Tried Pipes before whistle! Unnatural progression?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Tried Pipes before whistle! Unnatural progression?

Post by flanum »

So ive been making squeals and squawks on the Uilleann pipes for the last 3 yrs(and betting a fair few classes in between) without ever having taken an instrument up before.

3 weeks ago i started going to Whistle classes in Shaylin trad school in Leitrim with the wonderful Lorraine Sweeney teaching.

I cant believe the speed i am learning new tunes at! And its such an easy instrument to be carrying around and messing with! Ya can even practice while sitting on the jacks!

Now is this completely reverse progression or what?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

bit like starting on a pipe organ and then finding out later just how hard an electric piano is, innit?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Flanum, flanum, flanum. Leave it to you to post a thread that I can't decide where it belongs. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol: append it to the bicycle thread... :twisted:
FractalSquirrel

Post by FractalSquirrel »

What is sitting on the jacks?
ned o the hill

Sitting on the jacks

Post by ned o the hill »

(¯¯[]¯¯¯¯ ((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Ned o' the Hill
Low Whistler and Goat Whacker
falkbeer

Re: Tried Pipes before whistle! Unnatural progression?

Post by falkbeer »

flanum wrote:So ive been making squeals and squawks on the Uilleann pipes for the last 3 yrs(and betting a fair few classes in between) without ever having taken an instrument up before.

3 weeks ago i started going to Whistle classes in Shaylin trad school in Leitrim with the wonderful Lorraine Sweeney teaching.

I cant believe the speed i am learning new tunes at! And its such an easy instrument to be carrying around and messing with! Ya can even practice while sitting on the jacks!

Now is this completely reverse progression or what?
I don´t think thats so "unnatural". The pipes and the tin whistle are musically rather closely related. Unnatural would have been if you had said something like: "I used to skydive before i picked up the whistle" or "My career as a country singer did´t work out so I tried the whistle instead".
walrii

Re: Sitting on the jacks

Post by walrii »

Maybe that's how they do it in PA. Down here in Texas, we use cinder blocks and keep them in the front yard.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
ned o the hill

Re: Sitting on the jacks

Post by ned o the hill »

walrii wrote:Maybe that's how they do it in PA. Down here in Texas, we use cinder blocks and keep them in the front yard.

Ya gotta have someplace to store the beer fridge....

Maybe the owner of this vehicle was a whistle player; the windows all blew out from too much second octave on a high G. :lol:

Ned o' the Hill
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

"sitting on the jacks"

on the toilet!!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
ned o the hill

Post by ned o the hill »

flanum wrote:"sitting on the jacks"=on the toilet!!
:oops:
I suspected as much, but was waiting for a much clearer translation from Oirish to 'Murrican.

Ned o' the Hill
jimharrison

Post by jimharrison »

I am with you totally, bud - have been playing UP for a while now and just graduated (about 5 years early) to a full set ... but hey ... just started picking up whistles to try and learn tunes more quickly. What key are you whistlin' in? D? Finger spacing seems much tighter than on the pipes - I reckon a whistle in A or G is closer to the comparable spread, so am thinking of going to that sort of key for practice etc. Any thoughts?
flanum

Post by flanum »

i play a d for classes, then when im at home i use the bflat, its a nice tone and fairly wide spacing. am thinking of getting a low whistle soon.