Oiling tuning slides

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KATaylor5
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Oiling tuning slides

Post by KATaylor5 »

Hi all.

Just got a Syn C, D, Eb set from Gaelic's Crossings. 3 bodies, one head.
The tuning slide is really hard to move and if I have it all the way on, it's usually impossible to get going again.

I tried my clarinet key oil..that was bad...wiped it off.
tried trombone slide oil...nuttin.

Would Vaseline work?

What do you guys use?

Thanks.
Ash.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ash. »

I use 'sil-glyde' on my two piece copeland , you can get it at most napa auto stores. It works a treat.

:)

Ash.
'Better to learn with your whole body
so you'll remember with your whole body'

Don juan matus.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The only time I ever had a slide that was that tight, it was out-of-round. It seems unlikely that would be the case with three different tubes, but you might have a look at the ends and make sure they didn't get bent in transit or something.

You probably oughta email Erle about this.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Are the tuning slides clean? If they are not shiny metal, then clean them up and put some grease on. Vaseline should work. I use cork grease, the same as I use for flutes. If it doesn't get a lot better, contact Erle.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Oiling tuning slides

Post by Loren »

KATaylor5 wrote:Hi all.

Just got a Syn C, D, Eb set from Gaelic's Crossings. 3 bodies, one head.
The tuning slide is really hard to move and if I have it all the way on, it's usually impossible to get going again.

I tried my clarinet key oil..that was bad...wiped it off.
tried trombone slide oil...nuttin.

Would Vaseline work?

What do you guys use?

Thanks.
Depends on how the slide is constructed - are there O-rings, or is it just metal on metal?

My suggestion, as the first thing to do, contact the maker and ask him. Failing that, clean the slide first - remove all the oils, greases, etc. that have gotten on there - acetone or alcohol and some rubbing should get the job done, but if you lack those, you could try dish detergent on a rag.

Once the slide parts are clean and dry, try the slide again - most (but not all) metal whistle slides are meant to be used with no lubrication at all, and addling oil or grease can actually cause the slide to bind.

OTH, some slides are meant to be lubed, oils generally don't work well, they can also cause sticking. Some slides use o-rings, and these would also require some lubrication, but a slide that uses o-rings and binds severly probably has other issues as well.

In the end, it could be you have a bent/deformed slide tube, but the first way to rule that out, is to clean off all the oil and junk you currently have on there, then find out what the maker recommends (no lube or lube, and what type), then if you still are having problems with the slide, it is most likely damage or a defect in the slide tubing/fit.

My guess: The whistles had been sitting for a while before you bought them, and so tarnish built up on the slides. Tarnish causes an otherwise perfectly fitting (non-lubricated) slide to feel quite tight, and can cause binding. Not knowing this, you tried oiling the slide, rather than polishing it with a polishing cloth, and in the process maybe made the situation a little worse. No biggie, it happens. If you clean and dry ALL the slide parts well, removing all the oil/grease/dirt etc., you'll also take a bit of the tarnish off and things will probably be fine.

Good luck,

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

chas wrote:The only time I ever had a slide that was that tight, it was out-of-round. It seems unlikely that would be the case with three different tubes
You are correct. If cleaning (and lubing, if that's what the maker recommends) doesn't solve the problem, then the likely explanation would be that the out of round or damaged part of the slide is that which is in the headjoint, which would more or less equally affect all the body sections.

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Henke wrote:I use cork grease, the same as I use for flutes.
Just as a general note of interest: Cork grease should never be used on tuning slides as it can harden over time and cause slides to completely freeze to the point where you can not get the whistle apart without taking it to a professional. I've seen this happen on a number of whistles.

Loren
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Loren wrote:
Henke wrote:I use cork grease, the same as I use for flutes.
Just as a general note of interest: Cork grease should never be used on tuning slides as it can harden over time and cause slides to completely freeze to the point where you can not get the whistle apart without taking it to a professional. I've seen this happen on a number of whistles.

Loren
I seem to remember a fairly heated debate on this subject not too long ago. I think the best advice, (already given), is to remove all tarnish, get it really clean, and see how you do. I've never needed to lubricate my Syn set.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Vasoline's the go. If you find the fit consistently tight (it will free up over time), you can buff the male fitting to loosen it all up. If that's not on, get in touch and I'll sort it out for you.
So good it has to be a SYN!
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

Chris Abell tells me that I shouldn't use anything on the Abell slides - just silver on silver.

I agree.
They do work best when they are completely clean, though, and that's at the micro level - sometimes I have to use a soft cloth to "polish" and polish them again and again, even after I think I've done enough.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

tommyk wrote:Chris Abell tells me that I shouldn't use anything on the Abell slides - just silver on silver.

I agree.
They do work best when they are completely clean, though, and that's at the micro level - sometimes I have to use a soft cloth to "polish" and polish them again and again, even after I think I've done enough.

With a silver polishing cloth it'll only take you a minute or so for each whistle.

Loren