MTGuru O-Ring Susato Tweak

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: MTGuru O-Ring Susato Tweak

Post by ubizmo »

I think I'll try this on my Susato wide-bore soprano recorder. I'm not sure which whistle series the head is equivalent to, but I'll just bring it to the store. I'd play the thing more if it weren't so harsh in the 2nd octave. If this tames it, it'll be a very sweet instrument, since I love its sound in the first octave.

Ubizmo
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

ubizmo wrote:I think I'll try this on my Susato wide-bore soprano recorder.
Sure, give it a try. It works on mine. A #15 ring (3/4-inch inside diameter) fits nicely.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I'll try this ASAP. Anything to lessen the recorder-like inflection they sometimes get... They're great whistles in terms of pitch and playability, but the question from passerby "Is that a recorder?" gets really, really old.
killthemessenger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by killthemessenger »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:I'll try this ASAP. Anything to lessen the recorder-like inflection they sometimes get... They're great whistles in terms of pitch and playability, but the question from passerby "Is that a recorder?" gets really, really old.
I feel your pain. It must be embarrassing to have to admit it's only a whistle.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

@killthemessenger: good one- gave me a chuckle.

I tried this and the difference isn't very noticeable on the C and B bodies, but on the D and Eb there is a noticeable sweetening of the upper octave, or rather, I was far less reluctant to kick up as it usually gets painful above the second G. It seems to accentuate the effect of good embouchure, that is, blowing a "thinner" stream of air on high notes á la Grey Larson's teachings. You're going to feel the effects of this tweak rather than hear them at first.

Good on ya for discovering it!
maki

Post by maki »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:I'll try this ASAP. Anything to lessen the recorder-like inflection they sometimes get... They're great whistles in terms of pitch and playability, but the question from passerby "Is that a recorder?" gets really, really old.
I tell folks that the whistle is the recorders rustic country cousin.
killthemessenger

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:I tell folks that the whistle is the recorder's rustic country cousin.
That's a nice way of looking at it. If only the country and the salon could learn to love each other!

I went out and got an assortment of o-rings yesterday to try this out. I found putting one where MTGuru says, and another just above the windway outlet - not covering the cut - had the effect of cutting out a lot of the higher partials on my Rose whistle, producing a much more "flauto dolce" sound in the second octave. It also quietened it down quite a bit, making it a perfect practice whistle. Very interesting.

It didn't seem to have much effect on any of the others though.
The torture never stops.
maki

Post by maki »

killthemessenger wrote:
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:I tell folks that the whistle is the recorder's rustic country cousin.
That's a nice way of looking at it. If only the country and the salon could learn to love each other!
Mine get along quite well, and I've never understood the antipathy of some.
I consider myself a country rustic, even after living in L.A. for the last couple of decades.
It could be that I'm too simple to care about anything but trying to make good music.

BTW, I've got a decent Mollenhauer Student C soprano, though it gets almost no use anymore, my ocarinas have become dust collectors too.
killthemessenger

maki wrote:Mine get along quite well, and I've never understood the antipathy of some.
I suspect that in a very class-based society like the UK, there's a lot of resentment and snobbery on both sides which carries over into all areas of the culture. Although, frankly, I've never known recorder players - to take this example - to declare any hostility towards whistles and their music, only the other other way round.
The torture never stops.
maki

Post by maki »

killthemessenger wrote:
maki wrote:Mine get along quite well, and I've never understood the antipathy of some.
I suspect that in a very class-based society like the UK, there's a lot of resentment and snobbery on both sides which carries over into all areas of the culture. Although, frankly, I've never known recorder players - to take this example - to declare any hostility towards whistles and their music, only the other other way round.
That explains quite a bit.
Thanks.
socar52

Post by socar52 »

This is an interesting thread. Looks like I'll be going to Lowes for some O-rings to try it on my whistles & 2 recorders. Thanks.
MadmanWithaWhistle

Here in the United States, the recorder is the quintessential elementary school get-to-know-music instrument. Everyone has at some point had to deal with "recorder week" at their younger siblings school, usually with earplugs. And so when I am asked, "is that a recorder?" they are thinking not of the rich baroque history of the wooden recorder, but of 30 poorly-groomed 6 year olds attempting to play "hot cross buns" on a plastic hell-pipe.

That said, I wouldn't mind the question from a historical woodwind aficionado, or perhaps someone older, but in college I think the scarring from the aforementioned experience is still too fresh in the mind for many.
socar52

Post by socar52 »

I don't think it's fair to be so down on recorders the way you all always are. Be positive. The good thing about recorders is that the plastic ones are recycleable and the wooden ones are biodegradable and can go in the yard trash. What's not to like about that?
hove64
Tell us something.: i love tin whistle. l love Irish music.
i have few flutes. i play a lot by ear.
100 is too much to write.
i am getting myself bored.

Post by hove64 »

[Thread revival. - Mod]
MTGuru wrote:Several people have asked about this mysterious procedure to improve the sound and playability of Susato whistles. So here it is:

Take a #12 plumbing O-ring, slip it over the head joint of your Susato S-bore whistle, and push it snug up against the wide part of the head just behind the fipple blade. Voilà. This creates a rounded air dam that seems to have the following effects:

o Increases back pressure and reduces air requirements.

o Reduces scratchiness in the upper range of the whistle, and improves overall responsiveness.

o Reduces overall volume slightly without altering pitch or tuning.

And lacking an O-ring, a rubber band or a ponytail band (wrapped several times around), or even a rolled bit of Blu Tack can be substituted to experiment with the effect.

I'm interested in feedback from anyone who tries it. Enjoy!
Definitely works well, (with a rubber band) just as described, on my susatos, and on my D Adler Heinrich.
Bless you!