Beginner Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pojp58
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Beginner Whistle

Post by pojp58 »

Hello to you all. I am new here and this is my first post. I have been reading for a long time here to find out which way would be the best way to learn the Whistle. I just cant read anymore.

There are to many choices which only makes it harder to figure out how to get started. Im sure you all heard this before. Ive read post as far back as you can go on this board and still not sure.

Question is in your opinion, 1st whistle, 1st tutor book with cd maybe?

Also, forget about price for a moment. Which whistle would give you the cleanest sound, easiest to play and easiest to blow?

Thanks In Advance.
Perry
ElPollo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ElPollo »

I think that if you've read the reviews on this forum, you've noticed the Every whistle.

Affordable, great sound, able to mute some of the volume for practising.

If i was beginning, i'd seriously consider that whistle as my first whistle.
Enclose

Post by Enclose »

A Dixon trad maybe? Great inexpensive whistles!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Here's my two cents. I don't care whether you get a high end whistle or not. What I care about is if you practice and learn how to play the whistle. If you're going to make an internet order, whatever you buy, buy some cheap whistles to leave in your car, your purse, your backpack. Buy whistles in different keys and different materials. You'll enjoy the comparing and contrasting aspects of multiple whistles. Get at least one whistle that's tunable (that should be a D.) When you learn to play, you're going to want to be in tune when you play with other people.

Where are you getting your whistle(s)? Are you a musician already? Please let us know how it goes.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Bill Hennessy

Post by Bill Hennessy »

For what it's worth, I really found Bill Ochs' tutor very helpful. It comes with a CD. He uses a Clarke original, I think. I don't own one myself, but did find the Clarke Sweetone to nice one for a first whistle. Now I'm more partial to a Dixon Trad, though; it's much nicer in the second octave and easier playing. Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Peace.
Boody

Post by Boody »

Just buy as many whistles as you can, eventually you might find the one that works best for you (I have yet to reach that point).

I think the Grey Larson book is very helpful, I like his technical explanations of everything.
Whistle Clips (Old, I really need to update these)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

First the neccessary caveat - "I am not an expert whistler."

Not to dismiss any opinions of others, but the tutors are not going to do nearly as much for you as immersing yourself in listening to the music played by really good players. I would suggest that you spend your money on the recordings first. Get the feel of the music, get to know the phrasing in your mind before trying to decipher it on any page. Learn to tell a jig from a reel, learn to match the notes played rather than the dots written. (they can be a help, but not so much until you know what the music should sound like. It is rarely written in notation as it is played.)

Then, when you get the tutors, you will already have a good grounding in what the music actually is, and can get to work on technique and decoration.

As for which whistle... it has been proven repeatedly that the brand doesn't matter nearly as much as the player - beginner or expert. That said, I still recommend a Jerry Tweaked Mellow Dog or an Every Whistle on the low price end or a Burke in the mid price range. When you get good enough to worry more about what you want in the sound rather than how to play the thing, then the higher priced ones are an option. Starting out with a high priced whistle may feel good, but it will not make you a better player any faster.

Well, that's just my two cents. Today. YMMV
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Bill Hennessy wrote:For what it's worth, I really found Bill Ochs' tutor very helpful. It comes with a CD. He uses a Clarke original, I think. I don't own one myself, but did find the Clarke Sweetone to nice one for a first whistle. Now I'm more partial to a Dixon Trad, though; it's much nicer in the second octave and easier playing. Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Peace.
I'm not convinced there's really one whistle that's best to learn on; however, I second the advice on the Bill Ochs tutor and CD. Well worth getting!

As to the whistle, I usually recommend Oaks and Feadogs to learn on. Both of these seem pretty consistently good and don't take as much air as some of the Clarke originals do.

Whatever you get, good luck to you, and be welcome here!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
pojp58

Post by pojp58 »

Thanks for the fast response.

mutepointe, I was a bass player in a country band for a long time and can read music. I have no whistle yet and asked this question on this forum because I new I would get honest answers and with all the exp. here the forum would lead me down the right road.

anniemcu, been listening to the music for a while now and I think, no I know this is why I want to learn to play. Ive done a lot of reading and its time to get to it.

As a true beginner all of your opinions are important to me. Again thank you and hopefully in a year or two I will be able to play a tune or two.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

You will come to appreciate how much easier it is to always have a whistle handy compared to a bass.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I would personally not recommend a Clark Original for learning.

I get those Comhaltas emails and listen to the video's of the day, and all the kids who play on there are playing Gens or Feadogs or Oaks. That says a lot.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Perry Prevo wrote:... anniemcu, been listening to the music for a while now and I think, no I know this is why I want to learn to play. Ive done a lot of reading and its time to get to it....
Then go for it! And glad you finally popped out of the woodwork. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Three whistles, Generation, Feadog, and a Sweetone. All whistlers have no less then one of each.
Last edited by Tommy on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Pay no attention to the man behind the FJohnSharp curtain :twisted:

I would advise: don't eliminate the Clarke original from your prospects.

My two favorite suprano D whistles are the Clarke original design and the Every Whistle (just intonation version), both require approximately the same amount of air, but with the "thumb squoosh" tweak, you can reduce the amount of air required for the Clarke.

I have had good luck with the last batch of Generation whistles I ordered as well.
Deathtrap

Post by Deathtrap »

I am no expert, but I think you dont need a whistle with the "cleanest sound, easiest to play and easiest to blow" to start with.

my first whistle is a Little Black, but i didnt like it. Then a friend got me an Oak, I love it ever since.

you wont end up with only 1 whistle, so try a few of the inexpensive brands first, gen, feadog, oak, dixon, sweetone, clarke, etc, that way, with the $ of an expensive whistle, you end up with more than a few whistles, possibly getting one that you love and spend more time on.

"cleanest sound, easiest to play and easiest to blow" is very subjective, so try the cheapies first. :) (Dixon new trad brass comes to mind)