It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:43 pm 

June 7, 2014 is a wooden whistle day in rosewood. Ordered on June 5, 2014 and received June 7, 2014. I love WOOD.
Ralph Sweet high D rosewood whistle is a whole new design since I recently purchased a used older RS blackwood high D. The rosewood craftsmanship is superb. Light weight, two full octaves of sweetness and solid bell note.

ImageImage
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:30 am 

Aug. 30, 2014 is a high D wooden whistle day in blackwood. Ordered on Aug. 22, 2014 and received Aug. 30, 2014. Fast, immediate, and professional service from the Sweetheart Flute Company. I love the WOOD and had to have them both... that's WHOAD! Chocolate and dark chocolate... very healthy! The blackwood high D craftsmanship is superb as expected and previously acknowledged with the rosewood high D. Light weight, two full octaves of sweetness and solid bell note.

Yes, I have twins because they are THAT good! Great voicing.

What do I know, I'm just a penurious, tone deaf, wannabe whistler. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:49 am 

Ytliek,
NICE MATE! Those are some verY "Sweet" looking eye candy! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Cayden

Last edited by Cayden on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:50 am 

They are sweeter than they look.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:36 pm 

New around these parts, and still fairly new to whistling, but already caught in the throes of WHOA:

L to R: Parks Black Every set, Mellow Dog, Gen D, Parks Ghost, Gen C, Freeman "Gen" Low G

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:19 pm 

I've been looking at everyone else's photos of fantastic fippleosity and finally got together pictures of my collection of whistles and flutes. Hope you all enjoy! Descriptions all run top to bottom.

Whistle 1 is named Whistle No. 1, being the first whistle I ever bought; it is a conical whistle of the rolled tin type with wooden block in D. Whistles 2 through 6 are of similar construction. Whistle 4 has a plastic or delrin block. Whistle 7 has a lead block and is in the neighborhood of E. All are unmarked, though whistles 1 through 6 resemble the Cooperman make (or perhaps vice versa!), and it is quite possible that one or more of these are actually of that particular make.

Whistle 1 is marked ΔΚ and has a litho of a cherub; whistle 2 is marked “Made in Japan” and is also brightly lithoed with an image of a boy playing a whistle; whistle 3 is a Schoha, lithoed and bearing the trademark bell. These three whistles are in F. Whistle 4 is a Schoha in C, lithoed with the trademark bell. Whistle 5 is a Calura in C; there is a stamp trademark of two crossed hammers. All these whistles have wooden blocks. Whistle 6 is a rolled tin whistle in C, very nicely decorated with impressed designs including a United States shield, star and scrollwork; pressed tin block.

Whistle 1 is a Clarke original, undecorated and with a plain silver-grey painted finish; marked “Clarke”; in D. Whistle 2 is an R. Clarke in C. Whistles 3 & 4 are Clarkes in C with various litho work. All whistles are of the rolled tin type with wooden blocks.

Whistle 1 is a Daniel Bingamon brass “slide” whistle in d with delrin block; the slide facilitates the playing of this very tiny whistle. Whistle 2 is a Bingamon brass D whistle made to play in D Phrygian dominant scale (a.k.a. the “Jewish Scale”, though it’s common in many musical traditions). Whistle 3 is a Mack Hoover high G in brass and is tunable. Whistle 4 is a Hoover narrow bore high D in brass, nontubable. Whistle 5 is a Hoover low GG in brass, tunable.

All whistles are old style cylindrical bodies with lead blocks. Whistle 1 is an unmarked whistle in high G. Whistle 2 is by Barnet Samuel and Sons (B.S.) and is trademarked Δ-Dulcet in high G. Whistle 3 is by T.D. & Co. and is trademarked with a lyre playing woman sitting on the back of a lion; in high G. Whistle 4 is unmarked; in F. Whistle 5 is marked “Seal of Quality / Trademark Reg. No. 436198” and is trademarked with a T.I.C. monogram; in E♭. Whistle 6 is by T.D. & Co. and is trademarked with a lyre playing woman sitting on the back of a lion; in high D. Whistle 7 is unmarked; in high D. Whistle 8 is in tinned brass by Perfect Tune, trademarked with an eight pointed star and the H&L monogram; in high D.

