Chieftain Gold, a cure for WhOA??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
skywatcher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by skywatcher »

I recieved my Chieftain Gold F directly from Phil Hardy a couple of weeks ago. All I can say is WOW. I own several Sweetones, Generations, and a Cook low D. I could never really play the low D because of my small hands, so I never really enjoyed it as I might. I thought that an F would give me a similar sound in a smaller whistle that I could actually play. For once, I was right.
Even though it is not hand made, it is very finely crafted, and the finish is nice. It doesn't require much air and has a very SWEET
sound. It isn't too quiet, yet not overbearing. It has a very smooth, almost imperceptable transition between octaves and I can finger it almost as fast as my high D. Yes, the brass is a little heavier than aluminum, but it works much better as a weapon in pub brawls. It is also a beautiful instrument. This might be THE whistle that cures my WhOA.
God bless you all!
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

An exhaustive search of medical and psychological software demonstrates that there IS NO known cure for WhOA. Palliative measures, generally in the form of a new whistle which is either A) more expensive than any previous whistle owned by the sufferer; or, B) a great buy (see eBay) has been shown to have a suppressant effect on the WhOA symptom complex in some sufferers. However, long-term amelioration of the malady has not been demonstrated despite some premature claims to that effect.
skywatcher

Post by skywatcher »

Oh, Chuck!
How depressing! If this whistle won't be the cure, maybe the next one will be, or the next
one, or the next one, or the next one...or the next one...or the next one.........
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

I got a chance to play a Cheiftain Gold low D at Melody Music in Houston, and while the whistle was much more substantial than the regular low D, my ears really couldn't hear any difference...
That said, I really do like the chieftain low D :smile:

Greg
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I got a Chieftain Gold (mezzo-soprano/alto) A a few months ago. It is a beautiful whistle with a clear tone. I really like the substancial feel of the whistle. In the Key of A the whistle has a nice blend of regular and low whistle character. It is my 3rd most played whistle after my Overton (tenor) Low-D and Burke narrow bore composite Soprano D.
It play easily in the key of D so, I plan to use it to explore tune harmonies, such as, playing a thirds, drones, and chord arpegios.

It is also that first whistle that has the same fingering for The keynote (A) and the first octave. In other words, I use XXXXXX for the octave A as well as the bell tone A. I believe this is because the end of the whistle is slightly flared.

Wether it's WhOA relief or not, it will still help you ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2001-08-08 13:05 ]</font>