My "change of life" and an Overton south-paw modal DC whistl

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mark_J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mark_J »

Today, for the first time since early 1999, I have no whistles on order and no whistles in the mail. There are no plans for other whistle purchases. I think I am in WhOA remission. This is a modest "change of life" or even a new era. We’ll see if this lasts.

Yesterday I got a note from the post office informing me that I had a certified package from Germany. My concentration on most things was about nil until this morning at about 9 am. I took delivery today on a fairly unique whistle. I thought it would be totally unique before I talked to Colin Goldie, but evidently, he had three left-handed modal DC whistles for me to choose from. Colin played them for me on the phone (the other two already have homes, you may be able to hear one, though as I expect it will be on a recording some time soon based on its owner). I took the one I thought I could handle. There were subtle differences from what I could hear on the phone. I think this one required less air in the upper second register and was also less loud over the same range. I’ve been calling this my south paw since I asked Colin to make it for me.

It is going to take me a while to put this whistle through it’s paces. I certainly don’t have the skill to put this whistle to decent use in quick order. I have noticed that covering/not covering the F natural hole does have some effect on cross fingering. I want to use the tuner on my computer, but the volume control application has some issues right now and my microphone jack is in the off setting. My ear is OK but I don’t trust giving a review until I have a decent tuner handy. I can see my south-paw very useful for tunes that are inflected on F (having F natural and F sharp) like the Wexford Carroll. I also am writing a three part song for the 1798 rebellion that has two parts in E minor and one part in D minor. It will definitely help with that, however, I can’t sing with a whistle in my mouth (which is a good thing for unsuspecting listeners).

I’ll hopefully update folks about the range/utility of this whistle. One thing I can say now is that Colin experimented with a thinner gauge of aluminum tubing. I tried a D Colin made when I was at East Durham last month. The owner was trying to sell it. I liked it, but had no interest as it would be redundant with the one I now have. I can say that I do like this new thinner gauge right from the beginning and with no hesitation. I think it plays easier and sweeter that the D of the thicker gauge that I tried.

Also, I hope to update everyone about the possibility of WhOA remission being an actual phenomenon.

Prost!
Mark Johnston

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mark_J on 2001-08-07 11:32 ]</font>
BruceW

Post by BruceW »

Mark,

Any other extra holes besides the Fnat?
Did you ask Colin if he has added more holes to other whistles -- D#, G#, Bb, Cnat?

Bruce
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

On 2001-08-07 17:31, BruceW wrote:
Mark,

Any other extra holes besides the Fnat?
Did you ask Colin if he has added more holes to other whistles -- D#, G#, Bb, Cnat?

Bruce
It has a C natural, but not the one your thinking of. This C natural is at the bottom of the whistle which is the length of a narrow bore C whistle. It allows you to play D/G tunes like a regular D whistle, but it also allows C/F tunes like a C whistle (you need the B flat cross fingering to get F tunes, even on a regular whistle, so no extra hole for that). My tuner's down, but the Bflat cross finger sounds great to me when doing the F major scale.

As for the other holes (Eb/D# & Ab/G#), you'll have to ask him yourself. Those are the two tones that would allow you to play in Bb&Eb as well as A and E (and make you fully chromatic come to think of it). I may be able to cross finger the Ab/G# giving me the A major, but the Eb looks as if it will need half holing unless I become a genious in the next few days.

cheers
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Drat!

The G# is not working out as a cross finger.

The Eb, however is very easy to half hole. I think the lenght of the whistle helps a lot.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Heya Mark,

Congrats on the new Overton, you lucky dog! I should be receiving a few new whistles from Colin any day now and the suspense is killing me, I've got a whopping case of W.A.S. (Whistle Anticipation Syndrome).

Low C and Soprano D, where ever you are, Come to papa......
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Sorry Loren,

He must 'of accidently put my address on the package. They just showed up at my door. Don't worry, I'll send them on eventually.

:wink: Erik
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Erik,

Don't even joke...... You wouldn't want to make a grown man cry, would you?

Loren
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Loren wrote: ...I should be receiving a few new whistles from Colin any day now...
Loren, there's something I've been meaning to ask you: are you the owner of literally the largest collection of Overtons on the planet?
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Steve,

Hah! I wish!! While I am working toward that goal :smile:, currently there are several people here on the message board who have quite a few more Overtons than I. Several claim to have full sets, but I believe Colin purposely makes this impossible by always coming up with new whistles, like the modal D/C and Bass G, to keep us from ever having them all =;^).

Actually Steve, you'll probably be surprised to hear that I only have the following keys (all Goldie Overtons except where noted):

2 Low D's (Standard and "Big Hole"), F, G, A, and Soprano D (Bernard).

That's not so many, right? Of course this is about to change any day now...... :smile:

Loren