Planxty Dale Wisely

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dorffly1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dorffly1 »

I recall in the last message board the tune Planxty Dale Wisely. I remember part of it but not the entire tune. Can someone tell me where I can find the tune or even the sheet music? It is an absolutly wonderful tune that is on my list of must learn tunes.

Thank you,
Tom
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Click on the Clips and Snips link at the bottom of this post and scroll down to 7/3/01. Also at 7/1/01. There, you have it. Check out the other stuff, as well. It's C&F members sharing our tunes. (You can too.)
Tony

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2001-08-12 00:17 ]</font>
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

You can also find it in various forms on my webpage
http://www.mypage.onemain.com/davedlb/index.htm

or at Mick Woodruff's website
http://fingertrip.net/whistle/index.html

or Greg Mahan's
http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/songname.asp?sort=P

Glad you like the tune. Thanks for you kind words :smile:

David de la Barre
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Nice song!

Question, tho: Why do planxty songs have names like "planxty guys-name", ie, "planxty dale wisely", or "planxty irwin"? I have never seen something like "The County Down planxty" (yet).
Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StewySmoot on 2001-08-12 16:10 ]</font>
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

A planxty is a tune written as a tribute, usually to a patron. I felt it appropriate to call this tune a "planxty" because of the benefit we all get from Dale's efforts with Chiff & Fipple.

Dale emailed this message today:
David,

I don't know how much I've told you how much I love Planxty Dale Wisely. What an honor. Thanks again.

I'm hoping it'll show up on somebody's CD someday.

Dale
Dale, the greatest satisfaction in having written this tune has to be knowing that you like it. Of course I am also enormously pleased that it has been met with a good deal of enthusiasm by the messageboard community. Although I penned this tune I think that the sentiment of appreciation for your efforts is shared by a good many people here. I wish that there was some way I could have sort have passed it around like a card to be signed by the community and then given as a gift from us all.

All the best,
David

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feadan on 2001-08-12 17:07 ]</font>
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

I was told the word itself meant "in honour of."

FE
Dorffly1

Post by Dorffly1 »

David...I played Planxty Dale Wisely as well as I oriningally rememberd it for the session group I play with monthly in Lynchburg Va about 3 months ago. At the end of each session since them I'm always asked to play it by the other musicians. It is a wildly infectious tune of elegant simplicity. I'm so excited to finally have the sheet music to share with the other players. I'm in the process of recording a vanity CD for a Christmas present for friends and family...(not for sale) and I'd like the permission to record Planxty Dale Wisely to include it on the recording. I can be reached by Email at Dorffly1@aol.com...Thank you for the fantastic tune.