whistle amplification?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

Hi! I've recently been to a pub "session" where my whistles are inaudible, especially in the lower octave. So right now I need a whistle amplifer.

I cannot find the clip on amplifers and mini mics the guitarist use, nor get Microvox locally (which means additional shipping costs). Is it possible for me to use a pair of small discman speakers and attach a mini clip on mic to them for amplification?
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Are you sure? The point isn't to be heard over everyone, after all, and all of the <i>other</i> whistle players in the world manage to blend in. :smile:

I can't think of having ever been to a session where someone used amplification for anything. If you do decide it's necessary, be sure to clear it with whoever runs the session (or with the regulars if there's no real leader), because something like that sounds like a great way to get unpopular fast..
<ul>-Rich</ul>
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Please don't show up to a session with amplification, you will be turned out immediately. A session is freindly coming together to share and play music, not a show.
Check to see who you are sitting beside, if they are louder than you find another spot in the circle with a like instrument. It is not easy to play and listen to yourself and others when having a good go at it. But if you are playing well, you are heard.

Confidence it your own playing ability will go a long way in you being heard.
Whistleworks

Post by Whistleworks »

Please read the previous posts carefully. There is a whole bunch of good advice there about not amplfying whistles in sessions. I have the same "problem" and nothing should be done about it. Someone once asked me which tunes allowed the whistle to reach high into the second octave so that they can be better heard but never amplified. If you are playing a gig for a festival or in a pub, that's different, but a session? Absolutely regard the previous posts. They will save your musical life.

Best wishes,

Bob Pegritz
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hey guys! Thanks for the advice with regards to sessions amplification in pubs. I've also read the post that session cutting whistles are not always welcome in Ireland. I don't think I'll ever think of bringing anything louder than a Generation for those, especially when my playing is still not too far from amateurish!

However I don't know if all the trad session rules may apply because the "session" I'm in is not a traditional session as you would find in a normal pub in Ireland or in the US (hence the " ").

Its run by my celtic "band thingy" and my band members tell me that they can't hear me whistling (esp in lower registers). So I can't start a tune properly. That causes some trouble in doing arrangements of tunes we play (sometimes you can't hear the melody as we only have 2 melody instruments).

Is it okay to mic your whistle in this situation, or should I keep the session rule and remain unplugged? Thanks again!
Whistleworks

Post by Whistleworks »

Do what you think is best only after reading the previous posts again. If it were me, I'd ask everyone in the session about this and get a majority vote before doing anything about it.

Very best of luck,

Bob Pegritz
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

What brand of whistle are you playing that is being drowned out?
eskin

Post by eskin »

Amplifying whistles for sessions is a very bad idea, IMHO, but if you need to amplify your whistle for a band situation, as I do for my band Kitchenfire,

http://www.kitchenfiremusic.com

I use a head mounted mike, works like incredibly well. The microphone is an AKG C420:

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/produc ... m=AKG+C420

Cheers,

Michael
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Sorry Eldarion I didn't know or you didn't immediately identify that you were in a "band thingy" rather than a traditional session.

If you are in a band thingy and the others also mic'ed, then go ahead amplify. But even with good amplification you can lose the low notes on a whistle. That has been my experience, and in the instances--that is were I take a breath, especially if everything you are playing is at speed.