Whistle 1 is an old cylindrical brass body whistle with lead block; marked “Joseph Wallis / 135 / Euston Road / London”; in C. Whistle 2 is marked “B & S / London / Toronto”; brass body with lead block; in C. Whistle 3 is an all white metal whistle marked “C.H. Mathieu / M(arque) Deposé / Paris” and on the back “3 / RE”; appears to be nickel plated; in high D. Whistle 4 is marked “American Star Flageolet”; cylindrical body of the rolled tin type with lead block; in C. Whistle 5 is marked “Elton / U.S.” with an American Eagle; cylindrical body of the rolled tin type with plastic block.

Whistle 1 is marked “Trade Mark / In Tune / British Mark / London”; brass tube body with lead block; in low GG. Whistle 2 is marked “Trade Mark / Δ.B.S. / Dulcet / Barnett Samuel / & Sons / London”; in low GG. Whistle 3 is a Hohner whistle; cylindrical body, tin plated brass with plated brass plug; in low GG. Whistle 4 is a brass taborpipe; 4 finger holes and finger hook. Upon enquiry with the Tabor Society in the U.K., the following information was gleaned: “This looks like one by Bill Warder. He was a member of St Albans Morris Men and he made copies of the original instruments that Kenworthy Schofield had made by David Taylor."

A set of Dave Shaw whistles in high D, low GG and low DD. Shaw whistles are nontunable conical bore bodies in german silver; high keys have wooden blocks, low keys have integral metal blocks.

A set of Michael Copeland whistles in high D, low GG and low DD. All are conical bored with brass bodies and are tunable. The low DD is a very early example, having been made when Copeland was active in Philadelphia. Notice the “tone projectors” built on to the larger whistles, which appear to be very similar to devices invented and described by Dr. Carl Dolmetsch for use on recorders: “Imagine a wheelbarrow without its subframe, wheel or handles and with its base removed. Cut a pair of arcs from the bottom of the north and south faces of this device so that when placed on the recorder, secured by an elastic band running around the back of the head section attached to two protruding pins placed one on the east, the other on the west face, it fits snuggly like a rectangular megaphone over the recorder's window. The effect is to slightly flatten the pitch of the recorder and to concentrate the sound energy radiating from the window. These two properties of the device allow the player to blow more strongly, without compromising the pitch, so giving the impression that the recorder tone is stronger than it might otherwise seem.” Dolmetsch have not made such devices for their recorders since the 1970s.

Whistle 1 is an earlier model (TW-25) by Olivier Bouchard; tunable brass body with ebony beak and adjustable block; in high D. Whistle 2 is by Alex DeWilde and is marked “Hermit Hill Folk Instruments”; tunable heavy brass body with delrin beak and block; in high D. Instrument 3 is by John Sindt; tunable brass body with delrin beak & block; in high D. Whistle 4 is by Michael Burke; tunable brass body with delrin plug; 2009; in high D. Whistle 5 is by Brian Howard; tunable brass body with delrin block; trademarked with a man playing an old Irish harp. Whistle 6 is a crudely made brass whistle with brass block; in D. Whistle 7 is a brass bodied transverse whistle in C.

Whistle 1 is a very interesting muting flageolet in tinned brass; rolled tin conical bore body; marked “C.H. Mathieu / Marque Deposé / Paris / France”; in high D. Whistle 2 is a transverse whistle in the form of a fife; marked “Elton / H.K. / Fife / Made in U.S.A.”; cylindrical rolled tin body; in high D. Whistle 3 is marked “Made by / Melody / Flute / Co. / Laurel MD”; a cylindrical steel tubed body transverse whistle; in high D.

