No whistle Youtube thread? Well then!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Re: No whistle Youtube thread? Well then!

Post by AuLoS303 »

I would post a clip of mine that I'm pleased with but its not Irish music
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Are we only supposed to post Irish music here?
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Since it's 'The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.' (no mention of 'Irish' in this particular description), I'd say no. But some people have funny ideas...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

My response to Irish? Scottish? Let's just call it "Scirish" (not my title!), where I tackle 'the overbearing 'Irishness' of C&F'.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Chifmunk wrote:Are we only supposed to post Irish music here?
Not at all, not at all. But this site started out around the crest of the Riverdance craze, and it continues to be an outlet for those with such interests. Whistle music includes Kwela and Skiffle, among others. If Kwela doesn't get a lot of press here, that's just a site popularity thing. We have no rules against it. On the C&F Whistle Forum, it's about the whistle.

As to the Irish/Scottish dichotomy, there is and always has been a great deal of mutual crossover when it comes to the tunes themselves. That said, IMO it behooves the Trad enthusiast to eventually realize that only the casual, uninformed observer sees Scottish and Irish trad playing as non-different. They are closely related, but they are not the same. When it comes to referring to both at the same time, I think the more inclusive term "Gaelic Musics" would be helpful (if not entirely accepted). After all, when you say "Trad", what does it really mean? Québecois? Breton? Galician?

If Scottish trad enthusiasts want to represent, then do it by all means. Might even freshen things up a bit. I'd find it informative, personally. I'd done the Irish thing for years - with fierce intent, I think, if not fierce ability - but when I finally found myself in a Scottish band, I found that in the trenches I was out of my depth in a lot of ways, which is to say in how a given tune is expressed. Had to learn another language, almost.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Ok so maybe I should have asked if its ok if the music isnt traditional.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

AuLoS303 wrote:Ok so maybe I should have asked if its ok if the music isnt traditional.
For sure it's okay. Have fun, sure, but striving for excellence has always been the main thing here, really. Whether your audience is interested in a rendering of Stairway to Heaven is another matter.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Well I was thinking more along the lines of Never on a Sunday
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, can't ever tell if you're joking or not. :wink:

But I'll be straight with you: Get your scales and such down. Then give us Petula Clark.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Nanohedron wrote:Ah, can't ever tell if you're joking or not. :wink:

But I'll be straight with you: Get your scales and such down. Then give us Petula Clark.
I actally played this on recorder last night, quite a fun tune. It is doable on whistle but its a stretch
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Why a stretch? It's a simple diatonic tune with (in G) a low D to high A range... perfectly whistle-friendly if you want to do it!

Master of nine?
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Peter Duggan wrote:Why a stretch? It's a simple diatonic tune with (in G) a low D to high A range... perfectly whistle-friendly if you want to do it!
Because I'm a beginner
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah. Now we are on the path. :)
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Though I enjoy some of the wonderful videos posted here, to be honest my own videos will likely never be posted. That's totally my own issue though- I'll be the first to admit my personal music goals are not about excellence or being critiqued by better players, rather they're about simply sharing my joy and enthusiasm in playing home made music by myself or with friends. My excellence level is much less of a priority for me- the whole "journey over destination" thing. Maybe there should be a place for lame beginners? (please don't suggest Hell...lol just kidding)
Uh-oh, should I feel shame for my low personal standards?- :o I'll go ponder on that...lol... Hey it's ok- l'll still enjoy reading others' posts here though.. lots of good tips and resources to be had on this terrific site! :)
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
tompipes

Post by tompipes »