A Lifelong Dream Fulfilled!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
squidgirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A Lifelong Dream Fulfilled!

Post by squidgirl »

Today I fulfilled a lifelong dream, which was to enjoy playing my whistle whilst out in the woods or in some pleasingly tree-full park-like setting, and have my playing be pleasant enough to be a pleasing soundtrack for random passers-by. I went out to the Columbia River Gorge with my roommate and her visiting parents, and impulsively took a whistle with me. At first my playing sounded kind of wimpy and lame surrounded by all that outdoors, so I made myself remember that the whistle sounds much better when you just go for it, and picked up momentum from there. I think it kind of helped that Latourelle Falls kept getting louder as I got closer, so I lost my inhibitions just trying to hear myself play. But the icing on the cake happened when some people came up behind me and I stopped playing, and they said, "No, no, keep on playing, you're our soundtrack. "

My new avatar is a photo taken of me playing just a few minutes after that encounter. The white stuff behind me is the bottom of the falls whooshing up into mist.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

A great story, and a great new photo, squid. :thumbsup:

Which tunes did you play?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
The Laughing Imp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: A Lifelong Dream Fulfilled!

Post by The Laughing Imp »

squidgirl wrote:Today I fulfilled a lifelong dream, which was to enjoy playing my whistle whilst out in the woods or in some pleasingly tree-full park-like setting, and have my playing be pleasant enough to be a pleasing soundtrack for random passers-by. I went out to the Columbia River Gorge with my roommate and her visiting parents, and impulsively took a whistle with me. At first my playing sounded kind of wimpy and lame surrounded by all that outdoors, so I made myself remember that the whistle sounds much better when you just go for it, and picked up momentum from there. I think it kind of helped that Latourelle Falls kept getting louder as I got closer, so I lost my inhibitions just trying to hear myself play. But the icing on the cake happened when some people came up behind me and I stopped playing, and they said, "No, no, keep on playing, you're our soundtrack. "

My new avatar is a photo taken of me playing just a few minutes after that encounter. The white stuff behind me is the bottom of the falls whooshing up into mist.
Isn't that fun? I had opportunity on my way to Scottsdale, AZ to stop in the middle of the desert, turn off the lights, pull my whistle out, and play into the night desert air with the Milky Way my only illumination. I've also played by a small (especially compared to your photo) waterfall somewhere in Capital Reef National Park. I've also played up at a place called Temple Quarry in Utah.

I love playing out in the outdoors. I didn't know that other people liked to do it too. I feel really one with nature then. I'm afraid I'm a bit shy, though, so I wouldn't have been able to continue playing if I were you until the people had moved on. I usually stop, so my dream is to be like you and continue on even if others travel by.

Congratulations! Wonderful picture.
Lovin' life with my Burke DBS

Looking for a Clarke Enchanted Tinwhistle (http://is.gd/1nPK). PM me if you have one for sale...
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

That's great. What a nice thing to hear about your playing. They said the perfect thing. I recently went to Sabino Canyon and sat down by a small river and played. It was awesome being in such a perfect setting.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
riverman

Post by riverman »

Bravo, Squidgirl! Good for you! You had the courage to play, and you blessed someone!

And an excellent avatar, as well!

The whistle was made for the outdoors. As my wife says, it sounds even better at a distance than right up close (after which she hastens to say, "It's not your playing, it sounds good up close, too!")
When playing under the trees by the river, I've had several people happen by in a canoe and actually thank me!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
CelticHarpie

Post by CelticHarpie »

One of my most cherished memories is visiting the Cliffs of Mohr in 2000. While sitting on the grass watching gulls spiral around I heard a faint sound of a fiddle and flute on the wind. It was a pair of young ladies. They weren't busking, just merely playing for their own enjoyment.

It certainly made a lasting memory for me!

Congratulations, Squidgirl on sharing your gifts with nature and those in it :)
trill

Dream fulfilled

Post by trill »

What a nice moment Squidgirl !

