Best way to start learning music theory?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hey guys -

Is there such a thing as a Music Theory for Dummies book? I found a cool page on theory ( http://www.cis.rit.edu/~jerry/Audio/theory/theory.html ) and would like to learn more. Are there any exceptional texts out there for the music student who can locate notes on a piano scale or a staff, but that's about it?
DrGiggles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DrGiggles »

A big question comes to mind... Why do you want to learn music theory?

I have my Master's degree in music, and I remember spending long tedious hours studying Bach chorales in the first year of Music Theory.

If you just want to learn chords, chord progressions, styles, modes and such. The best way I can think of getting a good hands-on understand would be to learn to play the piano. Preferrably with a good piano instructor - a big plus if they play jazz.

If you just want to learn the bare-bones boring theory, I'd recommend checking out your local college bookstore. Many of the 1st year theory books nowadays come with a CD-Rom tutorial. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of any particular book at the moment to recommend, especially since the theory book I personally refer to is almost 10 years old.

Good Luck, and happy tooting.
-Frank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrGiggles on 2002-07-30 14:52 ]</font>
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I can't suggest any books, but let me ask you: Why do you want to learn music theory? Just for the general enlightenment, or do you have a specific purpose or starting point? It's a huge field, between modes, harmonics, fugues, and twelve-ton music...

EDIT: DrGiggles go there first :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2002-07-30 14:59 ]</font>
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2002-07-30 14:50, DrGiggles wrote:

If you just want to learn chords, chord progressions, styles, modes and such. The best way I can think of getting a good hands-on understand would be to learn to play the piano.
I agree that a piano or some sort of keyboard is a big help. It lets you see relationships that are not apparant on other instruments. If you are primarily interested in this from the standpoint of folk or Irish music you can find some articles on modal harmony online. Here's one:
http://www.standingstones.com/theorcnr.html

Here's another:
http://www.celticmusic.com/magazine/tunes/modes/

You might get something out of one of Chris Smith's articles. Try the one on modes.
http://geocities.com/coyotebanjo/instruction/

Steve
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Why? Well...why not? (I am like this. This is the Interesting Hobby of the Month, apparently. If I still have interest in it in September, it makes the "keep" list. Sometime when you have a few hours I'll give you a list of my wide variety of Interesting Hobbies that never made the cut.)

And I tried to learn piano when I was younger. Also tried guitar. But I can never do two different notes at once, or two different actions with my hands. This is why whistle has been so much more successful!

And I am not so much interested in names and places. I don't know enough about it to even say what *does* interest me about it, though. You can blame Tom. :lol: He said something about 'fifths' in Salt Lake and it's been buzzing around my head.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

avanutria=young girl w/ much time on hands

:wink:
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

avanutria = young engineer with too much random access memory
Karina

Post by Karina »

My violin teacher required theory as a part of my lessons (she has a doctorate in composition-ugh) and had me get John Brimhall's Theory Notebook. Although I have never seen or used any other book or method, this book seemed sufficient for me. It is a fairly basic workbook that teaches probably every thing you would want to know (why on earth someone would actually care that a 64th note is called a hemidemi semiquaver, I will never know...). I got it about 5 years ago, so I don't know if it is still around. But I also have to agree with the others that a piano or keyboard helps quite a bit, at least when it comes to visualizing the chords, etc.
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

On 2002-07-30 15:46, Karina wrote:
(why on earth someone would actually care that a 64th note is called a hemidemi semiquaver, I will never know...).
Actually, if you play in a traditional British orchestra, they may use the term hemi-demi-semi quaver. And a 128th note is a Semi-hemi-demi-semi quaver. And if you ever go beyond a 128th note, then the composer is showing off, but it would be a Demi-semi-hemi-demi-semi quaver.

In German, a 64th note would be called a Vierundsechziggstel note. If you play in France, it would be called an Octuple croche. And in italian it would be called a Semi biscrona.

This can actually be important if you play in an orchestra that has guest conductors from other countries.

See what you're getting into?? And this is just over one note!

Merry Pippins,
Frank
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

On 2002-07-30 16:10, DrGiggles wrote:
And if you ever go beyond a 128th note, then the composer is showing off, but it would be a Demi-semi-hemi-demi-semi quaver.
Okay, now I KNOW I want to learn this stuff. Anyone here ever read Fox in Socks? :lol:
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Avanutria, don't let them rain on your parade. YOU'RE INTERESTED, and that's all that matters; the above replies to you aren't helpful to someone with a curious mind.

If you don't have time to audit a college course, try browsing Amazon and seeing what's there, or finding a local high school music teacher and seeing if there is a tutor who is just as enthusiastic a teacher as you are a pupil.

And a suggestion. . .for anyone who has the gall to say "Why would you want to know that?" you might fire back, "Why does that matter to you?"
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
clarinetwhistler
Tell us something.: Been quite a few years since I've been to the forums. Looking forward to spending a little more time in the community.

Post by clarinetwhistler »

Right on, Tyghress.

Beth, I'll ask Barb tonight. She can probably recommend some books to get you going. We may even have a couple you'd be welcome to borrow. :smile:
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

The question of why do you want to learn music theory is in no way a discouagement to do so. Please don't think of it as such. Any willingness to learn is always a synergistic advancement to the whole.

However...

Why you want to learn music theory is a perfectly valid question.

Are you learning it to improve your whistle playing? If so, you'll want to learn ear-training and interval recognition as well as theories in synchopation and some Music History.

Are you learning it to be a better improvisional player? Then you'll want to study Harmony Theory, Progression Theory and Basic Composition.

Are you learning it to be a composer? Then you'll want to study all of the above, plus Theories in Conducting, Advanced Meter theory and Extended studies in Chordal Progression.

In NO WAY was I trying to discourage the learning of music theory. However, giving someone a yellow-brand "Music Theory" book isn't always the best solution - even at an introductory level.

Sincerely,
Frank
John-N

Post by John-N »

I would recommend keeping things simple at first and stick to learning more about: scales, modes, and intervals. Those are the foundational basics anyway and are directly relevant to your whistle playing.

As far as resources, here's something for free:

http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm

I haven't really looked through it though.

You might also do a http://www.google.com search for "scales modes intervals music" and see what you get.

-John
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I agree, DrGiggles. (Sorry Tygh :smile: )

aventuria, if you don't know what a fifth is and why it matters to a whistler, you should look at different stuff than you would want to look at in order to analyse a Bach fugue.

I think in your place I'd surf the web a bit until you get the basics (like names for intervals, scales, chords), and then see what else you are interested in.
/Bloomfield