Photos of your collection!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Re: Photos of your collection!

Post by AuLoS303 »

fatmac wrote: Also, I will soon be adding a Low D to my collection, thanks to another one of your threads. :thumbsup:
Yes I hope to order a low D once Christmas is over
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
clothear
Tell us something.: I like tin whistles. I'm really bad at playing them, but I don't let that stop me. I like to play a low A whistle -- I figure, that way nobody expects me to be able to play fast!

Post by clothear »

whistlingman wrote:I only have two whistles. I made them though well part of them the mouthpiece is from a Walton's little black whistle. They both have a gold ring around them and play pretty much like that same whistle! Made of pvc almost in tune. But good enough for me because I just solo.
I love them! How'd you do the marbling?
clothear
Tell us something.: I like tin whistles. I'm really bad at playing them, but I don't let that stop me. I like to play a low A whistle -- I figure, that way nobody expects me to be able to play fast!

Post by clothear »

I have a lot of whistles, because I like making them and I like experimenting. One day I should get around to selling the ones I make, but that part's always boring compared to the making!

Sorry if the images are too big... this forum doesn't seem to let me specify image size.

Here is a bass whistle made by Daniel Bingamon earlier in 2018. It's in the D below low D. It has a C key and a non-acoustic extension to allow it to be rested on things while playing... with everything, it's about 3.5 feet long. Sound is good -- goes up to about upper F#. Takes a *lot* of breath.

These are some high D whistles.

This is a Shearwater Low A (my main whistle for actually playing) and a low D whistle that I bought from somewhere and then redecorated. I never liked playing this Low D much.

Finally, here's a Low A -- the finger hole locations are unconventional and to be honest not that great. I have huge hands, so I'm fine with it, but the next one will be laid out more like that Shearwater.

AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Those whistles look beautiful. I could imagine something like that selling really well! Would love to hear that bass D!
clothear

Post by clothear »

AuLoS303 wrote:Those whistles look beautiful. I could imagine something like that selling really well! Would love to hear that bass D!
Thanks! I sell a couple locally... not sure how to put them on the internet, I was thinking of just putting a couple on ebay.

Yes, I need to actually make a sound recording of the Bass D. One problem is that the upper set of 3 keys make quite a lot of noise -- in real life it's not awful, but it seems to dominate when I try to record! I'll have a go at recording something...
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

clothear wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:Those whistles look beautiful. I could imagine something like that selling really well! Would love to hear that bass D!
Thanks! I sell a couple locally... not sure how to put them on the internet, I was thinking of just putting a couple on ebay.

Yes, I need to actually make a sound recording of the Bass D. One problem is that the upper set of 3 keys make quite a lot of noise -- in real life it's not awful, but it seems to dominate when I try to record! I'll have a go at recording something...
You could try listing them on Etsy. Its become quite popular for selling artisan stuff. I reckon they'd do well!
clothear

Post by clothear »

AuLoS303 wrote:
clothear wrote:

You could try listing them on Etsy. Its become quite popular for selling artisan stuff. I reckon they'd do well!
Here, I made a recording of the Bingamon Bass:

https://youtu.be/O2KOpAktD30

Don't judge the whistle harshly, I don't practice with it and I didn't take long to make this!
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Hello guys,
Benjamin is right about the key noise. I'm making new keys on the 3D printer that are made of ABS and a lot quieter.
I hope to get a swap out set made up to replace existing keys on basswhistles out there.

Also, the Basswhistles are going into a book that will have all the drawings and Openscad files to produce the plastic parts.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

clothear wrote:

Don't judge the whistle harshly, I don't practice with it and I didn't take long to make this!
Mind if I share that video to a Facebook group?
clothear

Post by clothear »

AuLoS303 wrote:
clothear wrote:

Mind if I share that video to a Facebook group?
Go 'head!
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

And then there were 3...

RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Here's my small assortment of whistles, from top to bottom in the order that I acquired them.

Grange Craft "Traditional Irish Tin Whistle" in D, apparently made by a family-run Irish crafts business in Ovens, County Cork. I bought it from a Celtic gift store in a US coastal town years ago when I didn't know anything about whistles. It tends to screech a little, and the tone isn't as nice as my other whistles, but I keep it for sentimental value. There's nothing like your first whistle, after all.

Oak Classic in D. I got it last year when I decided I needed a better whistle. It was the only brand available at the local music store not far from where I live. Clear and bright tone.

Clarke Original in D. I really enjoy the mellow tonal quality, breathyness, and lower volume.

Generation whistle in C. I decided to try different keys, but so far this is my only whistle not in D. I got it at a local music store which shall remain nameless, when I was visiting another state. They had a good selection of whistles, but didn't allow you to try them before buying. It turned out the intonation is ever so slightly off. Also, the shop's price and barcode stickers left lots of really sticky gunk, and I ended up scratching up the brass finish trying to remove it. :x

Chris Wall low D whistle. Probably my favorite out of all of them (so far, anyway).

I think I'll go for a Feadog next.

ddp
Tell us something.: I 'm reading the forum for sometime now, but recently I bought a Bb whistle as my next whistle after a D one, but I m having problems and I would like to ask for help
Thank you

Post by ddp »

Nothing special or rare.
I have the Sweetone D for about a year and I got the Generation Bb a week ago.
If you noticed it, the tape on the Sweetone is because I have a thumb ring on the back and on the Gen it 's because I have the top 3 holes covered experimenting with the lower ones.

The base is a disc cake box. It fits the Bb perfectly.

ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

'Grange Craft "Traditional Irish Tin Whistle"'

It looks an awful lot like a Clare whistle to me.

https://www.grangecraft.com/tin-whistle/
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

ecadre wrote:'Grange Craft "Traditional Irish Tin Whistle"'

It looks an awful lot like a Clare whistle to me.

https://www.grangecraft.com/tin-whistle/
Looks like a Feadóg