Kiawa Flute/Bamboo Blues Pennywhistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NicksterNM

Post by NicksterNM »

Today is my birthday and I was just given a Kiawa Love Flute (this makes me a bit nervous as I was a guy who gave it to me, I wish to call it a just Kiawa Flute. We work at a Newspaper, I am a graphic artist, he a sales rep . He sells the space and I create concepts and themes and set the ads.)

The flute can be seen at the maker's website
eriktheflutemaker.com
he also has bamboo pennywhistles including one he says has a "blues scale" I remember somebody posting about blues whistling. Cant remember if it was here or at Mudcat.org
There are two tubes that extend out at an angle from a mouthpiece.
The mouthpiece has two air pasages one to a straight tube that drones the other to a 5 holed tube wher you play melody. I guess this is technically a whistle,is it not?

Cool whatever it is. So what kind of things should I play with it? Suggestions please.
Blaine McArthur
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaine McArthur »

I wonder if Erik's double barreled "Kiowa Love Flute" is an invention of his own? It does appear to appear to have the "bird" (saddle block) fixture on it top like a normal Native American flute, but I have not read anything about a Native American flute with two barrels. But then, my knowledge of Native American flutes is not comprehensive. As for playing them, your guess is as good as mine.

Erik makes a number of interesting items. I almost bought one of his bamboo saxes, but ended up going with a Xaphoon bamboo sax (steep learning curve!)

I am particularly interested in Erik's copy of the Jiahu Crane Flute. My degree is in Anthropology,and I remember reading about these 9000 year old "Chinese" flutes made from the wing bone of a crane.

Blaine
NicksterNM

Post by NicksterNM »

I too have an anthropology degree, which explains why I make my living as a graphic artist!
Blaine McArthur
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaine McArthur »

Yeah, I know. After I graduated I tried to open up a little anthroplogy shop, but ...... :smile:

Blaine
Jose Ortega y Gasset