to paint PVC, is possible?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AlonE
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

to paint PVC, is possible?

Post by AlonE »

Hello! it asked to me if there is some special painting for PVC, I have constructed low-Tech and serious brilliant to paint it of an pleasant color but.

thank you very much!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

PVC does not take paint well. It takes a lot of primer - a LOT of primer - and the resulting paint-job is easily worn away by abrasion - such as when whistlers use their fingers. In my opinion it is not worth the trouble.
Mr Doug Tipple has the idea of using "sticky-backed-plastic" (Fablon, or other similar materials) to make a plastic pipe look like a wooden one.

This sounds like an excellent idea to me, although I haven't tried it so far.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I've had some relative success painting my PVC whistles, but only because I found a product to prepare the plastic.
3M makes an adhesion prep spray for painting plastic and vinyl. When used before a primer it usually works well for me.

EDIT:
DuPont also makes one, but I have yet to try it out, so I can't vouch for it's usability on PVC (though, because of it's intended purpose, I wouldn't be surprised if it works better than the 3M interior prep)
I've used it on cars, but not on whistles.
The adhesion promoter is one made for painting the plastic parts in the automotive industry that are inherently difficult to paint because of their inherent tendancy to develop a static charge.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

In the PC case modification world, everyone uses something called
Vinyl Dye for coloring plastic. It soaks into the plastic itself,
instead of sitting on the surface like paint, so you don't need primer.

You can find it at many automibile part stores and websites.
(I hope that translates into Spanish correctly...)
walrii

Post by walrii »

There is a paint available here in the States specifically for painting PVC and other plastics. It is made by Krylon and is labeled "Krylon Fusion - Paint for Plastics." I've found it in hardware stores in spray cans. It requires no primer and sticks very well as long as the PVC is clean and dry. I used it on a couple of PVC-pipe whistle cases I made and they are in great shape after banging around in luggage for a year. I don't know if it is available in other countries.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

1. PVC will paint better if you break the surface film by slight sanding. Then cleaning up with acetone.

2. PVC can be dyed. Do this in a well ventilated area.
Mix Rit Clothing dye in powder form with acetone instead of water.
Use latex or other gloves that do not react with acetone.
Soak the pvc in this mixture for 5 - 10 minutes.
Take it out by handling the PVC from the inside.
Do not touch the surface until it as thoroughly dried.
After dry, wash surface dye off and color should remain in the PVC
This forms a 'skin' and can be painted over.
The nice thing is that small scratches will not be white.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:1. PVC will paint better if you break the surface film by slight sanding. Then cleaning up with acetone.

2. PVC can be dyed. Do this in a well ventilated area.
Mix Rit Clothing dye in powder form with acetone instead of water.
Use latex or other gloves that do not react with acetone.
Soak the pvc in this mixture for 5 - 10 minutes.
Take it out by handling the PVC from the inside.
Do not touch the surface until it as thoroughly dried.
After dry, wash surface dye off and color should remain in the PVC
This forms a 'skin' and can be painted over.
The nice thing is that small scratches will not be white.
You know, that gives me an idea; dyed "undercoat" (per your method above), transparent metallic coat, color transparency coat (matched to dye "undercoating"), clear topcoat...
If the paint stays firm on the pvc, the outcome should be one resembling those fancy metallic custom paint jobs on cars.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown