Photos of your collection!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Inner Light
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Photos of your collection!

Post by Inner Light »

Sirchronique wrote:That is actually a generation Bb (The Bb I believe I recommended to you, and you said would be too breathy! :lol: ), not an Eb. Glad you like it!
Ooops! Typo!! Sorry! :lol: (I'll correct it right away....)

Yes, it's a little breathy but still ok, I like it.
Thanx for the recommendation!

The Shaw is way more breathy (it's the "chiff" you guys are always talking about, right?). In comparison to the others, it's like there's almost nothing but air coming out of it, ha ha ha. :lol:
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Inner Light wrote:The Shaw is way more breathy (it's the "chiff" you guys are always talking about, right?).
Time for this year's debate about chiff & sizzle? :o
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Inner Light

Post by Inner Light »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Inner Light wrote:The Shaw is way more breathy (it's the "chiff" you guys are always talking about, right?).
Thanx for the link, Peter!
Now it's clear. :)

I misunderstood it as the "air noises" with each tone, which is different from whistle to whistle.

So, is there an official technical term for "breathy" or "airy" in English, which - in my understanding - is just a circumscription to kinda explain the "wind noises" or amount of breath to be heard while playing? Since it is a clearly differentiable characteristic in each different whistle, I would expect that there's a technical term for it.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Inner Light wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:
Thanx for the link, Peter!
Now it's clear. :)

I misunderstood it as the "air noises" with each tone, which is different from whistle to whistle.

So, is there an official technical term for "breathy" or "airy" in English, which - in my understanding - is just a circumscription to kinda explain the "wind noises" or amount of breath to be heard while playing? Since it is a clearly differentiable characteristic in each different whistle, I would expect that there's a technical term for it.

You are using the correct term. The term to use to describe a breathy whistle is.... breathy! If there is a more technical term, I don't think I've heard anyone use it.
kmarty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by kmarty »

Sirchronique wrote:
Inner Light wrote:... is just a circumscription to kinda explain the "wind noises" or amount of breath to be heard while playing? ...

You are using the correct term. The term to use to describe a breathy whistle is.... breathy! If there is a more technical term, I don't think I've heard anyone use it.
OK, and the correct meaning is which one?
For example for me "breathy" means "it needs more amount of air" and "windy" as "there is sound of wind". But I'm not native english and this is just my guessing.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

kmarty wrote:
Sirchronique wrote:
Inner Light wrote:... is just a circumscription to kinda explain the "wind noises" or amount of breath to be heard while playing? ...

OK, and the correct meaning is which one?
For example for me "breathy" means "it needs more amount of air".

We are talking about the tone of the whistle, not the air requirement. Breathy means the sound has a lot of "breath noise" in it, like a clarke, shaw, or MK.

Many breathy whistles, such as a clarke, use a lot more air than non-breathy whistles, but not always. I believe "breathy" only refers to the sounds of the whistle, not the air requirement.

Chiff is something completely different, which the link above explains better than I can.
Inner Light

Post by Inner Light »

Sirchronique wrote:

Okidoki! :)
Thank you very much, Sirchronique. :thumbsup:
midwestmutt

Post by midwestmutt »

http://imageshack.us/scaled/large/191/8zhv.jpg][/url]A few of my flutes: L-R-- Native American drone in G by Tommy Lee of Wisconsin--three Copeland low D in brass--Shaw low D--Shaw low G--Copeland low F--Clark high D, my 1st flute--Clark high D--Clark high C--Copeland high D--Copeland high D,my first of his flutes--Copeland high C--High Spirits Native american drone in F traditional form--below--High Spirits replica Native American eagle bone whistle in porcelain
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

I'd post a picture, but all you really gotta do is look at my avatar picture and imagine a Generation High D in Nickel with it! :thumbsup:
Whistlin' since 2013
Brad Maestas
Tell us something.: I love the chiff. I love the fipple. After crumpets and tea I have a tipple. Of slides, taps, cranns, and rolls.

Post by Brad Maestas »

Here's my humble collection so far (L-R)
Generation G
Generation F
Generation Eb (not bad)
Dixon Solid Brass D (a great instrument!)
Clare 2-piece D (my first whistle, a gift from a player)
Generation D (the low D warbles badly...for now...scalpel!)
Generation C (acceptable)
Generation Bb (pretty good)
*not in the shot: Yamaha YF-21 Fife

Currently on their way to me:
Feadog D Brass
Feadog C Brass
Feadog Pro D
Waltons D
Freeman-Tweaked Gen D
Dixon Trad D Brass
Dixon Trad Low G Brass
Dixon Low D Flute/Whistle Duo (Poly)
and my sister's Armstrong student flute

I think it's fair to say I've been bitten by some sort of bug.
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

Here's my small collection:
Whistlin' since 2013
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

Here are a few whistles I purchased recently from a private party. They are Pat O'Riordan's work, and are made of some kind of rosewood I'd say. They are numbered only with '62' and the pitch on the heads. The whistles are all the same diameter. The Bflat has its own head, and C and D share one. There is also a flute head that fits on all 3.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
tenor_tim

Post by tenor_tim »

Here's my collection so far.

Favorites are my Oak D, Feadog D, Walton's C, and my Freeman Generation A.

http://imgur.com/a/rMpEK#0
When you have stepped through the looking-glass, you step back at your own peril. The mirror may cut you to shreds.
-Salman Rushdie