An unusual “in search of”

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jiminos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

An unusual “in search of”

Post by jiminos »

Hello, All!

Does anybody around here know of a whistle maker who has made, is currently making, or has the ability to make a High D in Red Delrin? Or does anybody have one they would be willing to sell or trade?

Thank you in advance,
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Flotineer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Re: An unusual “in search of”

Post by Flotineer »

Does it have to be delrin? I ask because red PVC is easy to come by (home depot, amazon) and you might be able to get someone who works in PVC to do a special one for you. I got Mack Hoover to make a green PVC one for me.
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

That’s an interesting suggestion. But, I am definitely looking for one in delrin…

Thank you, though.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I would think any whistle maker who works in Delrin and/or Acetal (Busman, Seery, Abell, Milligan) could do so, but you might have to source the Red Delrin rod or square for them to turn. It is available in that color, but I imagine makers typically purchase reasonable, most economic quantities in black to fill their orders. Solid red ebonite rod stock might also be an option for you to consider (solid red, not the swirled stuff). I know that Roy McManus has previously used ebonite for whistles.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

Thank you!
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Perhaps contact Alba whistles :D (https://www.albawhistles.com/index.php#home) to see if they have or know where to get
single pieces or low quantities of red material, either Delrin or similar, such as the Albanite used by Alba for their fipple
plugs and whistle enhancements, which start out in tube form. Lots of pictures on the Alba website. Maybe Alba can
also make an entire whistle out of that material, I don't know, they don't do so right now, they focus exclusively on aluminum tubes
but the albanite is used in various ways that suggest it's a very strong material. You don't want to end up buying
$300+ worth of red Delrin bar or tube stock just to get one good whistle out of it. :tomato:

Buying excess whistles: Whoad
Buying excess stock material to make whistles and wasting a lot of money, materials and storage space: WESSEXDIMWIT
Whistle Excess Stock Stockholm Equivocating Xenophobic Dust Inviting Malignant Weight Inducing Tedium
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Try Paul Busman, for sure. At one time he made Delrin whistles out of many colors. I have one from him made of green Dymondwood. It was a composite that acted like wood, but did not need the care of a wooden whistle. When kids at concerts would ask me what It Is made of, I told them it was dragon bone.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Huhupat
Tell us something.: i've been making flutes for over twenty years, playing with friends and neighbors who help me tune my instruments and encourage me to share my art with the world. I carve bamboo flutes using concentrated sunlight and 3D-print whistle mouthpieces down to 42" contrabasses, as well as one-handed double tabor pipes.

Post by Huhupat »

I could try 3d printing you one in black delrin but red filament is hard to find.
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

I’ve reached out to Paul. His response left me thinking he wasn’t that excited about the project.

As for printing the whistle, I appreciate the offer, but it really does need to be in red. Thank you, though.

Anybody else have some thoughts?
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Roland of Gilead
Tell us something.: I make ceramic instruments called Ocarinas for a living but am also very fond of playing whistle and accordion for Irish traditional music

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Maybe check with Alex DeWilde of Hermit Hill. He makes black, green and red pvc low whistles, but I think he might be worth checking with to see if he can work with the material you're asking about specifically. His work is very highly regarded, and he does make whistles from solid Delrin rod as well. Give him a shout

https://www.hhfi.biz/index.html