PSSSSST Wanna know a secret?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

To some that already know it isn't a secret, is it Brian Lee ?

In this world of whistledom, some of us who truelly love playing and collecting whistles, also play other instuments. No secret really-- but some of us play the bodhran with as much passion as we play and collect whistles. You can read my profile.

An instrument maker that some of us admire greatly now has his own website, and I am going unabashedly give it below. Because this is a truelly remarkable bodhran, and it is :
http://www3.sympatico.ca/halpin/

Yes, it is Fred Halpin of Ottawa Canada.In some sessions I hesitate to what I want to play, the whistle ? the bodhran? I love them both. If there is a player of greater skill than I, and there is in our sessions either on whistle or flute, I like to accompany them on the bodhran so I can listen to them and learn from them, rather at times try to play along and emulate and learn from them. Listening is my greatest tool for learning.

Mark
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Nope Mark! No secret here! :smile:

I will second the comments you've made wholeheartedly! I never thought a drum could be 'musical' in it's tone, but for those of you who play...this one IS! I've heard his quality isn't what it was five years ago, and that if you're at all interested, you should order one sooner rather than later.

Even so, I have never heard a bodhrán sound like his do. Soft and sweet, yet deep and powerful all at the same time. Distant thunder might be a good analogy. It's usualy fairly quiet, but just hearing it, you know it's a big thing! Goofy analogy, I know, but now Marks got me started! :smile:

Try to hear one if you can, or just drop Fred a note.

Before ya know it, me may need a Bodhrán forum here too! Oh joyus day caloo calay I'll chorttle in my joy!

Bri~
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

OK, boys...my tax check from Uncle George should be here soon...(groan with impatience)...

Tom
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hi Tom

I have owned a Halpin 19" bodhran for five years now and have played in conditions verging on freezing to tonight with the humidex at 43c. It stays in tune.

A friend of mine in Windsor who sings and plays the bodhran in his band the Tarten Army bought a Halpin 15" last year and the quality of the bodhran is as good as ever, and he really is in love with it. A 19" is to heavy to stand and play.

I just ordered from Fred a 27" bodhran for $550 Canadian. It will be hear next week.

I also own an Alfonso, and a Grady -14". Which I bought from students who gave up after several years of trying to play, what they thought was an easy instrument to play. Both of them couldn't dance to save their lives. A four other odd sizes of bodhrans also.

On the Halpin I have a fantastic range of sound to suit any music the others throw at me, or the fit the mood I'm in that night.

You can beat out a baby's heart beat, then go to a thundering march with no effort. And you never need a hair dryer, or spritzer bottle.

Mark