Whistle 1 is a Saxette — not to be confused with any kind of basic saxophone! — made by the Saxette Co. of Delaware, O. in the late 1930s and early 1940s; nickel plated and made in rough immitation of the shape of the metal clarinet popular at that time. Whistle 2 is a King Flute made in the Philippines; bamboo; in C. Whistle 3 is a Perri whistle, made by Waltons; painted aluminium; in C.

Whiste 1 is a Glen Schultz Thin Weasel; tunable wood body with brass tuning slide, cocobolo wood, stainless steel fittings; in high D. Whistle 2 is a Glen Schultz Thin Weasel; tunable three part body with brass slides, dark wood, possibly ebony, stainless steel fittings; in low GG.

Whistle 1 is a matched set by Chris Abel; tunable cylindrical body in ebony with sterling fittings; in high D & high C. Whistle 2 is a matched set by an unknown maker; tunable cylindrical body in a light wood with brass slide and fittings; in high D & high C.

Whistle 1 is a Crown model Shepherd Pipe Flageolet; marked “Starcyl / Registered / English Make”; tunable conical bore wood body with german silver fittings; in high D. Whistle 2 is a Ralph Sweet tabor pipe; tunable conical bore wood body; in high D. Whistle 3 is a Ralph Sweet; tunable conical bore wood body; in high D. Note that Sweet uses a felt wrapping for his tuning slides, rather than metal on metal, cork or string wrappings. Whistle 4 is an unmarked nontunable wooden whistle; in the neighborhood of D♯.

Whistle 1 is by Bernard Overton; nontunable cylindrical aluminium body with aluminium block; in low GG. Whistle 2 is by Bernard Overton; nontunable cylindrical aluminium body with aluminium block; in low DD. Whistle 3 is by Michael Burke; MK Pro Viper model; tunable wide cylindrical bore with adjustable low D segment; delrin block and beak; in low DD.

A pair of whistles by Susato; cylindrical plastic bodies, blocks and beaks. Whistle 1 is nontunable pentatonic; in high D. Whistle 2 is tunable diatonic; in low GG.

Whistles 1, 2 & 3 are shakuhachis; bamboo. Whistle 4 is highly decorated tabor pipe; wood with lead or pewter fittings. Whistle 5 is a decorated wooden whistle; aluminium fittings.

Whistle 1 is a one keyed English flageolet in low GG. Whistle 2 is by Potter of London; 18th century wood with ivory fittings, brass tuning slide and six sterling keys; probably a “transverse recorder”; presently non-functional (no block); possibly in low CC.

Whistle 1 is an unmarked French flageolet in ebony with ivory fittings; four finger holes, two tumb holes and three sterling keys. Whistle 2 is an unmarked right-handed English flageolet with german silver fittings and six keys; in high D. Whistle 3 is an unmarked left-handed English flageolet with two brass keys (remaining out of four original keys); in high D.

Flute 1 is an unmarked fife in wood with german silver fittings. Flute 2 is marked “Improved / Geo. Cloos” and is trademarked with a GC monogram; german silver fittings. Flute 3 is a Zogbaum one key flute by Ferdinand Zogbaum; 1860s; german silver key and fittings; in G. Flute 4 is an unmarked four key flute; german silver keys and fittings; in D. Flute 5 is the inevitable and inevitably horrific Pakistani flute; purportedly in D.

If anyone can help identifying the "unknown maker" whistles in the wooden section, I'd be most appreciative!

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:35 pm 

whistlecollector wrote:
I've been looking at everyone else's photos of fantastic fippleosity and finally got together pictures of my collection of whistles and flutes. Hope you all enjoy! Descriptions all run top to bottom.

I'd say that you've earned your forum name. Nice collection!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:35 pm 

whistlecollector wrote:
Whistle 1 is a matched set by Chris Abel; tunable cylindrical body in ebony with sterling fittings; in high D & high C. Whistle 2 is a matched set by an unknown maker; tunable cylindrical body in a light wood with brass slide and fittings; in high D & high C.

If anyone can help identifying the "unknown maker" whistles in the wooden section, I'd be most appreciative!

