Irish Tune Structure...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrGiggles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DrGiggles »

From what I've seen, most Irish tunes are written in a two-section format. How are these normally played? When I was a music major many years ago, we'd usually play music like this AABBABA or just AABBA. It seems Irish music goes on repeating AABBAABB... until they die (just kidding).

Is there a standard for Irish music in regards to this?

Thanks,
Frank
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The typical order is AABB AABB ad infinitum. There are plenty of exceptions, however. Some tunes, whether jigs or reels, are done AB AB, some are AAB AAB or AABC for a 3-part tune. Multiple part tunes, like the reel, Bucks of Oranmore, go AABBCCDD, or however many parts there are before you go back to the beginning. Some, like the set dance, King of the Fairies, have different conventions with different players. I learned it AABCC from a Dubliners recording, some people play AABC AABC. The most common convention for most tunes is AABB AABB...When you see the dance steps, you see that there has to be a certain number of beats to the whole thing before the players and the dancers simultaneously return to the beginning. I guess it's not necessary if no one is dancing.
Tony

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2001-08-15 18:07 ]</font>
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Right. I also notice, especially with more "traditional" bands, that it's normal for a tune to begin with a solo instrument playing through the A section, adding a second on B (or on the repeat), and so on until the whole crew is in. Makes for a dramatic, building sound when done right.

Tom
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Most traditional setting also combine the tune into a set. Usually 3 tunes that each repeated 3 times.

Also often when you have the pattern AAB you will find that there are as many measures in one B part as in the 2 A parts. Usually each part (A or B) is 8 measures long that is made up of 2 simular but not identical 4 measure phrases.

Another characteristic structure in most irish tunes is a mode change. You can look for the change and use it to further structure and identify the tune. For example a tune in D major that contains a single C natural mixed in with some C#'s that normal occur in D major.

As Tom mentioned often the first time through the lead melody instrument plays it solo and the rest join in the second time through. This occurs naturally in sessions, where often other musicians have never heard the tune before. They use the first AABB to learn the tune so they can join in the second and third time around.

A final set of characteristic to listen for are the rests. Often, especially with harmony and rhythm accompanyment, instruments will rest for one or more beats, measures, or phrases, while the other instruments continue. This adds depth and texture. Rests can can also be a naturally occuring session outcome when a musician finds part of the melody that is not suited for his/her instrument. The un-suited instrument in resting, lets another instrument sound more dominant in playing that part the melody.

Hopefully hearing all the things will let you further ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2001-08-16 15:20 ]</font>
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

While we're on the subject. I have heard it said, by me as well as others, that most of the texture in "traditional" celtic music comes from the different instruments coming and going, as well as all of them doing ornamentations. Actual harmony (guitar, piano, etc) is fairly uncommon and/or non traditional.

Any thoughts on this?

Still learnin'--
Tom

ps. Remember, using the word "traditional" isn't a value judgement...Nontraditional music can be pretty cool. (:
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The 'traditional' aspect of Irish music is constantly evolving and incorporating new ideas. The coming in and out of the tune by different instruments, as is popular on recordings, was a controversial innovation of the Chieftains, from what I read. It worked and has become popular, so now it's "traditional?"

Harmony was never a part of the tradition, but people are trying it and some people are pretty darn good at it. I imagine it will, if it hasn't already, become traditional in due time. I wonder what will be next. I commented earlier about bouzoukis (Greek) and banjos (African/American) working their way into the tradition.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”