Right hand pinky and whistle stabilization

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
charlie_butterworth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Right hand pinky and whistle stabilization

Post by charlie_butterworth »

I've been following Grey Larsen's tutor for a couple of weeks now. Previously, I used to let the little finger of my right hand dangle in space. Then, upon the recommendation in the Tin Whistle Toolbox, I began to use my pinky to stabilize the whistle. After doing this, I have the following observations:

1. I have to stretch my pinky to touch whistle, but it is not fatiguing at all.
2. The pinky actually does help in stabilization, especially when playing notes like A and B.
3. However, in order to use my pinky in this manner, I have either bend the fingers of my right hand, or play using the inside knuckle of my RH middle finger - more of a piping finger position. Sometimes my low D and the E can be squeaky.

So, should I persevere with using my RH pinky? I expect that if I do, I will get used to playing the lower notes without squeaks. This will allow me to reap the benefits of whistle stabilization. OR should I not worry about the RH pinky and get used to less stabilization when I play notes such as "B"?

Right now, I am opting for trying to retain use of my RH pinky.

Thanks,
Charlie
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Do whatever it works for you. If it's uncomfortable and 'unnatural' to play with the RH pinky finger on the whistle, then, don't do it.

Particularly, in a first instance, I used to have my RH pinky flying all the time, but now it's almost always on the whistle, and only lifing itself when I do rolls on E or when I do any passages on the lower notes.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

I agree with Martin/Bothrops - find what works for you..... FWIW, and ONLY saying what I do myself/what works for my hands, on high whistle I slightly arch my RH fingers and on low whistle I use semi-pipers' with the R hand only - as shown in those youTube demo clips I've posted on whistle. And then, I have a flute player's Eb/R4 finger habit anyway. If you check out my Queen of the Rushes vid clip, I play all three instruments on the same vid.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I never got the hang of using the pinky and I use the B3 finger on the last hole for stabiliation when needed. I always thought the pinky on the whistle made my third finger slower because it had less range of motion that way. The only drawback is you have to get the hang of removing that finger when you play G or lower, but that doesn't take long to master.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

I find my pinky isn't always stabilizing the whistle, it only does when it needs to. otherwise i don't really think about it. :)
charlie_butterworth

Post by charlie_butterworth »

Good advice. While practicing last night and this morning, I noticed that it now feels a little weird not to use my RH pinky. So, I must be getting used to it. However, notes E and D are still a little problematic, but if I use a partial piper's grip with the RH, I can get a good sounding low D.

I expect that as my proficiency improves, I may end up using the RH pinky only part of the time, mainly for stabilization when playing G, A, B, C, etc.

I have to admit that I would really, really recommend Grey Larsen's book to any beginner who does not have access to a teacher. I cannot believe the improvements that I have made in the last week or so, especially with my cuts. His exercises have been a great help.

Thanks for the advice.

Charlie
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

I just ran up through the scale on my whistle and noticed that my pinky is down when playing A, B, C, and sometimes G. If anything involves my bottom hand fingers the pinky comes off. There's nothing saying you have to leave your pinky down the whole time. This is what apparently works best for me. Just find out what works best for you.
Anal

Post by Anal »

Hello, me too I struggled about this and once I asked about the problem in the "thesession.org" forum.
Here's the thread so you can read other's opinions too.

http://www.thesession.org/discussions/d ... 9/comments

Me too I find quite stressful for the hand to keep the pinky glued on, and avoidin stress is something very important for Grey Larsen's book itself. Actually, it... stress a lot about avoiding stress.

Nevertheless I'm getting using to that now; I find myself rising the pinky only to play D. I'm unsure if getting used to a stressing position is a good idea but I found it easier than learning to keep B3 down on it's hole only on the highest notes, it's kinda like learning a NEW FINGERING sistem at all; and I don't want to.
After hours of exercises I feel the external part of the bottom hand fatigued and a (veri tiny) bit painfully though.

I found quite helpful actually GLUING the whistle to the pinky with a drop os sticky tack; that makes my pinky "longer" of some millimeter - so it reaches the whistle more easily and without arching that much the other fingers - AND helps the pinky to stay there being that stuff... sticky.

Actually, I use it rarely because I think it would be embarassing to be at a session with that stuff on my hand so I'd like to get used to play well without it. But pehraps I shouldn't care about that and use it with no worries...

...the truth is that the time I'll play in a session is SO FAR AWAY... I'm almost a permanent beginner. I learn and progress in a very slow way... but that's another story.

The Grey Larsen's book it's EXCELLENT, by the way. I call it my personal master. I also bought the "exercises for finger coordination" from it's website and I find it VERY, VERY useful.

It's a long way to learn... sigh.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I use mine, most of the time, though I don't think about it.

I use the second pads on the right hand, rather than tip pads, as well.

YMMV

As others have said, what works best for you is good.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have hired a small child to stand next to me and hold the whistle whenever I play C#. He works for peanuts--literally. And M&M's.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I've been playing for a fair few hours today, having had my low whistle since Tuesday, and I did notice my right hand little finger was the only one that was sore, and I then became quite conscious of it flapping around...

I'm now trying keeping it resting on the whistle, and moving out of the way when needs be, and it certainly seems to be working for me - I've pretty much just managed to get through a fast tune spanning the octaves, without squeaks, so it seems like a good technique to me!
Anal

Post by Anal »

anniemcu wrote:I use mine, most of the time, though I don't think about it.

YMMV

Don't you have any problems in ornamentating the low notes? Expecially the strike on the E, where you should raise the ring finger quit a lot - theorethically, as far as I know - ?
For sure using the second pad will reduce your range of motion of the fingers.

Thanks for your comments :-)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Anal wrote:
anniemcu wrote:I use mine, most of the time, though I don't think about it.

YMMV

Don't you have any problems in ornamentating the low notes? Expecially the strike on the E, where you should raise the ring finger quit a lot - theorethically, as far as I know - ?
For sure using the second pad will reduce your range of motion of the fingers.

Thanks for your comments :-)
I don't think so, though others, listening to me, may have other ideas. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

Anglorfin wrote:I just ran up through the scale on my whistle and noticed that my pinky is down when playing A, B, C, and sometimes G. If anything involves my bottom hand fingers the pinky comes off.
I like this one and this
FJohnSharp wrote:I never got the hang of using the pinky and I use the B3 finger on the last hole for stabiliation when needed.
so, use B4 and/or B3 when above G,
G being a kinda optional who cares note
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

Denny wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:I never got the hang of using the pinky and I use the B3 finger on the last hole for stabiliation when needed.
so, use B4 and/or B3 when above G,
G being a kinda optional who cares note
Too late to change now--I'm in a good place.

Thanks.