Cillian O'Briain whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I just received a Cillian O'Briain "Improved" whistle in high D. It has a red Generation fipple, tweaked by filling the cavity with some type of clay or something, and grinding the blade. When I started playing it yesterday, it squeaked so much it drove me nuts. By today, I can play it with much less squeaking, but I haven't eliminated it all together. It takes a very delicate breath pressure with no margin for error. Namely, if you blow slightly too hard, it squeaks. It takes an act of will for me to not squeak it. It has the classic Generation-type sound, but with very little chiff. It's louder than my feadog, but it's a quiet whistle, overall. This one has a brass tube. I posted a tune with it. It was a struggle to play this jig, Hole in the Hedge, focusing on the right pressure for high and low notes. Anyway, I think it gives an idea of the sound. Click the Clips/Snips link below.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I just got my Cillian O'Briain high D about a week ago. While I noticed the same little-margin-for-error playability, I found that the tweaking left the whistle with a well-balanced sound between the first and second octaves. If I can learn to play with good breath control, I think the balanced tone will be worth it. The only inexpensive high whistle I have that compares with this one is my Clarke original, but that one requires too much air for me right now.

Dave
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I played the whistle a lot after I posted. It keeps getting better in terms of my breath control. I played a couple of slow airs and was very impressed with the tone. I know that a whistle sounds different whether it's in your mouth or someone else is playing it. My choice is for a whistle that sounds good in my mouth. This one really does. It's just that you want to blast it a bit when you get going, and it won't let you. (I also smoothed out a bit on Hole in the Hedge after I uploaded it, so I'll redo it when I can get a turn at the computer.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Bevoi

Post by Bevoi »

Heya,

I actually got to visit Cillian at his shop in Dingle, and try out a few of his little D's. Nice, sweet, but not really worth the 15pound price tag, in my mind anyway. He said the little clear blade fortification is made from a CD jewel case (well, that's one thing to do with'em). I'm more impressed with his low range, although I still prefer Overtons or Chieftains. Though control is second to none, it just seems like something is missing from the tone.

Whatever
merlinthedog

Post by merlinthedog »

I find this whistle requires very little breath compared to others. Once you get used to it it plays very fast. I do find it harder to slide than with others but otherwise a fine whistle.