The unknown maker of that D & C set is Tommy Dion in Santa Fe, Texas.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:35 pm 

My current whistle collection, from top to bottom.

Becker Low D
Becker Alto G
Generation B flat
Generation C
Clarke D
Soodlum's D
Generation E flat

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:12 pm 

These are the additions to the collection since I last posted here.

Top picture - Bleazey Blackwood low D, Rose blackwood D, the flute is not mine.

Bottom picture - Impempe low D, Burke low D, Dixon Trad G, MK low D.

David

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:49 am 

Hi!

I'm 14 years old and I've been playing for about two years. I love tin whistles. Its me. Its my instrument. I love it so much. I want to get better and better every day. This is my collection so far. There's one coming in the mail soon.

I alson have native american flutes.

Dixon Low D, 12 Generations, One Walton's, One Clarke, Two Unknown silvers, A Dixon Trad. Gold

Native American Flutes, Tin Whistles, A wooden Bb tin whistle, South American Flute.

Help me go to a Trad Irish Music camp!

https://www.gofundme.com/2td2ndg

THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:53 am 

Dusty old drumstick case found tucked on the back of a shelf behind books

This case hasn't been opened for maybe 15 years or more

Left to right: Generation Tabor pipe, Susato D, Sweetone C, Feadog D (my very first whistle that came with an instruction book), Shaw E, home-made E, Susato low A, Set of Generation in Bb C D D Eb F & G.

Hope to get playing these again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:54 am 

nice collections everybody has

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:41 am 

Hi guys,
New member here from Germany and my first post.
A little about my musical background:
My 1st instrument was a nose flute that I got when I was 8 yo and which I still own to this day. I think at around 12 I got my 1st tinwhistle. Then took some flute lessons when I was 13 or 14 I think. But only for a half year. With 17 I took up the guitar and paused from whistle-playing for a long time. But I recently rediscovered them and bought a few - then started making some myself - so here's a pic:
From left to right:
Tony Dixon Low D Flute
DIY Shakuhachi with Quena-style mouthpiece
DIY overtone-flute
DIY Low G whistle (except for the overtone whistle all my DIY-whistles have Quena-style mouthpieces because they're easy to make and sound nice) - the biggest whistle I made so far and probably the biggest I'll ever make because even with piper's grip it's hard to play
Low C
another Low C with a different hole-layout
Shakuhachi flute
another Shakuhachi
and a flute that plays some obscure Japanese scale
another Shakuhachi
whistle in E
Tony Dixon Trad whistle in G
DIY in A
Feadog C
Clarke Sweetone C
Clarke standard in D
Generation D
Chieftain Low D
an aluminum Quena from eBay - cheap but really good quality
a recorder - don't know the maker though
Yamaha Fife YRF21
another recorder - plastic this time
and in the case there's a noname classical flute
in the black bag is a Chalumeaux

I also have a couple of Ocarinas:
A Focalink Alto C and Soprano C, a Susato Nightingale and a TNG Alto C "Seedpod"-style.

That's it for now but I'll sure make some more DIY whistles from PVC-tubing. The next time I'll make some with a standard mouthpiece.

cheers, Sedi :)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:17 pm 

It's been a few years since I've posted to C&F, so I figured I'd say howdy with a pic of my whistles.

ImageMy Whistles by John Sluder, on Flickr

Left-to-right:
Gene Milligan mezzo A (Cocobolo with Delrin polymer mouthpiece and brass fittings) - My latest acquisition.
Early Pat O'Riordan high C&D Concert Whistle set (Kingwood with Ebonite mouthpiece and brass fittings)
Greenwood (David Boisvert) high D (Blackwood with brass fittings)
Paul Busman high C (American Ironwood, aka Hop Hornbeam, with stainless steel fittings)
Paul Busman high D (American Ironwood, aka Hop Hornbeam, with stainless steel fittings)
Paul Busman high D (Delrin polymer with stainless steel fittings) - My travel whistle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next