Playing outside can be great ! I'm glad you had some appreciative listeners!

One of my best in-naturo moments came in a cave...

I was hiking in a cave large enough to have a state park named after it. So, I whipped out my trusty, indestructable Susato (with mute), and rolled out a few tunes.

The cave yielded incredible echos, which gave the sound an ethereal, shimmering quality. It was lovely. Several people stopped and remarked appreciatively. It was great!

trill
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

Great story. Always awesome is playing outdoors. I really like the picture too. :thumbsup:
Tia

Post by Tia »

Thats great!
I really want to play outdoors too, working up the courage to, I've played at the lake, but only on cold days when not alot of people are around soon hopefully one day
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

What a great picture!!! :D That is a good story and experience, I hope your playing goes up from there.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
azw

Post by azw »

I did my first whistling outdoors because I didn't want an audience while I was learning. I've not tried it since then, although I have noticed that some animals seem to pay attention to my whistling when I'm near a window. I wonder what they're thinking or feeling? I hope it's not pain!
RamblDoc

squidgirl's playlist

Post by RamblDoc »

Hi Squidgirl:
Count me among those who've found this to be a welcome story. So, now. . . . . . .

OUT WITH IT ------
Alright, let's have it.

1. What tunes did you play ?? List them in order, please.

2. What whistle (s) did you bring and play ? Key, bore, etc.

3. All the other glorious details. The tune you played just before the passers-by commented.

All the Chiffsters in Fippledom want to know!

Did you play any of the material likely to have been played on the fiddle taken along on the Lewis and Clark expedition ? Possibly The Old French Reel, Soldier's Joy, White Cockade, etc. Off to California ?

Congrats on your good notices, RamblDoc
Kansas

Your Dream realized

Post by Kansas »

What a nice story. I find myself intimidated as well. I have been playing over perhaps 3 or so years I guess. I don't get to play as much as I'd like to either.

A couple of years ago I visited my brother in Indiana. He had just bought a new and fabulous home that had quite a large and wooded yard. I took my Busman out to play and thought that no one probably heard it.

After about 20 minutes or so, one of the neighbors came up. I stopped playing, and she insisted that she really liked the sound and wanted to know all about the whistle. She was not sure of the songs until she heard "Danny Boy". Then she kwew it must be Irish.

It was wonderful confirmation that at least I had one fan.

Thanks for your story and bringing back my memory of another pleasant time of my own.
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
kennychaffin

Re: Dream fulfilled

Post by kennychaffin »

trill wrote:What a nice moment Squidgirl !

Playing outside can be great ! I'm glad you had some appreciative listeners!

One of my best in-naturo moments came in a cave...

I was hiking in a cave large enough to have a state park named after it. So, I whipped out my trusty, indestructable Susato (with mute), and rolled out a few tunes.

The cave yielded incredible echos, which gave the sound an ethereal, shimmering quality. It was lovely. Several people stopped and remarked appreciatively. It was great!

trill
Mute?
KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennychaffin

Re: A Lifelong Dream Fulfilled!

Post by kennychaffin »

squidgirl wrote:Today I fulfilled a lifelong dream, which was to enjoy playing my whistle whilst out in the woods or in some pleasingly tree-full park-like setting, and have my playing be pleasant enough to be a pleasing soundtrack for random passers-by. I went out to the Columbia River Gorge with my roommate and her visiting parents, and impulsively took a whistle with me. At first my playing sounded kind of wimpy and lame surrounded by all that outdoors, so I made myself remember that the whistle sounds much better when you just go for it, and picked up momentum from there. I think it kind of helped that Latourelle Falls kept getting louder as I got closer, so I lost my inhibitions just trying to hear myself play. But the icing on the cake happened when some people came up behind me and I stopped playing, and they said, "No, no, keep on playing, you're our soundtrack. "

Wonderful!!

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama