It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:14 pm 

I'm glad someone woke up this sleepy thread. You guys have some nice collections! Wow.

Here's what I've got at the moment.

Yamaha YRF-21 Fife C
Generation Bb
Generation C
Feadóg C
Generation D
Freeman Generation D*
Dixon Solid Brass D
Feadóg D
Waltons D
Clare 2-Piece D
Feadóg Pro D
Generation Eb
Generation F
Generation G

*The head for the Freeman D is with Jerry getting some love. It had the old-gen head and developed quite a few cracks over the years that I repaired but he told me to send it in. One of my favorite whistles.

I am waiting, very impatiently I might add, for a new Chieftain Thunderbird tunable low D that should be here any day now. I’ve been saving up for a low D for some years and I was finally able to choose one and splurge and get something nice. There's nothing like the anticipation of a new instrument.

The Dixon is a great session whistle. Very pure tone with some airiness. A lot of the other Dixons and other all-Delrin-head whistles I've played have come off a little sterile with no airiness or character but this one has both, and with great intonation. The Freeman D gives a great traditional sound with more chiff and air and has good intonation. The Clare comes in a very close second to the Freeman. Also a superb whistle. It was actually my first, lucky me. I'd been playing various things (mando, guitar, bass, percussion) with a fellow in NYC that was a great whistler, among other things. I'd always found the instrument fascinating and after showing interest he gave me one of his! What a nice guy.

The other standouts in my collection are the Generation Bb and Feadóg C. The rest are just okay.

On the wish list: Burke D, Chieftain High D, Low F/G; Freeman A/Bb/C

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:51 am 

Nice collection! I have a few of those myself. And I also love the Gen Bb. Congrats on the Chieftain! Got the V4 and it's really nice.

Edit: how do you like the Feadog Pro compared to the standard model?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:43 pm 

Sedi wrote:
Nice collection! I have a few of those myself. And I also love the Gen Bb. Congrats on the Chieftain! Got the V4 and it's really nice.

Edit: how do you like the Feadog Pro compared to the standard model?

Thanks! In the beginning I was leaning towards the V4 but then after a lot of consideration I chose the T-Bird. In one of his videos he compares the V4, the T-Bird, and the Kerry Pro and that sort of sealed the deal. I felt like the solid bottom end and the chiff and air found in the T-Bird was closest to the sound I want, even over the Kerry Pro which apparently cost more when it was available.

As far as the Feadóg, I find the Pro is noticeably brighter but also a bit thinner and slightly unstable especially in the second octave which is a disappointment. I'm not sure if that could be remedied by some head tweaking but I haven't been compelled to try it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:41 pm 

Thanks for the info on the Feadog.
I saw that video - you're right, the Thunderbird sounded great. I'm thinking about getting a second low D from them - the Kerry Optima.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:24 pm 

The Optimas are really nice too. Those were high on my list before I decided to spend more. The replaceable head is a very nice option should anything happen.

Meanwhile, this came in the mail this morning! Phil does superb work. Couldn't be happier with it. It sounds amazing. It has a really solid and warm low end which I love. Really pure tone quality with some airiness on each note.

Now I'm not sure if this is common with low whistles in general but it has amazing response. When tonguing, it speaks effortlessly with no splitting or warbling like a lot of my higher whistles tend to do. I've spent a lot of time working on this but this whistle is very forgiving and so easy to play. Phil says the V4 is even more forgiving so that must be a dream. Again not sure if this is partly due to low whistle physics or high end manufacture or both but no other whistle I've ever played speaks this clearly and easily. I'm really impressed and can't wait to grow with this instrument.

The piper's grip is taking some getting used to. I'm finding C# a bit tricky but planting the left pinky as well as the right helps a lot. Going back to a high D is comical! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:46 pm 

Very nice! Enjoy it! I like the slightly breathy sound. Makes it sound more like a proper Tinwhistle and not like a recorder. Some whistles (no matter if low D or others) just sound too sterile for my taste.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:10 pm 

Not everyone is into leather... however, I had some custom leather whistle case work done by Redhawk - Steve Harris from Oregon. Good craftsmanship deserves good craftsmanship. I prefer wooden whistles but do not leave the whistles in the leather cases when not in use, only for transport. I have whistle rolls and bags, yet, most often I'll only carry a whistle or two. Yeah, I'm carrying...

