What is the hardest tune you are learning/have learned?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I'm currently having a terrible time with "Toss the Feathers." It shouldn't be so hard, but the combination of the reel rhythm and all those jumps...sheesh.

The hardest tune that I can actually PLAY is a Scottish tune (heresy?) called "Andy Renwick's Ferret." It's a pipe/fiddle tune, very very fun to play fast and furious, but there are no good spots to breathe, as you might expect.

Tom

p.s. My current quote seems appropriate to this thread! Keep at it:
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Tarbolon Reel (reel, Nico), which I transcribed to abc from "Willie Clancy's Dance Music of Ireland" has all of his ornamentation on paper, which is how I strived to learn it. If anyone wants, I'll repost the abc's. Anyway, I have a whole book of hard tunes to work through!

I picked up an abc on the net of Mary Bergin's version of Monaghan's Jig. Great tune with multiple parts and 2 complete variation/versions. Just different enough to be hard to memorize. Worth the trouble, though. I've been working on it for weeks, but still wouldn't consider going public with it yet.

Maudabawn Chapel, from Kevin Burke's fiddle playing is really tough. Keeping the phrasing distinguishable is the challenge. I agree that Wise Maid and Drowsy Maggy take work to get down.

If you want an easy tune that sounds unbelievable, try Pigeon on the Gate from McCullough's 121 Fav Irish Session Tunes. (It'll boost your ego.)

Almost forgot: Clare Reels from Chieftains5 is really tough to smooth out on. I've recorded myself several times when I thought I had it and was humbled by the playback.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I'd like to have a look at the transcription Tony! Post the Tarbolton reel please!
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

Hey Brian,
Ive spent months trying to learn that confounded pony song off the Film cuts cd. Bleary eyes, late nights bulk purchases of aspirin etc. As it happens last night I cracked the last catch in the tune. I never could quite get the rythym of the second part on this one triplet, actually I had two triplets mixed to gether, kind of complicated(i think I ODed on the aspirin) Anyway I finally did it! played the whole thing through note for note, without slowing it down or anything, with the cheiftains. Exhilarating. I'm just glad everyone else has problems with it too. I thought maybe there was something wrong with me(aghem).
Anyway there you have thats the hardest one Ive played to date.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Anything with lotsa c naturals and triplets!

BTW, this is Annie Mandarin, wierd things happened and neither of my browsers would accept My username, password or e-mail address when I went to log in. Don't mean to be a cheat, but I figure I'm safe here in Deadwood as long as only pennywhistlers come to visit!
Spoo

Post by Spoo »

Hmm... currently I have guitar solos of
Paranoid and I Love Rock & Roll to
learn.. Trying to get the notes from
guitar tabs or midis. Difficulty is
that I have to play with the original
in background to get the rythm, but
that tends to be too fast for studying.