What is the hardest tune you are learning/have learned?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Outership
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Outership »

Hi all, Great new board! :smile:

Studies here continue and I was wondering what the high-skill level tunes were? Anyone got one to share?
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

Any Reel

Joe
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Right now I'm trying to get my hands around Colonel Fraser. Five parts to begin with, and the expectation of a /lot/ of ornamentation. It's one of the standard UP showoff tunes, and even <i>without</i> regulators it's a challenge!

Colonel F goes like <a href="http://www.lafferty.ca/misc/frazer.jpg">this</a>.

(Yeesh, that image was HYOOOGE. Sorry.)

-Rich

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2001-06-27 11:12 ]</font>
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

I've never been able to get a handle on Sean Sa Cheo (a.k.a. John in the Fog, Sean is Sinead). It is a 3 part reel that spends a lot of time in the 2nd register. I now love the energy that the 2nd register gives out so I am looking for tunes that spend more time there. It has a fair number of triplets and rolls, and has a great swing. I am going to buy the Conal O'Grada (http://www.scoiltrad.com)lesson for that tune this July.
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

The hardest tune for me to learn (at this moment) is the Tarbolton Jig/Reel (I don't know which it is!!!!) :eek:

Nico

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NicoMoreno on 2001-06-27 10:25 ]</font>
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I've been working on a set with Tom Billy's jig and The Langstrom Pony for some time now. Not overly complex, just straight and fast with a great lilt or swing to it! I've also been picking away at Colonel Fraiser and The Bucks of Oranmore. Doubt I'll EVER get those two! :smile:

Slán

Brian~
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Drowsy Maggie
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

Bunker Hill: the combination of rolls on C natural, high D, plus crans is driving me NUTS!
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Brian the Brave - my favourite tune but difficult to play (at least for me)
tephillah

Post by tephillah »

I agree about Langstrom's Pony, and would add The Gravel Walk and Wise Maid to the list.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

So Tephillah,

How long has that stinkin' pony tune been keeping you awake at nights wondering just how folks like Paddy and Mary B. are able to pull it off so perfectly?! :smile:

And Claudine...what's all this about me being brave? :wink:

All my best,

Bri~
tephillah

Post by tephillah »

Brian,
Langstrom's has remained unattempted so far, I only struggle along with it when we play it at sesiuns. After hammering away at it last nite, I think I'm ready to take the challenge!
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

So now I will try to be brave and begin practicing the beast: Langstrom's Pony. Thanks for the idea.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Hmmm, I dunno why, but the tune I can't still get correctly is "Gravel Walk". There's that darn 4th or 5th part which goes from octave to octave and that kills me... :smile: Also, "O'Carolan's Concerto" gives me headaches
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

I guess the moral is that an advanced tune is the one that I just can't seem to get down. Some of the tunes mentioned I find flow easily for me while others I struggle with too... No, I don't think it's tunes that are advanced it's some of us who are slow.