And here is the link to see some of the beautiful craftsmanship done by Steve Harris. The design, tooling, carving, coloring is just beautiful!
http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/ytlie ... rris/story

I may need a gun rack for the whistles and the leather cases.

p.s. My photography skills and equipment do no justice to the beauty of these whistle cases. I may need to get one of them high-end pro camera systems except my eyes are losing ability, and I'm a penurious, tone deaf, wannabee whistler. If I could just learn to play that thing!

Here is Steve's website... enjoy!
http://www.rawhidebraider.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:21 pm 

My previous whistles were lost in a house fire. I decided to start again with an Oz High D in Gidgee. Received it today from Mitch in Oz... and it is sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:57 am 

That is a fine whistle to rebuild your collection. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:22 am 

Additional collection pictures...

Three generations of Generation whistles. At top is an older (but probably not quite "early") plastic head whistle; then a tinned brass whistle with adhesive label; and then an elderly brass whistle with brass label. All in d.

Three Hohner whistles. In c, Bb and G.

Some neat old toy whistles: a little tinplate whistle marked "Occupied Japan"; a painted party favor whistle; an a long cylindrical whistle marked "Tom Tom, the Piper's Son".

A Chromette by E.V. Powell.

Two sweet sounding brass whistles in high g. The cylindrical whistle marked "In Tune" and the conical is just marked "G" (maybe an early Clarke?).

A very strange conical whistle. Nicely made, all metal block, but the hole spacing gives it a rather funky scale!

Four whistles: the top one marked "Johil Flute", in A; the next one a Holifield, in d; then a Laughing Whistle by Noah Henderson, collapsible, in d; a whistle marked "B" in a star, with interesting fipple design.

A simple system flute, Japanese 'beginner's flute' in F with three keys; three recorders: Moeck descant, early Dolmetsch descant and an early Dolmetsch treble.

Three flutes: an unmarked piccolo in grenadilla; a Metzler flute in Bb; a Potter flute in F.

An unmarked wood fife in g.

A tenor curtal by Wood; a suona; a keyless musette marked "Improved - London"; a Potter oboe; an old ciaramella; a gralla seca; a mizmar.

A bass rackett by Wood; a kortholt by Steinkopf; a cornetto by Steinkopf; a pibgorn by John Tose; a bass sordune by Wood; a silver trumpet by Tiffany; a metal musette by Matthieu; that indispensable instrument of cookery, the whistlespoon; an early kelhorn by Kelischek.

Lastly, a little brass horn of some kind and a cast aluminium olifant, which I'm sure sounds every bit as good as Roland's ivory one!

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:39 am 

I have at least two whistles in every key since I use them in different ways on recordings. It's fascinating to see what other folks have.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:16 pm 

Not sure I'd call what I have a 'collection', it's more a bunch of whistles that came along over time. If not a collector, I am a bit of a hoarder at heart and I tend to pick up things that interest me when I come across them.

I take the odd snap of a whistle if a discussion of the forums calls for an illustration. I tend to dispose of those after use. Here are two recent snaps, maybe they won't get discarded when I put them here.

First are two old Clarkes, a red one in E and a plain one in D that is marked 'Clarke 1843 Made in England'. I have no idea what period they'd fall into. The D one, after a bit of fiddling with it, is actually very nice.

The whistle in the second snap is a Victorian six key whistle in D.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:55 pm 

the 'D' clarke appears to have an offset seam, compared to most where the (standing) seam runs along the backside, 180 degrees from the tone holes. It could just be rust, paint and/or asphaltum?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:03 pm 

I think the photo is playing tricks. The whistle has a regular seam at the back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:56 pm 

Are you positive the red whistle (in E) is a Clarke? Is it marked as such? It looks more like one of the many brands of German or Japanese made post-war whistles.

Also, love that keyed whistle! If you ever feel like parting with it, just drop me a line!

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next