Review of Tablature Karaoke Program

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CDon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CDon »

Greetings,

I would like to make all aware of a relatively new program called Tablature Karaoke... I have no affiliation of any sort with the author of this program, other than being a happy user, and would just like to bring it to your attention in the event that it will enhance your enjoyment of playing musical instruments.

I realize that many consider tablature a crutch, but there are others who will find such a program a blessing based on occasional requests that one sees posted. In my own case, I read standard notation proficiently for a number of instruments, but I still find tablature useful when changing to an instrument that I haven't picked up in a long time, or when learning a new instrument. So, if you are interested in tablature, this is a great program...

Tablature Karaoke is a program that plays MIDI files while displaying the music as tablature. It's like karaoke for instrument players, but instead of displaying lyrics, it displays tablature for a number of available instruments. The program includes tablature displays for both diatonic and chromatic harmonica, tinwhistle, recorder, several 'standard' ocarinas, guitar, mandolin, banjo, ukulele, and dulcimer. The user may also define and add any other tablature desired provided that you have some basic graphics skills.

Basically, the user selects a MIDI track and tablature is generated for that track in real time, in a smoothly scrolling display. The tablature for the complete track can also be printed out. One feature that sets this program aside is that beat marks are displayed along with the tablature, giving one some sense of timing and rhythm.

Other notable features, in my opinion, include: playing along with a backing track; speed can be varied for practicing; music can be transposed; and the program will find the easiest transposition to play for a given instrument. There are a number of other features that many may find potentially useful, and I would recommend that all take a look at this program at:

http://www.sharewaredirect.co.uk/

This is a shareware program, but it can be used free for small MIDI files (or free for 16 days trial with larger files). Registration for permanent use with larger files can be accomplished for a modest sum. The program is quite innovative and unique so far as I know, and I pass this information to you for your potential pleasure.

Don