Board Whistle Benefactor Strikes Again - O'Riordans

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Alright, so I swore I was satiated. Whistle benefactor has bestowed upon me that which had been missing from my collection - elusive and increasingly rare O'Riordans! These are spectacular; bless you Terry! A low G and a Low D, both of black anodized aluminum with what appear to be nickel fittings and delrin fipples. Both are tuneable, the G is two-piece and the D is three-piece, allowing for adjustment for comfort for the R3 finger.

They immediately appealed to me because they are really quite different from any other whistles I've played. A uniquely beautiful appearance with outstanding fit and finish. The slide on the G is so well-fitted, it feels hydraulic (and without the Silkstone type o-rings). These appealed to me just for the aesthetics and collectibility.

However, big bonus; they play and sound great (ok, as great as they can sound with me playing them). Surprising results in the family-rated play-off against Copeland Low G and D, my former favorites in both keys. Wife and daughter voted tie with entirely different tonal qualities in G; definite edge to O-Riordan D, fuller sound. I was kind of stunned, until I recalled that Terry tends to understate attributes of the whistles he kindly places in my home and hands.

G is right on tuning, easy playing in transition through two octaves. Upper register is strong, melifluous, can vary volume and retain tonal quality, moderate air, solid lower octave as well. Bell note is good, not great.

D is full-bodied throughout, moderate air, the best low end and bell note of any low D whistle I've tried (Overton, Copeland, Kerry, etc.). One of the best balanced whistles I've ever played in any key, considering the usual trade-off required in getting either a strong low or high end. The octave transition is subtle and does not require much air change, meaning you have to get used to not overblowing the high octave.

I'm lightyears used to these after only one and a half days.

I apoligize for running on, but as you can see, these whistles have just made me very happy; it is a delight to look at and to play these whistles.

Goodnight. Philo
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Oh, my...I have a high and low D ordered from Mr. O'Riordan...Only a year and a half to wait...
Philo...You are envied.
Cheers.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Y'know, I would love to put myself on the O'Riordan list of infinite waiting. However, I think I've convinced myself that I will never know the joy of owning one. (I waited 5 years on an instrument in High School/College, I am not going through that again.)

So, what would be the closest "second" to an O'Riordan?

I thought Dale mentioned in one of his reviews that the Burke Composite was similar in tone to the O'Riordan. Can anyone elaborate? Any other comments?

Thanks,
Frank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrGiggles on 2002-08-01 01:14 ]</font>
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

On 2002-08-01 01:13, DrGiggles wrote:
Y'know, I would love to put myself on the O'Riordan list of infinite waiting. However, I think I've convinced myself that I will never know the joy of owning one. (I waited 5 years on an instrument in High School/College, I am not going through that again.)
Errr... what's there to lose by putting yourself on the list? He doesn't request payment in advance, does he? If you don't expect anything, maybe you'll get a happy surprise one day.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Byll - Remember, you've got all that wonderful anticipatory joy to look forward to. If we ever get one of those C&F meets off the ground (hopefully in the NE corridor), I promise I'll bring them for you to play (although you'll probably have yours by then). Take care. Philo
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

colomon's right - there's nothing to lose. Cash shouldn't be a factor when there's love for music.

Two years or so is not *that* long - consider that miracles _might_ happen and O'Riordans get produced very, very fast...
(oooo...)

If I was able to put myself on the waiting list, I would do so, and get it off my mind and play something else.
KT.