I'm new here

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DixieWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DixieWhistler »

Sara --

I think I've been playing since March, although the fact that I'm actually "playing" is debatable, sometimes I think I'm just "making noise..." :smile: I suppose it's safest just to say that I bought my first whistle sometime around then.

My biggest problem is practicing -- I can't stand to practice when I know someone is listening, so I only really play when I'm the only one home. I so envy the ones here who take their whistles to the park or in the car, etc.!

~S~
Sara

Post by Sara »

jbgibson,
I meant age mostly. I didn't think that many teens would play the pennywhistle. From what I have gathered, I can tell you all are extremely serious about the pennywhistle and I think that's totally cool! :smile: I'll go to that MP3.com. I'm curious to hear his whistle playing. I have never heard of the Clips & Snips site, I'm looking forward to going there. I've only been playing the whistle for 2 weeks, so I can't play a lot of songs, but I can play "First Jig", "First Waltz" and "First March" I just finished learning the "First March" and I still have trouble with it, but I can play it. Now I'm working on "First Reel". Is there a "first" theme going on.... :smile:
Cheerio,
~*§ara*~
P.S. Thanks for the welcome!
Tillek

Post by Tillek »

Phew! I thought it was all old people on this board. :wink: Just kidding.

Yup, I'm a teen too... (as well?) Nice to see I'm not alone in my enjoyment of the pennywhistle.
Tillek

Post by Tillek »

Are you using the Step One Learn to Play the Pennywhistle book? That's about the only book I have of sheet music. It's got some nice songs in it... once you get past all the 'first somethings' :wink:
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

Speaking of teens, I just heard from our young friend Kardshark. It seems he is plunging into WHOA with full abandon. He told me that he just placed an order with Thom for:

a walton's little black d
a clark original "just to mess around w/"
a susato (C)
a susato (low D).
a dixon (D)
He also says he "can't wait for them to get here."

I told him he needs to post this on the board so we can all coo and ooh-ahh about his new whistles and generally make Mark proud of us all.

Blaine
TrevorC

Post by TrevorC »

Hello all.. I thought I might as well add to this post, as it seems to fit me fairly well also.

I, as well, am new to the C&F Boards. Well, maybe not that new. I've been lurking for a couple weeks. And I'm a teenager as well.. turning 18 Friday to be exact.

I've been playing whistle for probably six years or so now.. I like to think that I've gotten pretty good. I've studied with Mary Bergin at East Durham for the past two years, and Geraldine Cotter at Gaelic Roots this summer, also. Besides that I'm essentially self-taught. I've listened to lots and lots of traditional music, so that helps.

As for my whistle collection.. well.

-a Sindt D
-a Sindt A
-a Chieftain Gold D (soprano)
-a Chieftain Low D
-Generations in pretty much every key the come laying about all over the house. (useful for practicing whichever room I happen to be in at the time)
-a few scattered Feadogs, Waltons, Clarkes, etc.

Also, I have a O'Riordan Low D on the way, though it will still be quite a while I think. And I'm trying to decide exactly which Burke whistle to order. I'm leaning towards Low G or F.. don't have either of those keys yet.

So.. I suppose that's all for now.

Happy whistling.

Trevor
Sara

Post by Sara »

Tillek,
Hi, yes, I'm a teen too. :cool: Yes, I'm using "Step One Learn to Play the Pennywhistle". I really like it, but I haven't gotten past the "first somethings" I'm looking forward to when I do get past them. I take it you're way beyond those? I'm finding that "First Reel" is sooooo incredibly hard. Why I'm having a hard time playing it is because the song mostly consists of eighth notes, and I'm having a very hard time playing that fast. Oh well... I'll get it eventually. :wink:
Cheerio,
w/b/s
§ara

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sara on 2001-08-09 10:21 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sara on 2001-08-09 17:27 ]</font>
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

On 2001-08-09 10:19, Sara wrote:
I'm finding that "First Reel" is sooooo incredibly hard. Why I'm having a hard time playing it is because the song mostly consists of eighth notes, and I'm having a very hard time playing that fast.
Hi Sara,

Speed Kills.

I have a humble suggestion that I am echoing from scores of people and publications about whistle playing. Learn to play a tune well at whatever slow speed is necessary. You can slowly bring that tune up to speed and it will sound nice. However, if you try to play the tune fast as soon as possible before you make it sound nice, it will never sound nice. For some reason it will always sound hurried. You may want to try playing it at the pace of a slow march at first, then after months of work, bring it up to moderate reel speed.

Good luck
Cheers.

Mark Johnston
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

Help! They're everywhere! They're coming out of the woodwork! Where have you teens been hiding??? I think it's great that you are taking up the whistle.....I can really relate as I am in my second childhood. I have more whistles than I will ever play and they keep coming and I love it.
All kidding aside.....welcome to our world. You will learn as much from this board as you will any place.....that's a promise. Holler if I can help. Grannymouse
Tillek

Post by Tillek »

*grin* your right, we're flooding the place! Almost like lemmings...

Yea, I find it easier to play the tunes slow at first, taking them one section at a time until I can play that section well. The only downside to this is you get really good at playing the first half, but when you get to the second half of the song it tends to be worse since you've practiced so much with the first part. Maybe that's just me. :smile:
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Sara, hi and welcome from the grampa of a teen (Brittany, 14) She, my wife, and I are learning the bodhran. Now there's an obsession for you!
Gramps Mack