Mew here, new to whistling

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sue_w_uk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sue_w_uk »

Hi all, I'm very new to whistling, so new I haven't got my whistle yet :eek:) I have it on order and am expecting it's arrival any day. I'm told that it is an easy little instrument to learn so watch this space. If it's difficult, I'm gonna have to find someone to blame. Watch here for tears, nervous breakdowns and tantrums as I strive to make my first tune :eek:)
SUEx
sue_w_uk

Post by sue_w_uk »

OKay, that should have read 'new here' and my smilies went a bit wrong - and I'm expecting to learn to whistle!!! It's a good job I'm an optimist:)
SUEx
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Welcome Sue. Another optimist!
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

Welcome Sue,

I am curious; seeing as how you do not actually have a whistle yet, how did you come to be interested in the whistle? And on behalf of everyone, what kind of whistle are you expecting?

Blaine
Jose Ortega y Gasset
sue_w_uk

Post by sue_w_uk »

Hi Blaine, Good question :smile: The interest is the fault of my half uncle. He and my mother had different fathers, his being from County Down so he has the Irish heritage and is married to and Irish lady. They're a very musical family and my cousin is currently teaching my daughter to play the piano accordian. However, I'm not quite that brave and a tin whistle seemed a more likely choice for me.
The whistle I have ordered is a Walton in the key of D (which I'm told would be the most useful key)and my daughter is awaiting arrival of a Generation D. I was browsing the Hobgoblin site and became totally confused as to which would be a good choice so it was a sort of close your eyes and press a button type of choice. Let's just hope it was a good one :smile:
SUEx
(the eternal optimist)
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

FWIW, I took up the whistle 5 weeks ago personally for a number of reasons:

To fill the void in my life when Pro Wrestling turned into Sports Entertainment

I noticed that Celtic music players get a lot of free drinks in bars and pubs, particularly as the evening gets old

Got tired of playing guitar and/or keyboard, and wanted something a wee bit esoteric

Now that I have 2-3 Waltons, a Clarke, and a Susato Low D, I find myself constantly picking one or the other of "the things" (as my wife endearingly refers to "them") in lieu of sitting in front of the TV, playing or practicing. It has turned out to be remarkably relaxing, fun, and always challenging.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
sue_w_uk

Post by sue_w_uk »

Okay, quick update, I couldn't wait for the whistle to arrive so I took a trip into town today and found tin whistles:)I bought a Clarkes whistle which is sort of tapered towards one end and all in one piece with a sort of wooden plug in the mouthpiece and I assume is a fairly standard type cheap whistle. I couldn't wait to get home to rip it out of the bag and blow into it :grin:
It's now 3 hours later and and my little Tin Whistle tune book is looking worn and something that sounds like Danny Boy is seeping from the end of the whistle!! Do I sound excited - oh yes :grin: All I have to do now is stop the little squeeky noises I'm getting when I try to hit the higher notes and Bob's you're Uncle, I think that's a tune I have here :grin: I'm not sure about being relaxing though, I think I need Valium now
:???:
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Sue,
Welcome. I'm new to the board but not to whistling. I think you'll do well and I know you'll enjoy the learning curve. Focus on one song at a time, learn all you can from others about how certain effects are done. Practice, practice, practice. Stay determined to break through the squeaks and squawks. Above all have fun.

I wish you the very best.

Cinead
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

:smile:
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Cool, it worked!
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

:1 :2 :0 :[
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Oops. No worky. Let's see... What were those codes again? Back in a while.
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Well Cinead,

We now know that you are not John Travolta, b/c as far as we know he has never played the whistle and you indicated that you have been playing for a while.

Peace,
Erik