I have a question....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sara »

Hello everybody,
I was wondering if any of you know of any teen whistle players in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas? I'm wanting to meet some other teens who play the pennywhistle, but don't quite know how to go about it, so I thought you guys might have some ideas.
Thanks,
Cheerio,
Sara
LittleMy

Post by LittleMy »

http://texcelt.org/
The Texas Celtic Music Network lists some sessions around the state.

<edit> The bulletin board isn't very active right now, unfortunately. </edit>

Hmmm... wonder what there is in El Paso?
WOW! nothing. :-|

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LittleMy on 2001-08-20 22:11 ]</font>
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Sara, when I was in Dallas (admittedly some years ago!) there was a craft-type mall called Olla Podrida up by the LBJ freeway. In that mall was a traditional music store, and that gentleman helped me enormously when I needed to find musicians.

Typically, if you find any gathering of trad musicians, you'll find some who cross traditions, so dulcimer people will know whistlers, etc. You might try looking for the Lone Star State Dulcimer Society, and see if they have any info for you!

Failing all the suggestions, I say you hand out some Generations to your friends and get them hooked too!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Found it! here's a link, Sara. . .let me know how it works out for you. . http://users2.ev1.net/~dcturner/lssds.htm
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

As long as we're talking local areas, does anyone have any resources for the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse sections of NY?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hi Sara
This is an edit: Sorry Sara I thought it was Houston but you want Dallas Sorry,
Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann has formed a new branch in Houston Texas it is called the:
Roi'si'n Bui Den.

Comhaltas offers lessons and sessions to all ages interested in learning, playing and preserving Irish traditional music and culture. Here is their website.

http://www.ccesouth.com/

Read the box on the lower right. I didn't see a phone number but they shouldn't be hard to fine. If the Houston branch is the same in as ours in Detroit, you will find plenty of teens, learning everything dance, whistle, flute.

avanutria try this for Rochester NY;

http://www.cceofrochesternewyork.com/

Hope this helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MarkB on 2001-08-21 12:20 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MarkB on 2001-08-21 12:24 ]</font>
Sara

Post by Sara »

I just wanted to thank you guys for giving me those web sites. I went to them and haven't found anything yet, but I didn't look at every bit of the sites. I'm going to later. Thanks again.
Bye,
§ara
IguanaGuy

Post by IguanaGuy »

I thought I'd punt this to the top of the list as I'm also interested in getting together with other relative newbies (or people willing to help out newbies) in the Dallas area.
Sara

Post by Sara »

IguanaGuy:
Hello!
I live in Arlington. How long have you been playing? I have been playing for about 5 weeks.
Write back,
Sara. :cool:
IguanaGuy

Post by IguanaGuy »

I'd be embarrassed to say how long I've posessed my whistles, but I've managed to learn a short waltz and I'm working on a reel (through Scoiltrad).

I tend to work a lot but I've been sneaking in more practice time recently and the more I do, the more I want.
IguanaGuy

Post by IguanaGuy »

I should probably also mention that I'm not a teen. I'm 35. Having said that, I'll also say that I don't care about the ages in any whistling group I might hook up with (although I probably don't have the patience to join a group of 5 year-olds)