Official Chiff and Fipple Jewelry

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

I think I am going to do something on a circular base with the C&F words and some whistle stuff. I think it will be a pendant/keyring. I can get sterling silver keyrings for about the same price as silver chains, so that's how I'll make it available to men and women.

:smile: Jessie
LKtz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LKtz »

Have you ever thought of making a pendent with a whistle design in a circle on it? Then maybe you could have Chiff & Fipple in the center. Well, I don't know, it's just an idea.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Certainly a possibility...I'll start playing with silver in the next day or two.

:smile:
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I found reference to a keychain of a recorder:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1457917916

You could make something like that as a whistle and I bet people would snap it up. Do you work in anything besides silver? A brass or bronze one would be cool, and less expensive too.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Well, I work in silver, but something can be cast in almost any metal. Still, something that big would be too heavy to be practical (the recorder keychain I've seen is wooden), and furthermore, if it were going to be some cheap metal, the whole thing would be cheaper. And I am a silversmith.

I made something yesterday that is still in the developing stages, but I think when I figure it out completely, it'll be cute...imagine this: a bouquet of whistles on a round or oval base, with the words "Chiff" and "Fipple" somewhere on there.

gitchel

Post by gitchel »

I don't suppose we could have the whistle be fully-functional? Perhaps tunable as well? In D? ;-)

By the way, I saw your pictures over in another topic. I experienced an unusual emotion - for me, at least. I found myself feeling an odd mix of joy, peace, and jealousy - I think a few tears ran down my cheeks, in fact. Now that I think of it, though, perhaps I just needed a bit of that Guiness Stout.

<sigh>

Well, all better now. My Sindts arrived last night :-D

Seriously, those where beautiful pictures!
Jeff Gitchel
jeff@turtlemoon.org
turtlemoon.org
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On 2001-08-21 14:01, JessieK wrote:
Still, something that big would be too heavy to be practical (the recorder keychain I've seen is wooden)
The keychain I linked to was only about 2 inches long (the recorder part), I got one for Christmas one year. If you made a silver or brass whistle one with a black or red mothpiece, I'd get one =)

How big a recorder keychain did you see? Was it playable?? that *would* be cool.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

The recorder I had seen before was wooden, 8cm, playable, made by Mollenhauer. The one you linked to is cute, but maybe I should clarify my intention here. I am a jeweler, a silversmith, and I am intending to make a classy silver thing, not a knock-off generation with a piece of plastic. It will be jewelry, but if men want one, it can be a classy keyring (Tiffany makes keyrings, too). Anyway, thanks for the interest and the ideas. I'm working on it.

Jessie

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JessieK on 2001-08-21 15:14 ]</font>
Llhorian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Llhorian »

On 2001-08-21 15:12, JessieK wrote:
but if men want one, it can be a classy keyring (Tiffany makes keyrings, too). Anyway, thanks for the interest and the ideas. I'm working on it.

Jessie
What, men don't like jewellery? :smile: I personally am very fond of my triple celtic knot silver ring (triple as in 3 rings linked in each other) and my silver armband with celtic knot pattern. (yes I'm a celtophile :smile:

I wouldn't mind a ring or pendant at all and I'm very pleased you use silver it's really stylish / classy and goes with everything. (I just don't like gold, especially not on men, it either looks gaudy or ..hmm what's the word...pimpy? :wink:

__
Llhorian
mark02

Post by mark02 »

I have a two part suggestion: Perhaps a pendant type item that could be ordered either as a handing pendant, or a as a pin. That could give folks who don't wear hanging jewelry the chance to use the pin as either a tie-tack or a lapel pin.

That was only the first part of the suggestion. The second part is that perhaps a small portion of the money could go towards one of Dale's many helpful organizations. Speaking for myself, I would be all too happy to order an item knowing that a part of the money might go towards something community minded. Please don't think I believe you to be less than community minded, Jessie; quite the contrary, I think this sort might appeal to you.
Thanks for listening,

Mark Sackett
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I'll talk to Dale about that. If I do use the Chiff and Fipple words, it would make sense. If not, well, whistle makers generally don't give away a portion of their money.

As for the pin idea, it's a good one, but if I do that, I would have to do a lot of work on each piece (soldering, polishing, etc.) and that would drive up the price, so I am not going to do that.

clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

As I am not a pendant kind of guy... How about a ring that is simply a whistle wrapped around the finger? The fipple end could meet the other end. Too wierd?

clark
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Well, I have done that whistle around the finger once. I made it for Joanie. And I can do that, too, in addition to the pendant. But it has to be wrap around adjustable, or I'd have to make one in every size to have it cast.

Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I love clark's (no relation that I know of) idea for a ring - except there is a sizing issue. I'm not sure how many sizes there are, but I know there are plenty. Probably more trouble than it's worth.
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

If your price is pretty much fixed at <i>
around $38 including shipping</i> I'd like to see an O'Riordan D whistle with a silver Chiff & Fipple band around it...and no waiting list! ...just a wildly insane thought...