I've just performed for the first time at my folk club!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
andy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andy »

Ive done it, I played my whistle for the first time in public at my local folk club. What an experience, I was very nervous, yet still managed to get through my three tunes without anyone throwing empty beer bottles or booing me. Great stuff, Im now working on another 4 pieces for next month.
To anyone who is interested in performing, yet are a little unsure about performing, I would say go for it!! I feel so much more confident on my whistle now.

Eventually I will have (hopefully) enough material to be able to get gigs at hotels/pubs, I may need as little as around 25 tunes for a 2 set show. I hope Im not sounding like a bit of a big head or a real jerk, but I think if I can do it,anyone can, bring the music to the people.

All the best, Andy
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

It's a blast, isn't it? Keep up the good work, and keep us posted.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

YES!!! Go for it Andy! (:

Enjoy!
Tom
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I'm going to play in my first session this weekend in SLC with Brian, I already have butterflys the size of 747's in my belly
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

That's great, Andy. You're on your way! Gm
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Congrats on making the big-time!
Just curious:

What songs have you been playing for your debuts?
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
AnnaDMartinez
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Fantastic! Good for you! I get stage fright so badly, I puke. I won't go near a mike or a stage! I've been playing on the streets of Deadwood because people ignore me. Then again, my whistle can outshout any plugged-in acoutic guitars in the room during the open mikes and jam sessions! I'm getting tired of early Dylan and rock cover songs, though!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2001-08-11 16:40 ]</font>
Dorffly1

Post by Dorffly1 »

Great!!! keep it up...it's quite an experience I know. I play in a monthly session here in Lynchburg Va and also sit in with some friends who have a group that plays clubs. I get asked to get up and improvise some blues stuff and Louis Armstrong tunes on whistle...what a kick!!
andy

Post by andy »

Hello all, thanks for your posts firstly.

To Anna Martinez, I think you should have a go performing on stage, yes you get nervous (i sure did), but the more you do, the more comfortable you will feel at performing live under pressure (not just at home/busking on street corners-- no disrespect inteneded), till eventually you wont even notice it. Your playing/musicianship will steadily improve on gigs. In short, you wont look back.

To StewySmoot, I played DROWSY MAGGIE, BLARNEY PILGRIM and THE KESH JIG.

This month im working on LONDONDERRY AIR, BEHIND THE HAYSTACK, TENPENNY BIT and THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY. Im hoping to perform these 4 in about 3 weeks at my local Folk Club, although we are expecting our first child around that time. As much as im loving the thought of a little baby in the house, i would dearly be sad if I didn't perform. Im praying for the two to not to coinside!

To Dorffly1, how do u find improvising on whistle, im just starting to play around with the idea. When I try, I get so excited, I basically overplay, and forget to breathe basically just a hole heap of ramblings and wasted /poor note choice. Still very early days for me.

Take it easy Andy