I was looking for Houston Irish pubs...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

for when Lee comes into town. I was hoping to find something a bit more accessible than the 'established' sessions at Mucky Duck and Slainte's.

So, I drove to Nikki's Irish Pub..it's near my house, and I've been meaning to go there for 10 months. I had a pint of warm Guinness and listened to Nine-Inch-Nails along with a bunch of 20-something clubbers. It seemed to be missing something..uhm..Irish :smile:

Then I went to Mr. C's Irish Pub..they just opened their 2nd one. I was a bit concerned when I walked in the place and heard country music...but then the bartender (who turned out to be a lovely irish lass) recognized the tinwhistle in my pocket and turned off the jukebox, and cajoled me into playing by plying me with Guinness until I relented. While I was playing, she called her father, and made me play into the phone. Then she gave me more Guinness.
I think I'm going to go back there :smile:

Greg

P.S. I never did make it to another pub that night. I suppose I'll have to look around another day. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wandering_Whistler on 2001-08-09 00:03 ]</font>
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

Why look further? Sounds like you found a little slice of heaven
curioso

Post by curioso »

If you're willing to travel to Galveston, there's a Thursday night session (8PM) at Fitzpatricks near the Strand. I've only heard it once, but their main goal seemed to be to relax & enjoy making music together. They've got a website with e-mail contacts at: http://www.orbitworld.net/amye/.
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Greg,

First, thank ya' kindly fer makin' da supreeme sacrifice o' 'aving ta endure some strangish irish lasses charms as she near drownded ya wit' Guiness. Such nobility expressed on me behaff, ta find us a place ta play, tis most certainly appreciated.

Second, 't appear ta meself dat this here Mr C's might 'ave da right proper compensitory attitude, to sponsor a session, now and again ... 'haps in fortnight or so? ;o)
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Ron:
I was thinking something very similar myself.

Curioso:
I'll definitely give that a look-see! It's a little far for me, but could be worth it.

Lee:
I know it was the ultimate sacrifice...but I felt it was my duty to face such a terrible fate with dignity and stoicism. :smile: The regular bartender (the irish lass) has gone back to Ireland for a week, but we traded email addresses. I feel certain that she would make us feel more than welcome :smile:

Greg

BTW: at the Mucky Duck and at Slante's, they have 'drink tickets' for the players, so all the players can get one or two on the house as well.