).

I particularly enjoyed the mental picture of Billy playing the whistle through his nose whilst dancing an Irish jig with his toes turned in. Now where can you get that sort of live entertainment for a shilling these days?

Stay hoopy,
Mike
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Oh, cool, I didn't know the Mayhew was online. Thank you!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

markbell wrote:Clarke's original is one of my favorite whistles. The first one I bought I've played so much that the much-maligned gold diamonds are worn away, just black laquer now.

Mark
My first whistle is exactly like that and it's newer twin is approaching it quickly. I love my Clark Originals in D, the C is nice too, but not as much fun as the original D.

I don't like the sound of the Sweetones at all, just my preference.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Dameon

Post by Dameon »

Out of all my whistles, including my $170 Chieftain, my Clarke Original is still my favorite, and it's my favorite over all the high-end whistles I've seen played. I've never tried a Sweetone in C, so I don't know about any problems with them, but I know I prefer the sound of the original over the Sweetone in D. I've never really had to warm it up or anything.

If it's sounding too breathy, it may be as simple as some little bit of something or other being in the windway, or the wooden block might have come loose, both really easy to fix. If you love the whistle, what's to lose in trying to fix it? At the very worst, you have to fork out $10 for a new one, and that shouldn't break the bank.
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I had a Sweetone C, and I felt there was just something wrong with its tuning. But mine was bought quite a few years ago, and they may have changed it since then.

I say this because I subsequently bought a Meg C (Clarke's cheaper version of the Sweetone), and the Meg was in tune. When I compared the hole placement for the 2 whistles, they were clearly different.

Hopefully that means that they have also made the necessary corrections to the Sweetone C line.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

There's a cheaper version of the Sweetone? As if $8 wasn't cheap enough?

I'd like to try the Clarke someday but the idea of that wood block getting all wet from my saliva kind of grosses me out.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

sbfluter wrote:There's a cheaper version of the Sweetone? As if $8 wasn't cheap enough?

I'd like to try the Clarke someday but the idea of that wood block getting all wet from my saliva kind of grosses me out.
Wouldn't bother you if you'd been playing any reed instrument all your life. :)
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

tuaz wrote:I had a Sweetone C, and I felt there was just something wrong with its tuning. But mine was bought quite a few years ago, and they may have changed it since then.

I say this because I subsequently bought a Meg C (Clarke's cheaper version of the Sweetone), and the Meg was in tune. When I compared the hole placement for the 2 whistles, they were clearly different.

Hopefully that means that they have also made the necessary corrections to the Sweetone C line.
Unless we've got older line in the store, corrections weren´t made :-)
lalit

Post by lalit »

sbfluter wrote:I'd like to try the Clarke someday but the idea of that wood block getting all wet from my saliva kind of grosses me out.
I oiled my block when the whistle was fairly new to me. It's never gotten gross. The Clarke has such a lovely, sweet sound. You should definitely try one.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Sbfluter: Indeed, I agree it would be a good idea to try it. Many opinions are positive, my opinion is, that I haven´t played worse whistle in means of responsiveness, sound color or breath requirements...after trying three of them. It seems this whistle is strongly matter of opinion.