New form of WhOA...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

This thread has gotten out of hand.
Does anyone know where I can pick up a cello cheap? I'd take a tuba, too. Tuba was the only instrument left after all the other kids got their pick, so that was my instrument of choice. I moved up to the Suzz..suos...souse..that big thing that you get inside of.
Blaine McArthur
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaine McArthur »

I think Joe makes Tubas, but I don't know about Cellos. Maybe Fred does. My brother in law has a brass one and a silver one and one that is both silver and brass (tubas, not cellos.)

BTW, since the cello is really just a Low Violin, I wonder what the wind requirements are.

[And just in case you are serious, check out:

http://www.1800usaband.com Utilitarian band/orchestra instrument cheap.]

Blaine
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

Well....I tried to post a msg yesterday...many problems with computer.
I started out thinking I had MIAD but then thought it was due to MTD (Multiple Thought Disorder). Started out at early age with piano and accordion(forget all that). I thought I was really doing great things with a Boombah from PA but banned from the jam after a couple sessions. Now? Whistle, flutes, fife, bodhran, hammer dulcimer, auto harp, lap harp(s) fiddle, guitar....no I don't play them all....just look at them. Hope to play all before I leave this world. Gm PS..also llike to learn Highland drumming. It's a disease folks.
stimps

Post by stimps »

Hrm... I don't see it as a problem really (I can give it up ANYTIME FOLKS -- and please don't look in the back of my toilet tank for my hidden susatos -- Lost Weekend reference for you movie fans). :grin:

I started off playing the Hammond organ when I was four or so, and hated it. Played for about 9 years, and never really learned to read music, just copied what my teacher showed me, and made it to grade 13 or something even so. I finally got an acoustic guitar at age 12 or so, and suddenly it all made sense... I could read music, and was playing like crazy. Went through the Berklee method for guitars in about 2 years after that, concentrating on classical music.

I had a big break after that where I didn't play much of anything due to personal crap intruding, but in the last few years I'm back into the guitar, the mandolin, the acoustic and electric bass guitar, numerous tinwhistles both high and low, irish flute, nose whistle, amusing eggplant shaped maracas, and some pretty bad harmonica.

My latest purchase was a Tacoma mandolin, and it's a joy to play. I can't believe how much easier it is on my hands to plonk around on. Hooray!

As far as time spent practicing, I've been doing 2 or so a day. I hope to increase it to 4 or so, maybe more... it's been very easy for me to do that more and more often since I gave up my IRC addiction 2 and a half months ago. :wink:

So in summary, I'm not sure if I'd call it an addiction or if it just makes me a Renaissance Woman... :grin:

stimps de milo
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

My, did this thread take off!

I know a lot of people who share my particular affliction - a love of music without notable talent. I sometimes think it's a matter of "I'm going to keep trying until I find one I'm actually good at."

And believe me, I've played at many.

Chronologically:
Trombone in high school and college
Appalachian Dulcimer
Electronic keyboards
Hammered dulcimer - my greatest failure
Harmonica
Melodica
Whistles, MANY whistles
Celtic harp

OTOH, I have no illusions about ever playing for anyone else - I play for me and I enjoy my efforts immensely.
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

On 2001-08-09 23:44, Chuck_Clark wrote:
I have no illusions about ever playing for anyone else - I play for me and I enjoy my efforts immensely.
while I do enjoy playing my mandolin and guitar with others, I think your words ring true for many of us. I play first and foremost for the sheer joy of playing, without regard to what others think of my playing. (hope that doesn't sound too selfish)

Blaine
tubaman

Post by tubaman »

...Thanks for reminding me, Mack--I forgot about the violin and the cello--they're in the basement (it's okay, I have a dehumidifier in that room...). They are also both on the "waiting to learn" list...someday...sigh. Darn whistles--got my schedule all goofed up!

Cheers,
Paul
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Portable mandolin?As a backpacker guitar sounds just like a banjo being played in the next room,this should come close to a ukelele!
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

stimps de milo

Do the Tacoma mandolins sound as nice as they look. Do you still play the classical guitar? Lately I have been trying to play on the classical guitar the tunes I have learned on the whistle. Fair results so far with a nice mellow sound.

Joe
cj

Post by cj »

I too am a hopeless musical dilettante, doomed to have instruments follow me home. I've suffered from bouts of WHOA, and now I'm learning mandolin and guitar. Is there any cure for this obsessive/compulsive disorder? If I choose to master one instrument, how do make this choice? Oh, the agony and the ecstasy!
stimps

Post by stimps »

On 2001-08-10 08:45, jmssmh wrote:

Do the Tacoma mandolins sound as nice as they look. Do you still play the classical guitar? Lately I have been trying to play on the classical guitar the tunes I have learned on the whistle. Fair results so far with a nice mellow sound.

Joe
Indeed they do sound lovely. Most of the others I've played or tried out before buying this one have sounded somewhat tinny (or at least did *after* I tried the Tacoma out. :wink: I've found that a lot of mandolins I've tried had at least some buzz on the lower strings, but this one has none. Also, I can play it about twice as long as other mandolins because of the nice high frets. It was expensive (895$ canadian), but rather cheap compared to the 795$ US list price ... I'd have expected to pay a lot more.

I still play classical guitar on my normal acoustic guitar... I've never really gotten up the gumption to buy a real classical style one. I also play a lot of tunes I learn on one instrument on another... and the other day I was getting really weird, playing bass lines, melody lines, and rhythm lines all on one song on the mandolin. Talk about getting mixed up...

take care!

stimps