First Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Llhorian
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Llhorian »

I was actually thinking of getting Traditional Irish Tin Whistle Tutor by G. Cotter, since a lot of sites seem to speak highly of it.
Curlyblue
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Curlyblue »

Hoi!

Leuk zeg, weer een aspirerende nederlandse whistle speler!
(just said hi and that it was nice to have another dutch aspiring whistler).

You already have some good tips from the other members of the board.

I can recommend the Clarke tinwhistle book+tape (and whistle if you want). I have several other books but found this one to be the easiest. It graduately takes you step by step into playing the whistles in a very natural way. You will surprise yourself! Other books, I've found to take bigger leaps in the learning proces. Don't know if you have any musical background but that doesn't really matter since you'll be learning traditional tunes mostly (not that you can't play anything else ofcourse). Since we're not used to that in our orange country the Clarke book will also ease you into the feel of the rythm.

Some music stores have the odd generation (probably horribly out of tune - which has kept me from pursueing this interest for a whee while) but you can't go wrong with:

The Celtic Shop in Bergen Op Zoom. They have Clarkes, Waltons, Generations, Susatos, some low whistles and you can ask them for anything you want. They also have or can order cd's/ sheet music and some of the publications the others mention above.

And, Overton is not situated very far from (Germany just across the border). Tony Dixon, as mentioned is in England. If you happen to enjoy a day in London, there's Hobogoblin's Music Store. I hear they have lots of different makes of high-end whistles they let you try before you buy, I'll try that in a few months. Burke whistles have an Irish contact, Mick O'Brien who has been very nice to me and I'm glad to say I'm fortunate to play one now. But these are the expensive ones. You will find that if you have a good cheap whistles you won't need anything else for a while. Unless you want to ofcourse.

Enough about all of this. Where are my manners? Welkom in de whistle wereld.

As a friesian, Twarres has a few songs with whistles and just the type of music to play along with (folky and lots of fiddle). But you probably know that already.

Mail me for the phonenumber of the Celtic Shop, don't have it at hand.

Bye!
Ilana
Curlyblue

Post by Curlyblue »

Sorry, it's late can't sleep or read very well.

I've repeated what others already said and you've already answered.

But, I would go for the Clarke book/tape/whistle by Bill Ochs (not the Geraldine one) and a Walton's little Black (f 12,50) or a Sweetone (f 13,50). How much the Clarke instructional set is, you'll have to ask the people of the Celtic Shop. They can send it all to you.

Tel. +31 164 238 730

Also, I wanted to say you can always ask me anything. The whistle lingo is english and as you learn and read more this may get confusing. More than happy to explain it in dutch.

Bye now,
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

On 2001-08-20 15:54, Llhorian wrote:
I was actually thinking of getting Traditional Irish Tin Whistle Tutor by G. Cotter, since a lot of sites seem to speak highly of it.
The G. Cotter book is very good. When it first came out there were 2 tapes available that went with it, one for the instruction part of the book and the other with the 100 tunes she has in the 2nd half of the book. Now the 100 tunes are available on two CDs which makes it alot easier for study.

Joe
Tillek

Post by Tillek »

I started out a few months ago just like you. I had never played any musical insturment before but I thought it would be a new and challenging hobby.

I got a Clarke as my first whistle, and I love it, but once the wooden fipple gets wet its impossible to play. ;( I'd have to say get a dixon or a sweetone as well. I've been using the Step One Learn to play the pennywhistle book and cd set. It's working out great.

Good Luck!
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

´Gegroet en welkom in de wondere wereld van de whistle' (sorry folks, another dutch greeting) - I'm originally from Holland (Bollenstreek), but lived in Denmark since April 2000.

You received some good advice already - except for the one that says: It's not too late to turn back now! :wink:

The shop in Bergen op Zoom is probably quite a good option. Another store in England i have good experience with is Soar Valley Music (http://www.soarmumsic.demon.co.uk)
They have a good collection of whistles and tutorials, and their service is nice.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I won't upset you by goign double Dutch on you but as whistles go get yourself a generation d, which is the most common and a lot better that a feadog. I just picked up an Oak in Custy's i nennis and that seems OK too. Stay away from conical whistle (except the old style Clarke maybe) the sweettones are pretty awfull to my ears (those are coloured ones aren't they??, the wooden ones and the susatos are unplaesantly loud. At the beginner-stage, stick with what works for the great players. If they are good enough for (the late)Micho Russell, Brid Donoghue, Geraldine Cotter and all of those why bother about spending a lot of money.
Bookwise Geraldine Cotter would be my first choice and Bill Ochs second. Don't bother with the rest, between the two you can get yourself sorted. Cotter is closest to the tradition, Bill introduces some other tunes, well that's whatever you fancy offcourse.
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

I agree on the Sweetone. I have several inexpensive whistles and like my Sweetone best by far. It has a nice sound, is easy to play and is cheap! If you buy one of these and decide that the tin whistle isn't for you, then you haven't invested much money.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I think the Sweetone is an ideal choice for a new player.

Dale Wisely
Llhorian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Llhorian »

Well I called the Celtic Shop today, very friendly and helpful people by the way :smile: (thanks curlyblue)
and I ordered a Sweetone (sadly they only had the ones in gaudy colours left) and Bill Ochs' book and tape. I also ordered a Little Black (I wanted a Clare but they didn't have any), so's I have a cylindrical one as well and I can always cross-check the whistles (ok admittedly if it gives a horrible sound it will probably be me at this stage)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Sweetone, D.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Okay, another opinion...

I am a real fan of the Clarke originals. I even like the little gold diamonds in the paint job.

I suggest the tutorial book and tape set that you can get for the Clarke whistle, regardless of what whistle you actually start with. I learned to read music from this tutorial and I just love the way Bill Ochs plays the whistle in the tape. Also, The Whistle Shop now has a CD version, rather than the cassette tape. I would rather have used that to start with, since I would be able to set a track to repeat, instead of manually rewinding the tape to hear a tune again. I have purchased several other tutorials and never found one I like as well.

So, my vote is Clarke original whistle and Clarke tutorial materials.

-Patrick