Alba Q1 Soprano D: Any Comments?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheWhistlinGypsy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Alba Q1 Soprano D: Any Comments?

Post by TheWhistlinGypsy »

Now then whistlin' folk,

To help me in the purchase of a new high D whistle I was wondering whether anybody out there had anything to say about the Alba Q1.
I have heard that it is particularly playable and quite traditional in sound.
How does it compare with the more expensive whistles?

Cheers,

TheWhistlinGypsy
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I have a Q1. I believe Q1s are often favored for their simplicity of design (one of my favorite features.) But it is not what I'd call a lithe whistle compared to my Burke or Sindt, from a playability standpoint. It has a windier, rougher (not "clear,") sound, and requires a little more focus in the upper registers than the other two whistles I mentioned. These factors give it the character that is beloved by Alba afficionados.
I have an Alba Bb as well, and I would generally summarize them this way:

If I'm feeling crappy and unfocused, and want to whistle while in that mental mode, I'm going to have more success on a easy-blower such as my Burke NB composite.(Mind you, I'll be playing crappily, but at least I'll be hitting notes.) Albas require more concentration, and will mock you if you aren't paying attention to breath control, and focused blowing. They reward attentiveness, and playing at the top of your game.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The Q1 is a whistle that plays moderately softly, has a nicely focused sound with just a bit of a raspy edge, has moderate backpressure and pretty strong resisistance, and can take very aggressive play.

As emmline noted, this is not a "pure-toned" whistle, and is not in the same "family" of whistles as the Burkes or Hoovers.

It's a great little whistle for laying down a dance tune!

Here are some tunes on my Alba Q1:

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/glassbeer.mp3

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/paddy_ ... ys_fav.mp3

http://www.flutesite.com/comparison/swingate_alba.mp3

On this page, you can compare the Alba against the other whistles I own:

http://www.flutesite.com/comparison_recordings.htm

I hope this helps!

Subjectively, the Q1 is a fine little whistle, great for home play or for small sessions. It doesn't quite have the volume for a big session. Even though it's not tunable, mine is precisely in tune at A=440.

One other peculiarity is that ( o x x | o o o ) is somewhat flat for C-natural on this whistle but will let you "punch" the note nicely. For a sustained C-natural on the Q1 I use ( o x o | o o o ) as it is nicely in tune and a very clear note.

--James

Disclaimer: this post is not intended for, nor to catch the attention of, the Irish Illuminati Protectorate. If it should so happen that this post does catch the attention of the IIP and they happen to post a response, I disavow all responsibility for whatever they may post.
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

what james said. :D search for Q1 in the archives, you'll find comments from me and numerous others on this fine whistle thang.
there is no end to the walking
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

My Q1 is my expensive whistle. I love it. Real nice for playing here in the condo with people in back and above. It does require that you play it. Two of my favorite quiet whistles are the Q1 and a Mack Hoover Whitecap/Oak. Very different playing characteristics. The Whitecap/Oak requires concentration at the low end. The Q1 requires care at the high end. I usually reach for one of these two when I feel like playing. Sometimes I prefer my Gen Eb or C.

It is all personal preference which can change from day to day.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
koktach

Post by koktach »

What about the Q1 low d? Anyone tried it, at 90 pounds for a handcrafted low D it seems like a bargain. What is the sound like?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

RonKiley wrote:It does require that you play it.
:)

This says so much, so well, in so few words.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I can't really add much to the descriptions except that it is a sleek, beautiful design, especially pretty with the optional knotwork (you have to ask for that) and the fipple plugs are unusual visually as well. I love the sound of it, and the fact that I have to focus to play it is a benefit, not a detriment. It has personality, and I am not likely to ever part with it.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

koktach wrote:What about the Q1 low d? Anyone tried it, at 90 pounds for a handcrafted low D it seems like a bargain. What is the sound like?
I am not aware of a Q1 design low D. I can say that the Alba low (tenor) D is an exceptional value. It is beautifully made and has character; a warm complex tone and very well balanced. I also find it quite easy to play with the hole size and spacing and has ample volume for sessions.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have not played the Q1 low D but I have played a Q1 low C. It was wonderful and it was easier to play than most low Ds I have tried.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I've been eying up a Q1 as my first expensive whistle for a while. Think I'll try and get someone to buy me it for my birthday later in the year, maybe by that time I'll have practiced enough to do it some level of justice (really need to put down the guitar and pick up the whistle a bit more).

It just looks so nice and it's Scottish so I feel like I'm buying (relatively) local.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I am a numpty and I don't have a single Alba.
:(
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit