Photos of your collection!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whistlecollector
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Photos of your collection!

Post by whistlecollector »

AuLoS303 wrote:And here is my only whistle. Pathetic I know. And technically its a toy, made by Schylling. I need a decent one but I seriously lack funds and its a minefield out there!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffjs81ose9xkp ... 1.jpg?dl=0
I've often wondered how the Schylling whistles play --- any good at all?

For the $7 to $10 you paid for the Schylling, you could also get a Clarke or a Generation. Both decent whistles. Save up a bit more and spring for a Freeman tweaked Generation.

For about the same money as a Generation, you can poke around for a Mark I Feadog brand whistle. They have a reputation for being pretty good blowers too.

Alternatively, you can just suck it up and learn how to draw sweet music from your Schylling! :D
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

whistlecollector wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:And here is my only whistle. Pathetic I know. And technically its a toy, made by Schylling. I need a decent one but I seriously lack funds and its a minefield out there!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffjs81ose9xkp ... 1.jpg?dl=0
I've often wondered how the Schylling whistles play --- any good at all?

For the $7 to $10 you paid for the Schylling, you could also get a Clarke or a Generation. Both decent whistles. Save up a bit more and spring for a Freeman tweaked Generation.

For about the same money as a Generation, you can poke around for a Mark I Feadog brand whistle. They have a reputation for being pretty good blowers too.

Alternatively, you can just suck it up and learn how to draw sweet music from your Schylling! :D
Ah no its dreadful. Really bad. I got myself a proper whistle (Feadóg D) and ts so much easier to play! And playing both together it soon becomes obvious that the Schylling is badly out of tune past the 3rd hole. Its going in the bin!
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Photo of my D Feadóg

PlanxtyPipes
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

Here's my little collection. I started playing about a month and a half ago after having the Freeman Tweaked Generation for years and never making time to learn how to play it. Finally I decided to stop procrastinating and carve time out of the day to learn how to play ITM after it being nearly all I've listened to for the last 2 years or so. It's been a challenge so far but I'm getting he hang of it.

Killarney Brass D and Freeman Tweaked Generation D

EDIT: Greatly reduced image size for the board!
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Planxty, I think all the time you spent simply listening to the music will not be in vain- it will really help you now as you are learning to play. Making the connection between music you've incorporated into your head and what your hands are doing is an important one. :)
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
PlanxtyPipes
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

Chifmunk wrote:Planxty, I think all the time you spent simply listening to the music will not be in vain- it will really help you now as you are learning to play. Making the connection between music you've incorporated into your head and what your hands are doing is an important one. :)
Thanks Chifmunk....I definitely agree so far. It's been fairly easy for me to pick up certain tunes like Planxty Irwin and Kid on the Mountain since the melodies are already fairly familiar to me. There are still plenty of times I have to slow the tune down and drill a section over and over, but it's much easier with tunes I'm familiar with than those I'm not. Playing another instrument (guitar) and being self-taught and playing by ear has been a giant advantage too. I already know "how" to learn tunes and my ear is already pretty good at picking up intervals. The main issues so far have been getting the rhythms correct and playing with lift. I knew this was going to be a lifelong process going into this though, so I'm just enjoying the journey!
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

My pipes all together
Aulos 211 tenor, Yamaha Alto, Aulos soprano, Feadóg D

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Did you throw away the Schylling then? :)
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:Did you throw away the Schylling then? :)
Yep. I did try to get the head off, see what I could do with it, but it wouldn't come off, despite dunking in boiling water. It went in the recycle bin. The Feadóg is a much much better whistle!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Did you throw away the Schylling then? :)
Yep. I did try to get the head off, see what I could do with it, but it wouldn't come off, despite dunking in boiling water. It went in the recycle bin. The Feadóg is a much much better whistle!
Feadógs are nice whistles, or can be, at any rate.
sonofahoran

Post by sonofahoran »

To Flogging Jason:

Great collection. I have 5 whistles and one on the way. I noticed a variation in the hole sizes and spacing of the holes, which I found interesting. I actually have a couple of whistles where the bottom right hand hole is a bit farther apart from the next one, which gives me a problem playing them. I've only been at it for 16 months. My next whistle has scallops around the holes and I am hoping that it will help me center my fingers over the holes.
Living the dream in Texas.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Tilbury Woodwinds Bb on top and a D, aluminum with delrin.

plamer
Tell us something.: I got interested in learning irish tin whistle and got pointed here by a reddit topic. Looking forward to joining the community :)

Post by plamer »

Here's mine! :)
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

plamer wrote:Here's mine! :)
You're well on your way!

It's too late for you now, but you'll soon enough learn that whistles are a lot like pringles. You just can't have one!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

I find it amazing the huge difference between the various 15 or so whistles I have- different materials, brands/makers, keys/sizes... All the combinations of factors make for such a broad range of tone, playability, volume, fingering techniques...
Even as a beginner, it's great inspiring to have choices when reaching for a whistle when i'm in the mood to play a tune. :D
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers