It Had to Happen: Acquiring a Copeland

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FairEmma
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by FairEmma »

Has everyone been Copeland-ed to death? I hope not, 'cause I need to crow!

There I was on my most recent trip to England, walking in the Charing Cross area looking in all the music shops. I wandered down Oxford Street, onto Rathbone and low and behold ... there was Hobgoblin Music.

"Hey!" I said out loud. "I know this place from the web!" Wild horses could not have prevented my entering.

Clearly, the lads at Hobgoblin (bless their clever hearts) had me figured out, because no sooner had I crouched to peruse the woodwind display than one reached in and handed me an "orphaned" nickle Copeland, high D (do whistle-players have visually-distinguishing characteristics?).

"You don't mind if I play this?" My eyebrows went up in awe - I've never even seen a Copeland in the flesh (as it were).

"Please!"

I spent the next half-hour walking around the store playing this incredibly sublime instrument, sliding effortlessly from note to note, octave to octave. I didn't want to put it down. I didn't care who heard me (normally I'm dreadfully shy about playing solo anything for anyone). Such a gorgeous, clear, to-die-for sound. Dabbed at the occasional tear. Played some more. Finally I returned to the counter.

"How much?"

I was quoted a price in stirling that translated to no more than one would pay for the thing new here. But still, steep. Very steep. I'd promised myself I wouldn't get another whistle after my Boudreau's for a long while. Oh so reluctantly, I handed the whistle back with profuse thanks for the treat of being allowed to play it. I left the shop.

All that night, the only thing I could hear in my head was the sound of that whistle. The tactile memory was tantalising. Imagine the war going on between my Jiminy Cricket and me: You can't afford that! But have you ever heard anything else like it? Your salary was just slashed, you idiot! But it's a Copeland - it feels like an extension of my mind. Aren't you the one who goes on about the cache of low-end whistles! Yeah, but ... the sound ... it's so easy to play ... it is different to my other whistles!

Over and over. I let the days pass.

Minutes before I was due to undertake my journey back to the US, I placed a call to Hobgoblin, hoping the whistle had since been sold, hoping it was still for sale.

"Just barely," came the reply. "Ten minutes ago, it almost left the store."

"But you still have it?"

"Yes."

"And it's still for sale?"

"Yes."

I couldn't help myself. I took the plunge. The tube arrived in the post yesterday. I am speechless.

Yes, I still like the plebby appeal of my crushable Walton Little Black, I adore my wooden Boudreau's, my Dixon's religiously travel in my handbag or get stuck in my car's visor.

But now I own a Copeland and suddenly the world is a different place.

FE
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure the Copeland will bring you many years of joy. It's so hard to validate the expense, but if you brings you joy - then it's worth the price.

I actually had to go through a similar experience about 10 years ago. I decided to buy a $10,000 Powell flute. It plays like a dream, and it's my favorite instrument in the whole world (sorry Tony, yours is still my favorite whistle!); but, I'M AFRAID TO TAKE THE BLOODY THING OUT! When I was working as a musician, I would take it to studio and indoor work, but it stayed at home if there was a chance I'd be playing outdoors.

I don't know if this really applies to whistles, but I know the joy of recognizing and acquiring a masterpiece when you can. And I wish you luck on your new metallic friend. :smile:

Best thing about a Generation Whistle? You can eat and play without ruining the whistle! :smile:

Cheers!
Frank
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

I just wanted to thank you for that mesmerising (sic) message. It was like reading a short story. Humorous (sic), pithy, and with a very happy ending! Some artistic lisence (sic - I think) on the part of the salesman though. What a clever way to say something has not been sold - enticing and inviting all in one. I must try it!

Take Care

Steve
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

No doubt P T Barnum was correct, and I account for one of those minutes! All the same, right now I am one happy sucker! :smile:

Best of luck, Steve, with the new sales strategy.

cheers
FE
jimr

Post by jimr »

Just thought you wanted to know a little about the history of your whistle.

During our trip to England in May, I stopped in at Hobgoblin, great music store and people I might add. It was my personal whistle which I traded in for some Tibitan (sp?) singing bowls. I had run out of cash and needed to part with it.

Of course I still have another :wink:

Glad it has a good home!

Jim Rementer
Copeland Woodwinds
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

Dear Jim,

That is wonderful!! Thank you so much for telling me the story behind my whistle. It sits here even as I type ... and I'm not getting much writing done at all, 'cause I have to play it every ten minutes or so!

Now I know the source of the subtle markings where former fingers rested. As if the instrument weren't special enough already!

I must confess, the lads at Hobgoblin had a good laugh at my expense: someone living in America coming to London and buying an American whistle made only 45 minutes from where she lived!

I'm glad you needed the cash and I promise - 2266 is no longer orphaned and has an insanely loving home. :smile:

FE
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

That was just way too cool.
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

FairEmma,

I certainly understand how you feel about your new Copeland High D: My wife and daughter gave me a brass one for Father's Day, and I have the same trouble putting it down that you do yours.

My other whistle, another high D, is an Overton, and there is a fair bit of difference between the two. The Overton requires much higher breath pressure, especially in the higher notes where it tends to be screechy, has an edge to its tone, is louder, and is harder to slur to very high notes. I still like and play it, mind you, and it is particularly suited to quick, lively, jigs and reels, or when playing in public accompanied by fiddles, guitars, etc., but the Copeland is what I reach for when I want superb tone and expression -- for slow airs, laments, and the like.
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
U2

Post by U2 »

JIMR,
Please sir, let's have you stop all this posting and story telling until you've completed my nickel D. But seriously, that was a pretty cool example of just how small a world this is.